Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

You Call This An Economic Recovery? 44 Million Americans On Food Stamps and 10 Other Reasons Why The

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
If your own family won't, or is unwilling to take care of you, how can you expect others to do the same?

What are you on about, then?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Uneducated in reality?? Honey I live in reality, you don't. Your reality is having the govt. = PEOPLE WHO WORK pay for your necessities. My reality = work and sacrifice to get the things my family needs, and if we are lucky a few things we want. Stop surrounding yourself with all these people who are in the "same situation as you" and get out and work. Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!

I am over it...really I am. I KNOW that people hit hard times, and I am glad that there is a system there that can help people...but five years, that is not help. People are know longer taking personal responsibility because the govt. is going to do it for them.

And you hate Walmart sooooooooo much you can't work there, but yet it is OKAY for you to let me pay for everything you need?? Well I wish I could say I don't like you...I LOATHE you and I don't want to help you!! Not that simple.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justagyrl
Uneducated in reality?? Honey I live in reality, you don't. Your reality is having the govt. = PEOPLE WHO WORK pay for your necessities. My reality = work and sacrifice to get the things my family needs, and if we are lucky a few things we want. Stop surrounding yourself with all these people who are in the "same situation as you" and get out and work. Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!

I am over it...really I am. I KNOW that people hit hard times, and I am glad that there is a system there that can help people...but five years, that is not help. People are know longer taking personal responsibility because the govt. is going to do it for them.

And you hate Walmart sooooooooo much you can't work there, but yet it is OKAY for you to let me pay for everything you need?? Well I wish I could say I don't like you...I LOATHE you and I don't want to help you!! Not that simple.

May you discover what it's like. May you lose all income. May you be a little old lady struggling. May you suffer rheumatological issues. May you too join me and the others who never thought it could happen this way to us.

Have a nice life.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't want to seem like a *itch, I want to help. So I spent five minutes thinking about ways to solve your problems.

1. You don't have software. Well you are using your friends computer...he/she must be pretty nice because you seem to spend a lot of time on that computer on ATS. Soooooo why don't you use that time to work on some ELANCE business.
2. Go to Kmart instead.
3. No telemarketing jobs?? Move to a town were there are some.

Problems solved.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

You are not a very nice person. I would never wish those things on anyone...shame on you. I never attacked you for having health problems or being "a little old lady"... I had know idea your age. And I am truly sorry that you have health issues, I pray that you overcome those problems.

This does not change my opinion on your situation. I must have hit a nerve for you to wish such terrible things on me and my family??

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Justagyrl is the perfect propaganda victim...

"Well, I work a # job and have a crappy life that I can barely afford, so you should too!"
You are about one step removed from the position of the person you are mocking right now, how does that make sense? Ameratsu is right, I hope you lose your job and learn some compassion. All the idiots who think that everyone unemployed is lazy are just insufferable to me. Go get that walmart job...in fact get 2 or 3, youre gonna need a couple min wage jobs to pay all the bills.

By the way, justagyrl I love your "solutions". Cant find a job? No prob, just pick up and move! and also "just let me keep my tax on my groceries!" what MAYBE 24 dollars a week at most? Im not saying food stamps are the greatest solution, but you shouldnt begrudge someone help. if you are as "poor" as you say you are (which i doubt, just another play actor) go get some assistance yourself.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I don't want to seem like a *itch, I want to help. So I spent five minutes thinking about ways to solve your problems.

1. You don't have software. Well you are using your friends computer...he/she must be pretty nice because you seem to spend a lot of time on that computer on ATS. Soooooo why don't you use that time to work on some ELANCE business.
2. Go to Kmart instead.

Problems solved.

My friend has no software either. I have been to K-Mart. No luck. And how do you propose I move? I have no car and no money. Pack the few belongings I have up - about a small truck's worth - and stick out my thumb? Yeah. Problem solved. Not.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
60 Minutes reported this evening that 25% of US children (one in four) are living below the "official" poverty line.

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Amaterasu

You are not a very nice person. I would never wish those things on anyone...shame on you. I never attacked you for having health problems or being "a little old lady"... I had know idea your age. And I am truly sorry that you have health issues, I pray that you overcome those problems.

This does not change my opinion on your situation. I must have hit a nerve for you to wish such terrible things on me and my family??

Sorry. I presumed you had read my posts. If you had, you would know that I'm in my 50's and cannot take just any job because of physical limitations. I guess it was the comment, "Well I wish I could say I don't like you...I LOATHE you and I don't want to help you!!" that set me off.

I'm sure I misunderstood that comment, though.
edit on 3/6/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

I just stumbled across these articles looking for something else.

They explain what the MSM is not telling us about the "RECOVERY"

This Goldman Sachs Guru Sees 2011 as 'the Year of the USA

Even Employment Could Pick Up

O'Neill anticipates strong stock market gains of 20% in the year ahead. And while the jobs picture has continued to struggle even as the market surprised to the upside, that could change as well. "The growth is likely to be strong and robust enough to lead to declining unemployment which, if correct, should mean that the worst of the social consequences of the credit crisis should start to ease," he wrote.

Bonds would get hit as yields rise in anticipation of growth, and the dollar could rally substantially, he predicted.

