It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did New Zealand Maori Know About Reptillians? and worship Horus? - Revealed in Carvings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hey Fellow ATS'rs! This has been racking my brain ever since I heard about the whole "Reptillian Humanoids" thing and now I thought I'd get some opinions!

Before the arrival of the Europeans Māori literature, stories and legends were handed down both orally and through weavings and carvings. Some carvings are over 500 years old.
Te Toi Whakairo is the art of Māori carving, and Tohunga Whakairo were the great carvers - the master craftsmen. A master carver was highly considered. The Māori believed that the gods created and communicated through the master carvers.

Often Manaia, a side-faced and sometimes birdlike figure, may be found in Māori carvings. Easter Island is known for its distinctive Manaia, made up of a side-faced man with a bird-head. In Hawaïi Manaia also exists, referred to by the Hawaïians as a bird-headed deity. In South America, and particularly in Peru, a number of different mania types estimated to have been carved around 2 000 years ago may also be found, leading to speculation as to whether early Polynesian voyagers visited South America, or whether South American voyagers traveled to the Pacific, introducing their Manaia to the Polynesians.

Horus

Marakihau carving represents deep sea taniwha (monster) and ocean gods, particularly to be found in the Bay of Plenty area of New Zealand. In Māori legends Marakihau was often a mythical sea monster. Marakihau may decorate the porches of carved houses. A typical feature of Marakihau is its human form, but including a long tongue by which the Marakihau monsters were capable of swallowing up canoes or men.

Marakihau carving

Sometimes a one-eyed human face can be found in older carvings. It is thought that this particular figure may represent a demi-god who lived equally well on land or in the sea. Certain legends speak of one-eyed monsters, being part fish, part god and part man.

The lizard is the only animal represented in Māori carving - possibly inspired from the native tuatara. Contrary to other depictions, the form of the lizard was never deformed or misshapen, possibly because the lizard was so revered. The small green lizard, found in the forests, was the most dreaded of all lizards. In carvings the green lizard embodies Rakaiora, seen as a god.

The lizard had a particular significance in ancient Māori mythology. This reptile was considered to be the emissary of the god Whiro. Whiro represented all that is evil on earth, and brought misfortune on unfortunate tribes. If the gods were angry and wished to kill a man, they would invoke the lizard to enter into a man's body, in order to eat away his life giving organs. The lizard is also present in art motifs.

Maori Lizard Man

Tuatara

So there you go!
Did the Maori know about reptillian humanoids?

edit; not sure why the phots wont embed...sorry! good pics tho, check em out!

edit on 6-3-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I'm not really seeing anything either lizard like or Horus like in those images

Maybe I'm looking at them wrong

Almost looks more cat like to me than lizardy

edit on 6-3-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Though I'm not a big believer in Reptilians, This is pretty strange to say the least..I suppose even since the dawn of civilization we have looked at our leaders like the snakes that they are..
S&F good eye op.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Many experts strongly contend that the manaia is a bird-headed man, or even a bird.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

and come on, you dont see a lizard???
who else DOESNT see lizard features in the carvings???

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by grindhouzer
reply to post by Versa

Many experts strongly contend that the manaia is a bird-headed man, or even a bird.

that link isnt working

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

try it now....why wont they embed?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

ok it works now

Bird man thing

You can upload the image to your ATS media centre and do it that way

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Lmao. Sorry to burst your bubble guys. The crazy lizard guy is actually more commonly known as a tiki. It is a symbol of fertility. Also a goodluck charm to many kiwis. It is supposed to symbolise an unborn embryo. I would upload more info but im not sure how to on my mobile. Google maori tiki and you can find out more. Wish we did have some connection but this isnt it. Enjoyed the thread though

new topics

top topics

join