It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Call This An Economic Recovery? 44 Million Americans On Food Stamps and 10 Other Reasons Why The

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I see nothing but excuses and attempt at manipulation through pity. For everyone of you there are thousands of people with physical medical conditions that still work. Being an elder or a woman or anything else does not make it okay for you to blame everyone else for your issues. You are harping on someone for offering suggestions which makes it clear you are happy in your situation.

Yep. You're right.

Have a nice life.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The economy will not be fixed until either there is a complete collapse, and a revolt overthrows the government, or our current government forgets globalization and starts raising tarriffs on everything from toothpicks to bloomers, all the while giving subsidies to start manufacturing back up here in the United States of America.

The idea that high tech jobs will take the place of Manufacturing is grossly incorrect, as with the free trade policies that have been in place since after world war 2, the U.S. has slid in steady decline. The U.S. has came close to collapsing several times since then, but the government always orchestrated something to keep it going all the while Japan, Europe, and now China took our jobs and we became a consumption nation.From the times of Alexander Hamilton, to the end of world war 2 we were Isolationists in essences with Tarriffs on nearly everything in order to protect domestic production. Those tarriffs are gone, and other developing countries can produce it cheaper with slave labor and sell it here for cheaper prices, thefore undermining domestic companies and bankrupting them 1 by 1 for 40 years until were down to nothing, and the government is out of options, it cant be propped up any longer. Free Trade does not work. Corporations take on a Citizen of the world view instead of a patriotic american view, therefore not investing in their communities, their employees, and their nation in terms of Research and Development that would have continued to advance our nation. Until we pull out of the WTO and drop free trade, were screwed, plain and simple. Will that happen, probably not. The collapse, revolt, and rebuild option will probably take place within the next 2 to 4 years. Im stocking up on Ammo, Food, and I have stopped buying non american products, its hard, but the internet gives you choices. I dont shop at wal mart, There is times when I have to buy foreign made products, but Not Chinese made products. Fear Monger is what my friends call me, when in truth, im just calling it as I see it, and how it really is.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
In short terms, were following the same footsteps England took when their empire Collapsed after world war 2, but it actually started collapsing back in the late 1800's when they dropped all tarriffs on foreign goods.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by StigShen

Oh, I feel for you. I hope against all odds that you find something.

I went through my savings, my 401K, the money my family had to spare (3000 miles away), and finally bit that bullet two years ago. It sucks. It's not easy for us to find work - impossible, I think, in a great number of cases. Especially when you're old and have limitations.

Best of luck. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Cheers. Best of luck to all of us. If there's anything good to come of all this is the satisfaction of seeing some folks riding around on their high horses take the big fall. I knew poverty for a time when I was young, so I never thought I was "special" or that hard work alone would guarantee me a good life.

I am a middle aged whit man with some health problems, so that has certainly put me at a distinct disadvantage. I have one family member who is very judgmental of me and the position I have fallen to here. The other day I was told, that I must just be lazy, because my two young, beautiful female cousins were able to find jobs within days each time they lost a different job. Young people, women minorities, they are all given preference. The supermarket gets a tax break for hiring the mentally handicapped to pack groceries. A fast food chain said they would not hire me because I don't speak Spanish. A 23-year old store manager at the video game store is not going to hire a guy like me who knows all there is to know about retail, because I would be a threat to his own job security.

My last full time job was at a hotel. It was a big steop down from my professional career, but I have a lot of business/retail/service experience to fall back on, so I took the job to get me through. I had been there for a few months when they hired a single mother for part time work. She also worked full time for a bank as her primary income. Well, she got fired from the bank. And because if it, I suddenly found myself without a job. I was laid off, so that she could have my job, even though I had worked there longer, and had been the full timer. The reason? Because she had a kid to support. Nevermind the fact that she was getting more money in child support than I was working there 42 hours a week. In the end, because this woman chose to have a child and did something to lose her job, suddenly I was the one paying the price for her bad decisions.

Now don't get me wrong. I feel bad for a lot of single mothers. They do indeed have a hard time getting by and making ends meet, the same as anyone else. But clearly, I was discriminated against.

On and on it goes.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Look Amaterasu, I know it seems like I am attacking you but that is not my intentions. Honey you need to get a grip, and fast. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, stop making excuses for why you can't do this and why you can't do that. You don't need to be honest with us, but at least be honest with yourself. Put on your big girl panties and get your @ss out there and get a job.

You don't have a computer with internet, nobody is hiring, you are too old, you are too sick, you are a woman, you don't have a car, you have know money, nobody likes you...blah blah blah.

I like to see the good in everyone and I want to see the good in you, you are much more capable then you are giving yourself credit for. I believe in you.

Don't twist my words. "Those people" I was referring to...the people that set and listen to you and your excuses. They are obviously backing up all your feelings about why you can't get a job. Surround yourself with people who encourage and motivate you, not those who just pat you on the back and tell you how pitiful you are. If you can't find someone like that, obviously I could be that person.

