It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world really is getting better and better

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I find it astounding that we (humans) continue to improve our situation on this planet century after century, evolution seems to be on our side. We very seldom go backwards for very long. I would almost argue that when we do go backwards it's merely a catalyst for healthy change going forward.

Most Americans will probably see their quality of life go down a bit as the world's quality of life goes up seeing how the average American consumes WAY more than most other individuals on the planet. So naturally they will perceive that the world is getting worse. It's an amazing moment of life to be alive and I'm very exited to see where we will go next.

Thanks again!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I can't see the angle that you're working with. Have you factored in the inflation? Have you factored in the unemployment rate? Have you factored in how many people are dying in Africa? Libya is still at war, there is always violence in Sudan, violence in Ivory Coast, Mexican drug war, 2 failed wars, and a downed economy.

So who's life seems to be getting better in other country's besides the developed countries?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Amen! Thank goodness there still are people in the world with a little common sense and realize its not as bad as all the doom and gloomers think.

Ive actually been refering to our current times lately, and more so after joining ATS as the "entitlement era". People honestly believe they should not have to work for a living these days when we live much more comfortably than ever before, in the West at least. I can understand wanting corruption and a more in touch government, but to think working is unnatural? Bizarre, that.

Im not sure how it is in the USA, but here in Canada if i decide not to work, the government will set me up with a bi-monthly welfare cheque and low rent housing and I will never be at risk of starving or freezing to death. Do you think Kings or dictators treated their citizens better?

I really dont think people have any grasp of how difficult life was before electricity, running water, cars, planes, internal combustion engines and such were invented. How living as a sustinance farmer, having one bad crop could mean the very real possibility of starving over the winter.

People these days are soft and weak. If you want something go out and get it, dont bitch about it. The world is full of examples of people born into poverty and become rich or famous or powerful.

I for one am glad i was born in the later half of the 20th century. I look back on how difficult and especially how uncomfortable life used to be, and ill take this any day.

edit on 7-3-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
if you want to be happy with the world....help the world.Do not simply bear witness to the suffering of others....alleviate that suffering. If you are upset that you recently got laid off...go help someone who has not been able to find work for even longer. If the plight of starving children tugs at your guts....go to the soup kitchen and volunteer your time. One of the main reasons that things are the way they are is because people would rather report than get on the front lines and be kinetic. I can't do anything about what is going on in Libya right now but the old lady down the street might like someone to talk to. Our government is full of crooks but that doesn't mean I cant gather some old clothes to donate to someone who could use a warm coat. In our efforts to be seen as "socially aware"...we often overreach and forget about the small things we can do to bring about a personal sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. While we are so busy trying to repair the problems of the big wide world....I bet there is someone close to us clamoring for our attention....needing our love and respect...our understanding and kindness. Make sure all of your own loose ends are tied before taking on larger problems.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Im not sure how it is in the USA, but here in Canada if i decide not to work, the government will set me up with a bi-monthly welfare cheque and low rent housing and I will never be at risk of starving or freezing to death.

Its not like that here in the US. At least not now. Even if you spend long determined hours trying, you cannot get a mentally ill, elderly, homeless person into low rent housing here in the US in the middle of winter because the waiting list to even give an application is 2 years long. Thats 2 years to wait to have yourself put onto the actual waiting list, in case that wasnt clear.

In the richest country in the world, some of us who take the time to look see the helpless, the innocent, people who truly cannot do for themselves, freeze on the streets.

I guess it all depends where you choose to look. Many wealthy people go out of their way to avoid seeing those sights, and preventing their children from seeing those sights. Because its "negative" and unpleasant, and because seeing it might mean they might have to question their contribution to that misery. Famously, Siddhartha's father wanted to prevent him from ever seeing human suffering so that he would choose to be a king in the material sense. But fate intervened and he did see the suffering of others, and the rest is history.

I can see the OP's point, that sometimes the focus on the negative gets out of balance. Sometimes it does seem as if we are wallowing in misery, rather than looking at it with a constructive eye, and trying to figure out ways to overcome the issues that are making us miserable.

