It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world really is getting better and better

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HispanicPanic
you didnt prove anything. just gave data taken by human beings themselves. its not proof. and about your topic..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Very mature. Consider coming back if you actually have something real to contribute.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by B.Morrison
childish one liners that deflected from the points I initially raised about the topic.

Originally posted by Ost33
Things are really not getting better, its totally opposite.

But really, you all that think that we are heading on a good trip is delusional.

Originally posted by BlackOps719

You can poop in a punch bowl and call it rainbow sherbert if you like, but that doesn't make it so.

You folks cant counter the science, so you drop a few "nope, it aint so" and leave again so that you can remain comfortable in your belief that everything is going downhill.

Saying "nope, it aint so" doesnt change the science.

Nothing quite like an apocalyptic 9.0 earthquake to derail a thread, eh?

How about thousands drowned beneath the wave of a massive tsunami? If that doesn't prove that things are getting "better and better"...how about three back to back nuclear meltdowns?

Talk about your bad timing.

I know your heart is in the right place, and I wish you were right. I just dont see it.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

How about thousands drowned beneath the wave of a massive tsunami? If that doesn't prove that things are getting "better and better"...how about three back to back nuclear meltdowns?

I know your heart is in the right place, and I wish you were right. I just dont see it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

It seems to me what you consider "constructive argument" is a bunch of people agreeing with you. And when you run across people who dont agree with you, you just abuse your position as a moderator by posting multiple one line posts, and addressing the person and their tone rather than addressing the actual argument that "tone" is contained in. But people dont tend to argue with people they agree with, do they? And so the fact that I am critical of your reasoning and argument really isnt unusual, or worthy of a post whining about my "tone."

Personally, I do think it is "constructive" to challenge posts that I feel I can show are fallacious, or purely mean spirited and misleading, (like your Darwin bashing thread). I use good argument, lay out my case, and if you wanted to, you could easily address the argument itself. You just arent guaranteed to win it, which is what I suspect the problem is here. You tend to not counter ANY solid arguments by posters who might actually best you, not just me. You flip some short discounting post, or, as in this case, a personal comment that avoids the argument altogether by going after the person and not substance of the case.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dyax-

Good comment. The thread presented more of a case for "count your blessings" on a global scale than much else. Judgements are based on material development, incomes, standards of living. The world can never be a better place 'til integrity, equality of race, creed and custom take place, justice and goverments who practice "do unto others as you would do unto yourself". If we want to see a "golden age" then the most important education will be spiritual development, a daily 'weighing of the heart'.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
you just abuse your position as a moderator

I have respectfully addressed many of the critical remarks in this thread. The reason you are on my ignore list is because you go from thread to thread making bizarre personal attacks like the one I just quoted. Address the message, not the messenger and maybe the people you disagree with will start taking note of you and your message.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

What dont you see

That active-support is more helpful than doomsaying?

That natural disasters are a part of life since thousands of years?

That they usually engulf a small percentage of the world-map so that the rest of the world can come to help?

That they are no excuse for the foul mood of most people around here?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Do you think that a enhancement or upgrade is taking place? Despite seeming recent events.

Do you see an awakening on any level?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Do you think that a enhancement or upgrade is taking place? Despite seeming recent events.

Do you see an awakening on any level?

Yes, albeit extremely slow and with upheavals before things get better. I hope that someday things can get better without upheavals.

Mass consciousness has benefited tremendously from the Internet. What happened in arab countries recently is connected to the Internet imo.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I think so too. Though some things are being enhanced. I persist in seeing or holding the positive in what I see at times.

I think that the progression is happening even if some groups wish to hold it back.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

What dont you see

That active-support is more helpful than doomsaying?

That natural disasters are a part of life since thousands of years?

That they usually engulf a small percentage of the world-map so that the rest of the world can come to help?

That they are no excuse for the foul mood of most people around here?

Normally, I am an optimist and see the world thru rose colored glasses, but lately I have the feeling that something evil this way comes. Is it Biblical? I chose to think not, but if you pay attention, especially in America there is a feeling of angst and unease. People are scared of the future and it is reflected in contemporary culture. Peace, Love and flower power are but distant memories; replaced by gansta rap with it's violence and misogany, exceedingly violent and bloody games, sports and worship of the most violent men and denigration of the intellect, real ART and rational thought.

Even the mood on ATS has change drastically since I first joined a few years ago; Much more mean spirited and confrontational!!

Perhaps America is going thru a period of adolescence, with it's accompanying confusion and search for meaning. We are a young country and let's hope we can at least reach adulthood with out committing cultural suicide or worse; revolution.

www.blackagendareport.com...

The main reason I can't share your optimism is that the rest of the world is culturally lead by American media [that I'm a part of btw] and from my stand point, it continues to get more and more ugly.

edit on 31-3-2011 by whaaa because: the way I see it

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
The main reason I can't share your optimism is that the rest of the world is culturally lead by American media [that I'm a part of btw] and from my stand point, it continues to get more and more ugly.

It is always darkest before the dawn.

Here in the UK, in this new age of austerity, people are adapting. I love it, I'm naturally inclined towards ascetism, so I'm in my oil tot, but best of all, is the horse and trap that goes down the street most days calling for 'Rag and Bone'. Reminds me of being a kid (I love the big work horses, their snorts and the sounds of the hooves on asphalt, sends chills down my spine), but more importantly, nothing is being wasted again and it is acceptable to make a living from the things other people don't want anymore. People are getting creative again. Many will be broken in the next few years, but as many, if not more will be made and remade again. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

There will always be those that take the intravenous shot that the MSM provides, and eat up all the crap that the networks churn out to keep us obsessed with consuming and celebrity, but there are still diamonds out there that help us know that we are not entirely alone. I watched the film 'Precious' the other night. Such a horrible, disgusting story, but how strengthening to watch her rise above all that with such incredible dignity, and understand what an amazing survival mechanism the imagination is.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I do agree that humanity and realty as a whole is always getting better.