Don't assume anything. I am a smoker.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It's important to keep positive, and seize upon any opportunity. But the reasons for poverty and joblessness go well beyond "excuses" or any one person's individual choices. It doesn't make any sense to ask someone why they don't have a job, and then accuse them of making excuses when they tell you the reasons. If you don't have solutions, then really, you are the one who is making excuses, excusing a terminally flawed economic system and corrupt government.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
The US Corporate Government is a Ponzi scheme. Ponzi schemes are unsustainable. It's time to throw these corporate crooks to the curb and take our &^%$#@& country back!!!

I was just reading an article describing how the biggest corporations are avoiding paying taxes. This has got to stop! NOW! How can BofA pay their top people millions and millions of $$$$ and not pay taxes? IT IS INSANITY!

caveat: I am not a tax accountant nor do I play one on t.v.)
Does any of that make sense to you?Of course not; but you will hear it repeated by wukky and the other hardcore liberals .
If BoA or any other corporation pays its ceos:"millions and billions of dollars and per diem tooo(?) they will pay taxes on it as "personal income".Not nearly as much as the libs think they should but it IS taxed. if the corporation itself shelters its earnings ( "profits" come after payroll is made i believe) 100% ( and I don't know if its even possible) it stands to reason the more they pay their execs and workers the more of that organizations profits are taxed as personal income...(?) I Could be "ig'nant", been called that in the past...
edit on 6-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

That is spot on. BofA employees pay a large amount in taxes. I would bet though that the tax rate decreases once ypou get aboove middle management. On the flip side investors in B of A have taken it on the chin losing somewhere around 2/3 of their money in the last 3 years. They also get to deduct those losses on their taxes.

I also think capping wealth at some level is a pretty good idea. Perhaps the easy way to do it is just tax wealth in excess of 1 billion at 90% per annum. Let's face it, no one contributes enough to society to be worth more than $1 billion. Their heirs don't deserve near that so let's limit inheritances to about $50 million as well. It's a shame it will have to come to this at some point.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
And in case you didn't know, the government no longer controls Food Stamps...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justagyrl
Look Amaterasu, I know it seems like I am attacking you but that is not my intentions. Honey you need to get a grip, and fast. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, stop making excuses for why you can't do this and why you can't do that. You don't need to be honest with us, but at least be honest with yourself. Put on your big girl panties and get your @ss out there and get a job.

I have been trying! A LOT! On and on, I still TRY. It would be SOOOO very easy to just give up. But I don't. You're wrong. Just because I offer my predicament here for review, does NOT mean I "feel sorry for [myself]." I am only stating facts. It is because I am honest with myself that I feel confident enough to bring the issues I am facing to the fore here. If I was feeling sorry, I would have written a long, boohoo post. I have only been posting in response with pertinent info to illustrate the difficulties many face in this economy.

I like to see the good in everyone and I want to see the good in you, you are much more capable then you are giving yourself credit for. I believe in you.

I believe in myself, too. If I did not, I would have given up LONG ago. I know I am more efficient, detail-oriented, intelligent, organized, reliable, punctual, focused, capable of learning very rapidly, analytical, and loyal than most out there. I just haven't been given the chance to prove it.

Don't twist my words. "Those people" I was referring to...the people that set and listen to you and your excuses. They are obviously backing up all your feelings about why you can't get a job. Surround yourself with people who encourage and motivate you, not those who just pat you on the back and tell you how pitiful you are. If you can't find someone like that, obviously I could be that person.

I don't "feel" I can't get a job. I am examining the data and making a conclusion based on what I see. I don't talk to anyone about ME not getting a job. I listen to many, many others' stories. I see the managers and professional that are shell-shocked come into the homeless shelter totally strung out because it could never happen to them and it did. I listen to the people my age - who worked all their lives and were laid off and now find themselves on social services. I give my condolences to the ones who are so sad and depressed because they have found themselves standing for a handout. There's no one "pat[ting] [me] on the back" and saying anything.

Don't assume anything. I am a smoker.

Be glad you aren't reduced to rolling your own with pipe tobacco. [grin]

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by StigShen
It's important to keep positive, and seize upon any opportunity. But the reasons for poverty and joblessness go well beyond "excuses" or any one person's individual choices. It doesn't make any sense to ask someone why they don't have a job, and then accuse them of making excuses when they tell you the reasons. If you don't have solutions, then really, you are the one who is making excuses, excusing a terminally flawed economic system and corrupt government.

I scratched my head, trying to figure out why they were hyping food stamps. Everywhere in town, it seems, there's signs, ads, etc. "Get food stamps!" Why, I asked myself, would the government want to push people to apply? Heh. Now I know.

Thanks, Stig.