I just dont agree that a "what are you all whining about everything is great" post is the way to achieve that. It overlooks the fact that many of the people "whining" are not doing so well, and their suffering is genuine.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the vast majority of americans are on either crack, coc aine, marijuana, alcohol, prescription medication, heroin, opiate pills, extacy,

More distortion. The vast majority of Americans are normal folks like you and me.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
One more thought has come to mind.

What one considers wealth, as you mentioned in a reply, is subjective.

I think, as a society, we need to have a common definition as to what REAL wealth is. What direction are we going and what goals do we have as a society? Or are their NO goals and it's every man for himself?? I really don't get much of a definition from my supposed "leaders" except "The American Dream." Which is extremely vague and makes no sense, considering they outsource jobs and spend massive amounts of money on trying to control other regions of the world.

I personally believe that someone is wealthy when all of their human needs are met. ESPECIALLY CHILDREN'S NEEDS! Needs can include, but are not limited to, food, water, shelter, education, transportation, energy, social interaction, emotional support from family and self discovery. That, to me, is true wealth.

My question is, does our society support that? I don't think we should gauge our wealth by comparing to the past. I think we should have a direction and gauge our wealth by whether or not we are reaching a particular goal.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Reflection because: added last paragraph

edit on 7-3-2011 by Reflection because: inserted the word reaching for meeting

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Your thread opened my eyes to looking at the world from a different perspective. We are bombarded with a lot of negativity on a daily basis. Here on ATS alone we have a lot of pessimistic views and doom and gloom threads. We're almost being brainwashed without even realizing it.

Did you know Bush will declare martial law?

Or that swine flu will wipe out civilization?

Or that 2012 will be the end?

Or that Obama will lead our country into Communism?

The negative mindset will continually come up with new predictions of doom, most of which are complete falsehoods. I could show you many thousand on this site alone.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
You sure you don't work for TPTB ???

Seems like propaganda to me..

I've seen you do that in other threads too. Someone has an opinion that disagrees with your view and you imply that this person is a "disinformation agent" or engaging in propaganda. You've done this with me a few times.

I see this happening all the time (and also getting as many stars as your post did) and for me its a strong indicator that many of the "problems" people have are not with the world, but mentally, psychologically.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack
"Quality of life has gone down"

Are you slow?
Fifty years ago I possibly couldn't even look at a white woman because i'm black.
GTFO

Life is better now.

Only time life would be better in the past is if you're a white person.

Many people are seeing everything in an America-centric, White-centric, 20th-Century-centric manner.

If they`d losen up their perspective a little, they would see how well we are doing. Life is indeed getting better and better.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So I definitely wouldn't say that the world is getting worse, as long as we have some education and technology advancement we will always be going upwards.

And yes quality of life is always increasing, but just because it's going on an upward trend doesn't mean it's at where it should be. It's not getting worse, but are we really getting the quality of life that should be expected based on all the available technology around us, all the wealth that IS in the world is far greater than before... but not evenly distributed in the least. We have access to hospitals with life saving technologies, and live in a working shelter with a fridge but what if we cannot afford food to fill it? Gasoline for our automobiles? Gas to heat our homes?

It's all available and will always be increasing but it's definitely not where it should be. With a redistribution things could definitely get closer to where they 'should be' based on all of the presented statistics...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Evolution didnt stop at the thumb. Humans arent done yet and the future may surprise us all.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
if even one child in some African country gets its leg blown off, because the conditions in that country that make it possible for such a thing to happen are either tolerated or ignored - I am not going to be happy

That is your choice. As long as you dont try to impose your choice on me, I respect your choice.

Does everything really have to be perfect before we can be fairly happy? The statement is a strong statement to make.

That stuff is not addressed by happy people – the kind of change that has to happen in a situation like this comes about because people are outraged and fed up

No. Ive caused thirld world change. I will not share what because I dont want to boast. But Ive caused change with optimism and cash.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I disagree. If I did agree then I would have to add that the bad news is on the rise just as much as the good news. While the mainstream and alt news does seem to focus on the negative it still appears to be a selection of stories that get attention while other worthwhile stories get ignored or even purposefully avoided. The thread title is just that, a thread title. The stats aren't always an indicator of anything as thinktanks, universities etc can easily be corrupted. Remember all the suicidal employees at Foxconn in taiwan? The story makes the news. The compant announces a 50% increase of wages, but failed to say what the wage is. Fk stats and pie charts and power point presentations.
I'm on my dumb phone so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP addressed any of the posts made by Illusionsaregrander. I hope you give it a shot bud

