It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-year-old examined, sold at mock in-class slave auction, Wants apology from teacher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

An Ohio elementary school missed the point of a teaching opportunity when it allowed 10-year-old students to feel each other and evaluate each other's worth in a mock slave auction.

According to a report from 10tv, the local television station, the American history class at a Gahanna, Ohio, elementary school was divided up in "masters" and "slaves" to illustrate the inequalities of slavery.

"The masters go to touch people and do all sorts of stuff," 10-year-old Nikko Burton told the television station. "They got to look in your mouth and feel your legs and stuff and see if you're strong and stuff."

Burton's mother complained to the school, who told her that the mock auction is part of the state-approved curriculum.

"He felt degraded, he was hurt and the kids picked on him later," she said.

But while the school has apologize, Nikko hopes for an apology from his teacher.

"It was kind of mean and she should have said sorry."

www.torontosun.com...

That's.....
Well I understand that this is part "learning"
But I cannot see anything good coming from this

Especially for the black students, this must be very embarrasing for them at such a young age.
There's probably a hundred better ways to teach about inequality in slavery than like this

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure on this one, but I think the child is a bit a young?
I recall a similar lesson in the year before high-school.
The teacher asked: "What does it mean to be a slave?"
We had some vague idea, and kids basically said it means you have to work very hard for somebody else.
Then the teacher took a girl as an example and made her stand on a chair and asked how much we'd pay for her.
She was already very shy and unpopular and boys shouted ridiculous amounts like 20 Cents.
Well, we all got the message.
Slavery means you actually own somebody, like you own a book or a doll.
But still even in an all-white school back then, it was cruel and the teacher should have known better.
Get an older drama class to copy it, or even professional actors.
School then was pretty violent and there were hidden racist innuendos everywhere.
I still feel for that girl and how she was grabbed by the arm and made to stand on a chair.
No ladies and gents.
Get some actors to demonstrate, because with children a play is not just acting.
edit on 6-3-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is another ridiculous example of what is wrong with our school system. There are so many better ways to teach this subject matter than to put the students through this type of exercise. I don't think we need to pull punches when teaching about the evils of the slavery era, but having the students size each other up to determine their worth as chattel shouldn't be one of them.

The best example I have seen to teach children about buying and selling human beings as property was at the mock slave auction put on at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. There were many children present as the reenactors staged a slave auction as realistically as possible. As the children watched, many of them were asking their parents what was going on. The parents around me were very straightforward with their children and you could see both the interest and revulsion on their faces as the children realized what was happening.

A lesson well served and well learned.

You don't need to put the children through something like that when there are other ways to teach them about slavery.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I think we had the same idea, but I was still typing mine when you replied.

Good answer friend!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Okay so I wanna throw my 2 cents in. At the part where the mother states her opinions on the issue at her sons school, she looks to her left with her eyes. A lot of psychology has proven that about lying that the way you look when telling someone something could tell you if that person is lying or not. If you look to the right that usually can mean that you're telling the truth. Makes me wonder if this is just a hoax. They said they have it on video but I haven't seen it yet.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Humiliating, scaring and intimidating children as a means to "educate" is not a good practice. This sort of "exercise" would only be suitable to young adults capable of critical-thinking.

When one is scared, humiliated or just outright turned-off by a situation.. well, they are just that... Turned off, their mind is off and they are not learning anything. Do we really need to humiliate young children to assure them that "slavery is bad". Yea, I'm sure slavery will spark up again if we don't get 'em while they're young.

This is the problem with the American school system. It's all about humiliation, embarrassment, pressure. It's just classless indoctrination and opposition to reason, and critical thought. It's not preparing children for a "harsh and uncaring world", it is simply grooming them to become just that, the progenitors of such a world.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is another ridiculous example of what is wrong with our school system. There are so many better ways to teach this subject matter than to put the students through this type of exercise.

That's exactly right. I don't think that this should have happened, and plenty of different routes could've been taken on the subject. However, as mentioned in the video, only 1 parent voiced their animosity over the the problem, and then being the only one to bring race into the picture. In this situation, Unless all black kids were "slaves" and other races were "masters", there shouldn't be any talk about "racism."

Until we stop looking for an excuse to incite rage over racism, it will never go away.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is part of official school curriculum? Boggles the mind. I think it's inappropriate and the ONLY way this might fly as a "learning moment" is if every single student goes through the process as both "master/slave" though even then, I think its really poor taste and there are much better ways to experientially teach the children the same point.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
This is part of official school curriculum? Boggles the mind. I think it's inappropriate and the ONLY way this might fly as a "learning moment" is if every single student goes through the process as both "master/slave" though even then, I think its really poor taste and there are much better ways to experientially teach the children the same point.

I find it hard to believe. I think they are taking great liberties at exaggerating what the curriculum really is. It's probably along the lines of, "Explain the lesson, and use a general lesson exercise if the students are having trouble grasping the subject." Which would normally mean, write crap on the board and answer questions, not do something silly like humiliate students.

No, but really, I'm sure the curriculum actually says, "Take advantage of any black students in the classroom, and have all the white students ridicule the volunteered student."

Not like it matters what race the child is, it would be humiliating for anyone.
edit on 6-3-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

You hit that right on the head of the nail. Some of these idiots who call themselves teachers need to think about the ages of the kids they involve. You do NOT subject a child to a degrading experience, especially a shy one.

new topics

top topics

join