It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Without God, would you still care about the well being of others ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

There are limits to kindness when it is a matter of survival. And if that old man is too selfish or too dumb to share with the younger generation... too bad. Alone, he wouldn't have lasted anyway.

I should have asked more directly: "Would you enjoy inflicting pain if you had the choice?"

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

If you were sure that there wasn't any god or hell, how would you act in society ?

For the first 30 years of my life, I was sure that god or hell did not exist, so I do have a point of comparison with my current belief in God.

I would say that the main difference regarding my relationship to fellow human beings is that I have become more mindful of how my words and actions have an effect others. Avoiding harming others in thought, word, and deed has become more important than being right or justified in my stand.

Taking responsibility for all my deeds instead of shifting the blame to others has also taken priority, though it is hard to assess how much of this is simply due to maturing or to my belief in the law of karma.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You wrote:

["Hyposrites such as yourself need to look within to see what motivates them, my honesty should not come as a shock to your senses."]

According to the opinions you have posted on this thread, it's more than likely, that I see something different when "I look inside myself", than what you see, when YOU "look inside yourself".

Quote: ["How much money have you given to the poor this week?"]

Much more than most, less than I could.

Quote: ["How many visits did you make to a hospital or senior center? Did you offer a ride to anyone walking in the rain or offer your jacket to someone who appeared cold?"]

I AM a senior citizen. I have offered my car-less closest neighbour shopping-rides for years. I pick up hitchhikers not having visible weapons or looking dead drunk. Living in a country where the SECULAR system functions so well, that people can get their basic needs provided for by the authorities, I practically never see anyone without a jacket.

Quote: ["When your actions speak louder than your words, spoken or typed, you may judge me."]

It was YOU speaking of ego-tripping old men (probably from your culture, not mine). Not me.

Quote: ["Until that day I recommend you remain silent on this subject."]

Your recommendation declined.

edit on 6-3-2011 by bogomil because: syntax

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Your question you ask as the topic of your thread is meaningless. Its a contradiction of terms. Without God there would be nothing, as God holds everything in existence. Absence of God is self which in turn is sin.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vio1ion

There are limits to kindness when it is a matter of survival. And if that old man is too selfish or too dumb to share with the younger generation... too bad. Alone, he wouldn't have lasted anyway.

I should have asked more directly: "Would you enjoy inflicting pain if you had the choice?"

I'm sorry, but this topic is kind of a hot button for me. Every single day I am bombarded with stories and images of the most incredible acts of violence and hatred yet everyone seems to be wearing a halo. I don't understand how we as a species are so full of love yet we allow these things to happen day after day.
I appreciate your asking the more direct question, believe it or not my answer is absolutely not regardless of the circumstances. I have been placed in positions that require the use of violence on many occasions, there is no joy in those moments. To be perfectly honest with you I try not to think about it out of fear that I may begin to weep and be unable to stop. I call this my fear of going Neitzsche.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
God has nothing to do about my care for others well being.. its the feelings inside that get me to care about others well being... So... next question
edit on 6-3-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

You seem a little lost. You are not holding court silly.
There are many different forums and people post their questions there. You search for topics you like and look the questions up. Just trying to save you some time. If you are waiting for the NEXT question to be directed at YOU personally....you are going to be waiting awhile.

Your eagerness to help out though is absolutely dear, any old way.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I thank you all for your interest and replies. Quite interesting and more appreciated than S&F alone.

My original question stemmed from my observations of certain types of person. They were acting good more in fear of the consequences on their life rather than the "victim's".

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

They were acting good more in fear of the consequences on their life rather than the "victim's".

That brings to mind one of my favourite quotes:

"Conscience is just the fear of getting caught."

~ Lucas Buck, "American Gothic"

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

I once had this fear, but it changed over time due to some traumatizing event in my life and I began to think what was going on in another person's head during a negative experience.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join