It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Yosemite Sam” shortwave radio transmission: an American UVB-76?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ok, I just found this short article at Parapolitical. LINK
The article reads:

“Yosemite Sam” is the nickname that has been given to a mysterious shortwave radio transmission that was first reported on December 19, 2004 and may be an American counterpart to Russia’s enigmatic UVB-76 signal. It originates from the Laguna Indian Reservation in a remote area of west-central New Mexico and repeats at the top of each hour. Each transmission consists of a digital data burst followed by a short audio clip from the 1949 cartoon Bunker Hill Bunny in which character Yosemite Sam exclaims “Varmint, I’m a-gonna blow yah to smithereens!” In the original cartoon Bugs Bunny uses a combination of guile and secret weaponry to defeat Yosemite Sam’s heavily fortified redoubt.

The article includes audio of one of the transmissions; and indeed there's a very quick data burst, followed by Yosemite shouting "I’m a-gonna blow yah to smithereens!"

What I find intriguing is that UVB-76 was found in the early 1980s, right? So it's reasonable to speculate that it's a Cold War era project, like a "dead hand" transmission of some kind.

But this broadcast coming from an Indian reserve in New Mexico wasn't discovered until fairly recently. That doesn't mean that is hasn't been around since the early 1980s ... but that also seems unlikely. One would think that it would have been discovered sooner than 2004 if it had been around since the 80s.

So it must be something else. And I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on what this could be.

(By the way, I did a search on “Yosemite Sam” and came up with nothing on both search sections -- titles and general -- so I hope this hasn't been brought up yet.)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Do you know what freq they are using? If I can get Radio Havana on my homeade rig, this should be easy!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Hmmm... there's a post at Wikipedia that says it "transmits on several shortwave frequencies in dual side band: 3700 kHz, 4300 kHz, 6500 kHz, and 10500 kHz."

EDIT: The Wikipedia article also states...

The transmission begins on one of the frequencies. Ten seconds later, it is repeated on the next higher frequency, and so on for a total of two minutes. The entire pattern takes precisely two minutes, and always begins seven seconds after the top of an hour.

Each transmission starts with a data burst lasting 0.8 seconds, followed by the voice of Yosemite Sam exclaiming: "Varmint, I'm a-gonna b-b-b-bloooow yah t'smithereens!" The clip is taken from the 1949 cartoon Bunker Hill Bunny.

edit on 6-3-2011 by mother1138 because: additional information

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I have a recording of the transmission here. Link

The location of the transmission is near Albuquerque, New Mexico. There is more than one transmission. It starts on (dual side band. Edit to add: able to hear on both side bands at same time) at 3700 kHz, 4300 kHz, 6500 kHz, and 10500 kHz in 10 second steps (transmitted every 40 seconds on each frequency). This takes 120 seconds to complete. This is AM with no carrier. The transmissions always start on an offset of 7 seconds.

But that's not the weird part. The thing vanished on 12-23-04 after appearing on the 19th. Then it returned on 2-20-06 with the added frequencies and of the time stations WWV and WWVH (10 and 15 Mhz).

So that's not the weird part. The whole thing started back up again, this time at 3 minutes and Sam says "Take me to the Casbah". This one was much stronger so it was probably a copycat of the original.

This is one of a few likely sources. First, one of the intelligence services (in the desert?), possibly drug related (like they're going to use a data burst), a remote mining operation with automated reports (my favorite) or some clown with way too much time on his hands.

edit on 6-3-2011 by billxam because: information

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
dulce is over there isnt it?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Good weird info here:
Ham vs. Spy Radio

My people can get into some heavy things. I'm not Laguna, but I get the vibes from them of "Keep Out".

Laguna Pueblo

Heavy Native Tech

Put Laguna Indian Reservation NM into google earth and you can look around.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138
reply to post by felonius

Hmmm... there's a post at Wikipedia that says it "transmits on several shortwave frequencies in dual side band: 3700 kHz, 4300 kHz, 6500 kHz, and 10500 kHz."

EDIT: The Wikipedia article also states...

The transmission begins on one of the frequencies. Ten seconds later, it is repeated on the next higher frequency, and so on for a total of two minutes. The entire pattern takes precisely two minutes, and always begins seven seconds after the top of an hour.

Each transmission starts with a data burst lasting 0.8 seconds, followed by the voice of Yosemite Sam exclaiming: "Varmint, I'm a-gonna b-b-b-bloooow yah t'smithereens!" The clip is taken from the 1949 cartoon Bunker Hill Bunny.

edit on 6-3-2011 by mother1138 because: additional information

Thanks Mother!

That should be low enough for my xtal SWB to pick up fairly easy.

new topics

top topics

join