It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colonization After Emancipation. Why didn't they?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Why wasn't there a mass migration of free blacks, kinda like when Moses led the exodus out of Egypt? Why hang around and live right in the middle of the people who inslaved you?

I'm sure they could have worked out a deal with Lincoln to get the food, transportation and protection to their new land. Why stay? Did any of the free slaves ever try to get back to Africa?

I don't know, I wasn't there, but I'm thinking if that happen to me, I would move far away.

Here is a link about the new Lincoln book. Colonization After Emancipation

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

For more information, please watch the movie La Amistad with Morgan Freeman. You'd like it and see some sort of "mass migration" of all the freed blacks at the end. Very good movie!!

edit on 6-3-2011 by Skate because: added text

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why would they want to go back to a country of starving, poor people? They got a free ticket to stay in a thriving new country.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This information sure puts a fresh light on the motives of the great emancipator doesn't it. If freeing the slaves and allowing them to be equal citizens in this country was not his primary goal with the civil war,what was the primary goal?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well the idea was put forward, but I don't think it was taken very seriously.

I think it was suggested they could go to Liberia, a country established for freed slaves much as Sierra Leone was for British ex-slaves.

That's all I know about it really.

new topics

top topics

join