It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hedge Fund warns of South African Blow up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

London - South Africa is flawed and set to "blow up" within the next 15 years with more serious consequences than Libya, says Toscafund, one of the UK's most high-profile hedge funds.

It tips commodity-rich Russia and Australia to benefit.

Chief economist and partner Savvas Savouri, who has been researching South Africa's economy, cites emigration of professional workers and what he sees as a "lack of centralised leadership" when it comes to dealing with problems such as the Aids epidemic.

"It's socially, politically and demographically flawed. It will malfunction within 15 years. It will go the way of MENA (the Middle East and North Africa) but the blow-up will be much more serious," Savouri told Reuters in an interview this week.

Source-News24

Well I'm sure there are alot of South Africans who already predicted some kind of chaos erupting in South Africa. Guess that's why so many of them packed their stuff and left.

Idiots like Julius Malema isn't helping much either...

Johannesburg - The ANC Youth League president Julius Malema has said his organisation wanted 60% of Anglo American, City Press reported on Sunday.

Source-News24

This is bound to scare away even more investors. Wish this guy could shut up about nationalizing mines.

The sooner we get people like these out of the gov the better things will become. Unfortunately South Africans can't unite together for anything. We'd rather just moan and play the blame game before we actually try and change anything.

Maybe it's a lack of good leadership or maybe South Africans have been so divided that it's impossible for us to look past our little differences and band together.Either way, if we don't we will most probably end up like our neighbour Zimbabwe.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Sounds like the U.S. isn't the only country with economic failure in its future. Unfortunately I see this spreading like a domino effect around the world, ultimately caused by greed and corruption.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Malema also said that they should have lots of babies for the revolution!

Now how daft is that to say in a country, where millions are unemployed. Malema has a serious brain defect!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by madleo

Yeah, this guys is obviously just looking for trouble. Mean.. what does he want to have a revolution for??
It's crazy.

Yup, only 13million(of working age) are employed out of a country of 50 or more million people. Like you said... unemployment is already so high

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I dont believe this, Yes South Africa has its issues but I believe president Zuma is doing an excellent job at the moment. While the rest of the world is going through a bad recession South Africa is still doing ok and the Rand has been at its strongest in years.

Looking at the world, there are plenty other countries I would rather not be in, than South Africa. Look at the UK with all the thugs and drug users and how the kids get away with anything. 15 years down the line there and they are going to have a massive issue with an unqualified work force.

Not picking on the UK but just making a point that 15 years is a long time and with the right leadership any country can turn it self around. Let just hope that we have presidents to follow in Zuma's and Mandela's foot path to making our country a better place

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bluedrake

I know the world has problems, obviously, but we do not live in the UK. What this guy is saying is true. South Africa is flawed in many ways.

(1)Politics are a joke.
(2)We have a high unemployment rate.
(3)We have millions streaming over our borders looking for refuge and becoming heavy weight on our economy.
(4)I'm sure we have one of the highest crime rates in the world and if not the highest definitely the most gruesome and violent.

.... I can go on and on about all the problems South Africans are facing..

You say Zuma is doing a good job I say he has failed us. I'm not satisfied with the mediocre. And S.A. politics is definitely mediocre.

Mean, the type of crap these people spew from their mouths is mind boggling. What's even more scary is that people allow it. We've become tolerant of it and it's just dragging us down.

Think Zuma and his gang are just a bunch of thugs. They could have done so much more for this country yet they aren't. Their only objective is to line their pockets with tax payers money.

The real miracle is the people living in this country. The people making an effort. Just getting up and going to work everyday... they're the real miracles. They're the real heroes.

Think if it wasn't for some peoples determination this country would have been turned into an African tragedy a long time ago.

Think the day South Africa blows up is when the people of this country stop giving a damn.

The A.N.C(Zuma) hasn't done anything exceptional the last couple of years except hitch a ride on Mandela's legacy.

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hi there peeps.

Being a young, South African male, myself. (24) I can still kind of remember the "Apartheid" years. I was still just a kid, probably ate my own boogers (but hey, what 6 year old doesn't?). I was never broad up racist or told that I was better than anyone else. I believed everybody was family. I only learned about the "Grand Apartheid" much later in my life.

A short description:

With the enactment of apartheid laws in 1948, racial discrimination was institutionalized. Race laws touched every aspect of social life, including a prohibition of marriage between non-whites and whites, and the sanctioning of ``white-only'' jobs. In 1950, the Population Registration Act required that all South Africans be racially classified into one of three categories: white, black (African), or colored (of mixed decent). The coloured category included major subgroups of Indians and Asians. Classification into these categories was based on appearance, social acceptance, and descent. For example, a white person was defined as ``in appearance obviously a white person or generally accepted as a white person.'' A person could not be considered white if one of his or her parents were non-white. The determination that a person was ``obviously white'' would take into account ``his habits, education, and speech and deportment and demeanor.'' A black person would be of or accepted as a member of an African tribe or race, and a colored person is one that is not black or white. The Department of Home Affairs (a government bureau) was responsible for the classification of the citizenry. Non-compliance with the race laws were dealt with harshly. All blacks were required to carry ``pass books'' containing fingerprints, photo and information on access to non-black areas.

Source

It was bad, evil even. Race aside, South Africa was a strong, independent country. Apartheid gave way to our now, corrupted and nearly worthless government who is busy running our beautiful country to the ground.

Look at this information about BEE for instance:

COPE leader Mosiuoa Lekota has accused the government of applying BEE and affirmative-action policies in such a way it results in reverse racism that equates to old-style apartheid policies.

Source

Everybody is losing out on jobs because of affirmative-action. This happening in a country with a HUGE workless class! It's insane! Everything is certainly going to go one of 2 ways.

1. Better (Genuine Racial equality)
2. Worse ( Uhuru )

Personally I am praying for option 1!

But anything is possible

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by maarts69za

Yeah, so am I.

And it's not only whites losing out on jobs its everyone. BEE was suppose to benefit all who was disadvantaged in the years of Apartheid, yet it only benefits blacks.

Mean, the ANC racism has become very obvious. Border line facism.

I see a split though. Mean, one side you have these racist jerks and the other you have people who believe in racially equal nation.

Think it all depends on the masses. The A.N.C. supporters. When will they realize they're supporting the same kind of monster they fought against so many years ago?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

Well i hope that our municipal elections will show some change. I have also realized that it is not the "older" generation which is the culprits, but the younger generation who does not even understand what apartheid was!!

If everybody stands and works together iI believe south africa could be a first world country, but untill then nothing will change. "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by maarts69za

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed that. It really is the younger generation that's stirring all the trouble. God knows why... propaganda? Or just that they feel superior some how...

True, we need a leader that can unite us again.

top topics

join