It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last World War I Veteran dies at 110

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Will American politicians allow the last WW1 warrior to lie in state in the Capital Rotunda?
www.catholic.org...
Frank Buckles enlisted for World War 1 at 16, after lying about his age and lived to be the last veteran of the war. An Army Captain told him the quickest way to get into the war was to be in an ambulance crew. So he did just that. While dodging enemy artillery, mortars, snipers and bullets, Buckles, carried hundreds of US and Allied wounded soldiers and civilians to the safety of hospitals and MASH units.

He will be remembered as a very honorable man, who also survived being a civilian POW in the Philippines in World War Two. When asked in February 20th how it felt to be the last of his kind, he said simply, “I realized that somebody had to be and it was me and I would of done it all over again, without a doubt.” Buckles was born in Missouri in 1901 and raised in Oklahoma. Buckles visited a string of military recruiters after the United States entered the war in April 1917. He was repeatedly rejected before convincing an Army captain he was 18 even though he was actually 16 ½.
Susannah Buckles Flanagan, his daughter, is urging lawmakers to let him lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington, D.C. She stated,” If the last American soldier surviving is not suitable to serve as a symbol around which we can rally to honor those who served their country in the Great War, then who can serve that purpose? There is no one left.”
Buckles lived a long life after war as a true American Patriot, and representing the last all of the fallen warriors of WW1, deserves to lie in state.
We salute brother.
Violater1 out.

edit on 6-3-2011 by Violater1 because: my pen-a strikes out your karma

edit on 6-3-2011 by Violater1 because: To insert the Colors That Never Run.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Without being to much of a bone picker on such a subject, but...

This man may be the last AMERICAN survivor of WW1... but not THE last...as we see here;

The British man believed to be the last surviving combat veteran of World War I is celebrating his 110th birthday. He emigrated to Australia before World War II, and now lives in a nursing home in Perth. Raised by his father, young Claude wanted to be a bugler in the Army and tried to lie about his age so that he could be recruited. When he failed, his father got him onto a Royal Navy training ship instead and he joined up in 1916 at the age of 14.

www.bbc.co.uk...

so as to avoid any confusion...

Funny old world...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i'm sure there are other ww1 survivors from britain, france, japan, germany, russia, ottoman etc etc

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Without being to much of a bone picker on such a subject, but...

This man may be the last AMERICAN survivor of WW1... but not THE last...as we see here;

The British man believed to be the last surviving combat veteran of World War I is celebrating his 110th birthday. He emigrated to Australia before World War II, and now lives in a nursing home in Perth. Raised by his father, young Claude wanted to be a bugler in the Army and tried to lie about his age so that he could be recruited. When he failed, his father got him onto a Royal Navy training ship instead and he joined up in 1916 at the age of 14.

www.bbc.co.uk...

so as to avoid any confusion...

Funny old world...

Thank you for the correction.
Both of these gentlemen are true patriots, of and for, their countries.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
the numerology is getting to me today.
WW1 - 110
released from the catholic church

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join