BTW, I know the contempt from family members. I get it too. But they're 3000 miles away and can't see my efforts, can't see that look I am too familiar with that I see on the faces of interviewers: "Oh, she's old." Keep the faith, is all I can suggest. Keep plugging to get a job.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I gave up. Tired of fighting, tired of wasting my time. I live for other things now. I still put out an application once in a while, make a call here and there, but nothing like I was doing before. I treated my job search as a full-time job, but it got me nowhere. Just made me sick. I have let go, and I feel a lot better now. Of course I look forward to the day when things might be better, but I have elected to be content with myself, who I am, and even where I am, fo rthe time being.

May you find what you are looking for too.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

Thank you. I understand the giving up. I really do. It would be so easy for me, too. But I won't. I keep working to find work. Somehow I just can't quit believing the next one will be the job I get (despite the dismal evidence).

Warm wishes.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin032188
The economy will not be fixed until either there is a complete collapse, and a revolt overthrows the government, or our current government forgets globalization and starts raising tarriffs on everything from toothpicks to bloomers, all the while giving subsidies to start manufacturing back up here in the United States of America.

Well... I have come up with a solution... One that would shift things radically such that everyone may partake of the abundance of our planet, with the elite maintaining their lifestyle (but not their power over others) and the rest of us having the choice to live as they do - or at any level we want.

It is passive yet powerful Please read The End of Entropy and The Ethical Planetarian Party links in my sig to see what I offer.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justagyrl
1. I am not poor, never said I was...I said "I sacrifice". Maybe I should have said I live within my means.
2. My life is far far from miserable, I have everything I need.

I might want to throw this in there...I am actually a stay at home mom. My husband busts his ass working 50hours a week to provide for us. I know...it is hideous, my husband WORKS. We really are some backwards folks...I mean we actually take pride in having a J.O.B. The shame. It isn't my fault really...I was raised this way you know. Shame on my parents for telling me anything is possible and if I want some then go get it. Shame on me for having two children and for wanting to provide for them. I need to get me some education on this reality you two are talking about.

Well then, as someone WHO DOES NOT WORK, maybe you should just shut your mouth and wait for your nice husband to come home with his fat paycheck and pay the bills!

How dare you insult other people WHEN YOU DONT EVEN WORK YOURSELF! What a terrible person!

Maybe if your husband lost his job, and you didnt have insurance, and one of your kids got sick, im sure you wouldnt still be on that high horse. I hope for your sake, you never have to get off, you wouldnt be able to live with us commoners down here.
edit on 7-3-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

yeah and it's going to get worse. How much worse? A lot worse. Do you have enough food for two or three years? You'll need it. Do you have enough precious metal to carry you for two or three years? Again, you'll need it.
look at this: bestmetalresearch.com/2011/03/06/people-of-earth-prepare-for-economic-disaster.aspx

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Well then, as someone WHO DOES NOT WORK, maybe you should just shut your mouth and wait for your nice husband to come home with his fat paycheck and pay the bills!

How dare you insult other people WHEN YOU DONT EVEN WORK YOURSELF! What a terrible person!

Maybe if your husband lost his job, and you didnt have insurance, and one of your kids got sick, im sure you wouldnt still be on that high horse. I hope for your sake, you never have to get off, you wouldnt be able to live with us commoners down here.
edit on 7-3-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

I had a mother-in-law (key word there: 'had') who similarly never worked but sat on her saggy fat ass judging everyone else who didn't work either. There was no excuse for noone except for all the excuses she had for herself. She was a total drop kick of a woman, couldn't stand her.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I'm pretty sure she said she was a stay at home Mom. I know that's hard for people to fathom as being a job but, myself being a male who played the role as 'stay at home dad' for a year for someone else, I can tell you I'd rather be working.

You cannot knock someone for maintaining a household because this woman supports her husband. Even if he works 50 hours a week, her doing things around the house can easily afford him extra hours of spare time.

My average daily chores, cooking, cleaning, laundry = 2 hours, that's 14 hours a week. That doesn't include banking, grocery shopping or housewares shopping. That is a net gain of 4 hours from a standard work-week of 40 hours, if he is working 50 hour weeks.

(albeit she didn't describe everything she does this is pretty common for maintaining a house)

So I don't see how you can say someone like this isn't working, if the dad was single he would have to do all this plus pay for childcare while he was working.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Thankfully - I am employed...but I have been laid off before, the last time in 2002. It took me 8 months to find a job and I was applying for at least 5 jobs a week. I cannot imagine what it would be like now. I am now a Manager at a small company and when I put out an ad for a job, I am stunned by the number of people applying for an entry level job. I have even had a college professor and even a lawyer apply. That is sad. No one should be putting down a person who cannot find work right now. It is tough out there.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I notice the feds now have a different way of reporting unemployment. instead of counting job losses. The new method counts the number of jobs available. This of course will give lower unemployment rates, like the figures just released 8.9 percent I don't buy this math for a minute. The article the op linked to states 10.3 see the difference here. Now the banks are making sub-prime car loans as mentioned in another thread here in global melt down

edit on 8-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

And of course none of that takes into account the underemployed. When I do find work here and there, it's usually for less money per hour than I made in high school, and I am middle-aged.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join