I am very confident in this.

But I do feel that we are at a dark point because such a small percentage of the population controls such a large percentage of the resources.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I actually created a thread about real doom and gloom here but it attacted zero interest. This is not surprising as fantasized doom and gloom is always easier to look at than the real stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
For this post i will pretend that only one country and it's problems exist, that would be the congo with an average of 45,000 people dying a month, massive humanitarian disaster that the international community is failing at making 'better'. Now throw the rest of the world and it's problem on top and im sure you see where im coming from. This thread and the OP is nothing more than a complete fantasy, simple as that.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Some people don't see the reality

until it smacks them in the face a few times.

The world isn't getting better. The world has just peaked its performance.

It will take a while before some people recognise this.

Wait for it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Technology doesn't make your lifestyle better, people are working MORE hours than before only to buy luxurious things society has that they don't need, try buying a respectable house on a single (hard worker) income, good luck.

Not everybody has the luxury of going to university for 7 years to get a 150k+ income a year. Try having a single parent raise her own son plus 3 others that had nothing better than the streets on nothing but $12,000 a year and expect if she "WORKED HARDER" things would be better, bull#. My mum gave her life for us doing the best she could it was just unfortunate she was in her late 50's when it all started. I have no problem with people earning a high wage, i respect a self made millionaire or even somebody who is making it all happen... Some people are spoon fed and it seems they are making themselves KNOWN more often on ATS these days.

I've been a lurker on ATS for quite sometime and these threads make me want to slap people in there ignorant face.

Head in the sand folks, head in the sand!

This thread made me sign up, i personally believe we're doomed.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geckoseth
Technology doesn't make your lifestyle better, people are working MORE hours than before only to buy luxurious things society has that they don't need, try buying a respectable house on a single (hard worker) income, good luck.

No, technology in itself does not make it "better", but it certainly can make it more comfortable. And it sounds like you too are buying into the "more is better" mentality. Why do you need a "respectable" house? Wouldnt a modest fixer-upper do? Why do you need a BMW SUV? You dont. You need a job that pays your rent and utilities, and puts food on your table. Nothing more.

Not everybody has the luxury of going to university for 7 years to get a 150k+ income a year. Try having a single parent raise her own son plus 3 others that had nothing better than the streets on nothing but $12,000 a year and expect if she "WORKED HARDER" things would be better, bull#. My mum gave her life for us doing the best she could it was just unfortunate she was in her late 50's when it all started. I have no problem with people earning a high wage, i respect a self made millionaire or even somebody who is making it all happen... Some people are spoon fed and it seems they are making themselves KNOWN more often on ATS these days.

Im sorry your Mothers life was hard. I dont know the reasons for it, i assume most of them were out of her control. But i would suggest that people should not have children unless they know they can support them in the manner they want to bring them up in. Perhaps your father died or left her, and she had no choice but to do the best she could. This is life. There are no guarantees as to how it will turn out, but we can influence this path with our actions and lifestyles.

Some of the happiest people in the world work dirty, backbreakimg jobs, come home to a modest abode and realize where true happiness lies, inside us and our families.

I've been a lurker on ATS for quite sometime and these threads make me want to slap people in there ignorant face.

Head in the sand folks, head in the sand!

This thread made me sign up, i personally believe we're doomed.

I believe we are doomed too. But ill be damned if i let it ruin the ride.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

I will reply more to your quote when i get the chance, but mine and your idea of respectable are vastly different, Trade bmw with a new falcon and respectable house is 300k.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

reply to post by nightbringr

I will reply more to your quote when i get the chance, but mine and your idea of respectable are vastly different, Trade bmw with a new falcon and respectable house is 300k.

Not sure what you mean, but im looking forward to the debate.

My main point is life is what we make of it. We certainly are not all dealt the same deck, and luck plays a huge roll in how things work out, but i think it is very important for our happiness as a whole to not fall into the Western "more is better" mentality.

I have a credit card, but only use it for emergencies. If i do need to use it, i pay it off at the end of the month to avoid the rediculous interest rates credit cards come with. I bought a very modest house. well under $100,000, and have renovated it as money has allowed, never once borrowing to do it. I have taken advantage of federal tax credits on energy saving renovations when offered to subsidize my work. This helps them pay for themselves, and i reap the benifits of better heating and air conditioning savings. When i buy a car, i save until i can afford what i want.

I always buy used, as a new car depreciates over 50% of its value in the space of 4 years. I have taken time to learn basics of automotive mechanics, as labor rates are huge. I buy repair manuals for each and every car i buy. Using them once on a single repair often pays for the manuals sticker price and more.

I take advantage of RRSP tax saving on my income taxes. By donating to my RRSP, i get an instant credit on my yearly tax, and save for my future. Within three years, i can withdraw this money and re-invest it elsewhere. Make the banks work for you.

I could go on, but im sure you get the picture. Fiscal responsibility is a lost art. I came from very humble beginings and currently make a very modest wage, but i dont need more. I have everything i need. I roof over my head, a loving family and money to provide our basic needs. Life is good!

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join