It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else experienced viruses/suspicious traffic blocked from this site?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I've ran into a few issues in the last couple of months.

- I got the popup message saying my computer was infected, then it said it was scanning, then it proceeded to ask me if I wanted to clean my computer. I realize this is an ad, in which if I click on it, it will install some malware into my computer. However, I feel the code was probably induced by someone within the thread.

- I've been getting alerts from my Symantec Endpoint Protection saying that traffic is being blocked when I visit this site.

- Anyone else experiencing this?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Nothing at all on my end. Couldn't hurt for you to run malwarebytes. Give it a try, and see what you come up with.

-B

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Your computer is infected. Download "malwarebytes anti-malware" as baked said, from some place like "filehippo.com" and run the quick scan after it updates itself. It should root out the fake anti-virus.

You didn't get that from ATS, or one of it's members.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Klassified because: correction

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yesterday in a thread I was denied access to a page because it was listed as an attack page.

I just left the page and continued on ATS without further incident. I have no idea why that happened, but I did find it odd. It was the first time that happened to me while on ATS.

In the bad old days of horrible ATS advertising, when there were redirect ads here, I got infected once. But since that has stopped, I havent had any other problems.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

I had simular things happen, then finally just before i made this account I had another one> I came to this site (ats) and was logged out. I am always logged in even when i click out of the page. Anyhow My password had changed and when I sent the request for a new one it found my user name but not the e-mail address, so yes i am also haveing issues with this site. What is weird is i am not disrespectful in the rooms so i dont know what happen

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So my computer is definitely not infected. I believe someone is running some kind of script or similar on the pages. Just like the previous posted said, one of the pages were blocked because it reported a suspicious activity. Is it so far fetched to think someone could post something rogue within their posting?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I know they have had problems in the past with the advertising banners.
Not sure if thats what it is though.
edit on 6-3-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I got a "browse by" attack advertising malware last month too. It was the last week of February. It imitated a Mozilla alert. My advice to anyone worried about these type of things is to make sure your computer is secured.

There are several good free programs on the net that help.

Avast or AVG free antivirus: www.avast.com... or free.avg.com...

Malwarebytes: www.malwarebytes.org

WinPatrol (warns you of programs trying to access your system): www.winpatrol.com

Spybot Search & Destroy: www.safer-networking.org...

I hope this helps someone.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I have been logged into this site 24/7 since I joined and have never gotten anything suspicious. I use Google Chrome.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This site runs scripts that are hosted on other sites. That is the source of the infection. It is not this site but the sites from which they run j.scripts. They do not control the content drawn to the site from these other sites but they might want to think about running these j.scripts that are hosted on other sites as they can call up other java applications which themselves can be infected.

It happens to me on this site about once every few months. I will have all other windows closed and the ads on the page will flip then my antivirus alerts me to the malware. I then go to a different device so I can run a preboot scan on my connected device. I often find some that have defeated the web shield.

I would say that users on this site are a high target for backdoor trojans that can put key loggers and password stealers email spambots and the like. I would think if you are not getting virus warnings your machine is using Norton, Trend Micro, or MacAfee all of which have been defeated.

Some of the free ones have not been defeated but all of the major commercial products have not worked for years on rootkit viruses or malware. Windows Defender does not work that well either. Try some of the free ones like ClamWin and run that on your machine and see if you find anything.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

No problems like you have described. However about a month ago one of the links by a member on ATS was blocked by my anti virus software (reputable commercial product). I did warn others but the link wasn't removed so I guess my anti-virus had a false positive, but I never opened it anyway. I find it annoying though that this site encourages us to disable our anti-banner software, I usually have it on to have a more protected pc, and to make websites a lot more legible and clean, with it on websites look so much better, and you run into less troubles with popups and alike. I do however understand that ads are where the money comes from, which allows us to browse the web for free (which is great), but the adds are so annoying sometimes, with flashing red and white animations and popups and videos.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Yes, I have as well. ITs through the ad banners on this site.

Probably not directly linked to ATS...probably.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have been a member here for several years and visit the site almost daily, usually multiple times. I have never had a virus warning or fake alert ever.

I run a combination of AVG Antivirus, Windows Firewall, Spybot and Peerblocker + router firewalls. Locks it up tight like Fort Knox.

Not that I believe ATS would intentionally let a Trojan ad through or anything. Your assertion that 'someone in the thread must be running a script or something' is impossible to do on ATS unless you clicked a bogus link that some troll posted before a mod could remove it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueGrit

Stop using Micro$#@t Windows and change over to a Linux system'

Problem solved.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

Lol, Windows isn't that bad once you bash and kick it into submission!

What the hell am I saying, I must go flog myself now.....

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nolabel
reply to post by TrueGrit

Stop using Micro$#@t Windows and change over to a Linux system'

Problem solved.

That might bring some more problems in though, but yes I guess it might solve this one. You using Linux?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm fairly sure there's an infected ad here on ATS, although it seems to be rare. I had the same situation a little over a month ago and since then I've seen 3 or 4 more threads reporting it. No, my system is not infected. Seeing as I work in IT, I certainly know the difference between a bad ad and an infected computer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Funny this is brought up..all the little problems I have had make sence now. I would not be surprised if this ATS network isnt some CIA social network...Check out this months Plaboy Magazine. A Cia guy from the 50's started The National Enquirer...yeah I know a little rag magazine tabloit....except very investigative journalism by Barry Levine took down John Edwards we are talking Pulitzer Prize Winning and Job ending all in the same sweep...cjeck it out March 2011 addition.....Spooks are about the walls and hauls of ATS I would bet!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am having problems with a Win32 Fake Rean and/ or fake antivirus "program" recurring on this computer (Windows). My "usual suspects" (places I frequent on the internet) is pretty limited, but why ATS as opposed to someplace else being "contagious"? I was thinking maybe I was getting it from the ads on the local tv news sites (& I haven't had it come back on a scan since I quit going there FWIW. It's been 2 or 3 weeks now)
Spooks are *everywhere*. If something *did* come from here, I'm betting on an ad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join