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

Just like early Rome. We sit around in our electronic symposium and ponder the world as being and getting better, although I don't know who's Rose colored glasses the OP borrowed... Makes you wonder how drunk the less serious conversationalists are... i.e. Alien, and conspiracy forums.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I completely agree with you, Skyfloating. Sometimes when I read about history, I am appaled and disturbed at some of the details that people seem sometimes to ignore. Even just 150 years ago, the British navy punnished their sailors with a device known as the Cat-o-nine tails. This device basically consisted of nine whips in one handle. Over 40 lashes with this thing could kill a man or severly maim him and yet, it was a common form of punnishment.

Steven Pinker has some great evidence relating to the world getting better. Here are two great videos:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Your thread opened my eyes to looking at the world from a different perspective. We are bombarded with a lot of negativity on a daily basis. Here on ATS alone we have a lot of pessimistic views and doom and gloom threads. We're almost being brainwashed without even realizing it.

Did you know Bush will declare martial law?

Or that swine flu will wipe out civilization?

Or that 2012 will be the end?

Or that Obama will lead our country into Communism?

The negative mindset will continually come up with new predictions of doom, most of which are complete falsehoods. I could show you many thousand on this site alone.

1 he did just obscured

2 c mon nobody ever said that thats just silly

3 not 2012 yet is it?

4 he s well on his way dont ya think?
edit on 7-3-2011 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2011 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

In some ways you are correct, but I will say in the day and age of information one might say it is harder to fool the masses. Now days they have the power to actually create the disinformation and make it truth, I believe it started happening around the time when psych warfare changed under the officer in the army who was in the satanic church and latter created the church of set. The new psych warfare was called something like mind-wars, and had to do with actually creating the things you wanted your enemies to believe, instead of trying to just trick them into believing in something that doesn't exist. I think they were predicting the information future and probably realized they were not going to be able to control enough of it.If your the creator of the event than I am sure you would want to install a stop button on the event, there by creating control over something that appears naturally ac-curing and uncontrollable, there by causing fear and panic. So I suppose in a way you are right but that doesn't mean it isn't happening, or is it?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Here are some facts which you did not touch upon.

1) In the U.S. the so called "Patriot Act" has neutered the Bill of Rights.

2) We now have to work from Jan. 1st until August 19, to pay off our annual debt obligation to
local, state, and federal governments.

3) Our society has regressed into the use of torture and rendition and assassinations.

4) We are currently involved in an endless war against not a nation, but a tactic.

5) We lost over 5000 service men in Iraq with tens of thousands more injured while killing an estimated
1 million Iraqis, all based on a LIE, which has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

6) We idle away our time in Afghanistan bombing wedding parties, and small boys collecting firewood, while Osama Bin Laden is nowhere to be found.

7) The banks and corrupt corporations have bankrupted this country while commanding our military to
steal the resources of other nations.

8) And all the while, the federal government grows larger and larger, originally intended to safeguard our liberties, it is now working overtime to steal our liberties.

9) The rainforest is vanishing at an astronomical rate, the oceans are dying and polluted.

10) There is more poverty in America than ever before.

11) only 50% of Americans pay taxes, everyone else got their damn hand out, like we owe them a living.

12) over half of all the jobs in America, are working for the government.

Its a damn police state, welfare state, warfare state. Grab all the money you can, and to hell with the common man and the planet.

I stomped on my rose colored glasses years ago.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Great post!
I agree! From my own personal perspective,I have everything I need.I don't need anymore.
But I get bored with the mundane,uneventful day to day life.
I shouldn't,but I do.I like chaos.I sometimes think that I intentionally will cause chaos without really
knowing that I do,heck just ask my wife.
It's just some left over instinctual feeling from when we were hunters and gatherers.
The thrill of chasing prey,or you being the prey being chased.
Why do you think all my buddies go hunting all the time? to reclaim that feeling.
I don't hunt so I try to find other ways to satisfy that need,like searching for doom and gloom.
Well,thats just my two cents.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join