And the companion piece referenced: What the Rising Stock Market Doesn't Say About Jobs

...If the stock market reflected the entire economy, then Americans could cheer the new annual highs in equity prices as a harbinger of good times ahead.

But the stock market reflects only the outlook for corporate profits, not the economy as a whole...

Anemic Growth in Private Sector Jobs

...The unemployment number itself comes from the Household Survey, a phone canvas that asks people if they have a job, or if they're looking for a job. If you aren't employed but also aren't looking for a job, you don't get counted among the unemployed. Instead, you're a "discouraged worker" who no longer figures in the unemployment rate. If you worked even an hour or two that week, you're counted as employed....

The number of people "participating" in the economy as workers or job-seekers is the basis for the unemployment rate. If more people drop out of the labor force, then even if no jobs are created, the unemployment rate will decline....

Next, let's look at data from the ADP National Employment Report, a private sector estimate of total employment that breaks down the jobs data into small, medium and large businesses....

That means 7.75% of all private sector jobs vanished. Even though U.S. GDP is clocking in at a solid growth rate of 2.5%, the economy added only 221,000 private sector jobs in the six months from February to July 2010, according to the ADP data.

That's about half the annual growth estimated by the BLS Household Survey. But even the higher BLS estimate is nowhere close to the GDP's growth rate. If employment had risen 2.5% in the past year, the economy would have added 2.65 million jobs, not 819,000....

If we look at the data from July, 2008, just before the global financial crisis hit that September, the U.S. had almost 116 million nonfarm, private sector jobs. Two years later, in July 2010, that figure was almost 107 million jobs -- a decline of 9 million private sector jobs.

In other words we lost about 10% of our jobs and have "gained" 819,000 or less than 1% in the last year.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

My friend has no software either.

I have a ton of software! And two 2.6 GHz computers! I found both machines on the curb (different occasions) with corrupted Windows as the only problem. I formatted the hard drives and installed Ubuntu 10.04. All Ubuntu software is free and user friendly. Give open source a try!

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
1. I am not poor, never said I was...I said "I sacrifice". Maybe I should have said I live within my means.
2. My life is far far from miserable, I have everything I need.

I might want to throw this in there...I am actually a stay at home mom. My husband busts his ass working 50hours a week to provide for us. I know...it is hideous, my husband WORKS. We really are some backwards folks...I mean we actually take pride in having a J.O.B. The shame. It isn't my fault really...I was raised this way you know. Shame on my parents for telling me anything is possible and if I want some then go get it. Shame on me for having two children and for wanting to provide for them. I need to get me some education on this reality you two are talking about.

A...you are doomed, just give up. You got an excuse for everything. Really you do, go back and read your replys. I have moved three times for jobs.

And yeah...I would like to save my tax on groceries. I live in TN, almost 10% x $600 a month (at least) = $60...that would pay my water bill. But I bet you could point me to a govt. program that would pay that for me?! Just send me a link:-))

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

My friend has no software either.

I have a ton of software! And two 2.6 GHz computers! I found both machines on the curb (different occasions) with corrupted Windows as the only problem. I formatted the hard drives and installed Ubuntu 10.04. All Ubuntu software is free and user friendly. Give open source a try!

Sri Oracle

Thank you for that. Often times, though, they are looking for work done in a specific application. Like they want PSD files (Photoshop), or whatever. I will look into that, though. Thanks for that. [smile]

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

A...you are doomed, just give up. You got an excuse for everything. Really you do, go back and read your replys. I have moved three times for jobs.

Ah. Without money? I bet not. Without a car? I bet not. Without a place to go to or a job to go to (for either of you if you mean your hubby)? If you want to see my reasons as "excuses," whatever.

Have a nice life.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I haven't had regular full time work in about three years now. A few months ago I finally bit the bullet and got Food Stamps. A few weeks ago I ran up a ten-thousand dollar bill at the hospital. I will be trying to get that medicare, medicaid, whatever that is, to pay the bill.

Up until 3 years ago I had an unblemished work record from the time I was 14 years old and usually held down 2 to three jobs at a time. I went to college, trade school and hold several professional licenses. Nonetheless, I went the full maximum 99 weeks on unemployment, and now survive on $200 a month in foodstamps. I also lost my home, and recently my car.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

Oh, I feel for you. I hope against all odds that you find something.

I went through my savings, my 401K, the money my family had to spare (3000 miles away), and finally bit that bullet two years ago. It sucks. It's not easy for us to find work - impossible, I think, in a great number of cases. Especially when you're old and have limitations.

Best of luck. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Amaterasu, I was going to stop posting on this tread, but I have a few more things that need to be said since you want to keep going.

So you have been out of work for about 5 years? Seems you have been a member on here for about 5 years, since then you have made 107 treads and almost 5000 posts!! You have logged ALOT of hours on this website.

How do you spend that much time on the computer, yet you can't afford one?? Thank goodness your friend lets you use his. You did all that while apply for 45,000 jobs (because you said that 35,000 was an understatement)??!! BUSY BUSY indeed.

So I see your a smoker. Hey how much does a pack of cigs cost these days?? Who is paying for those? You stated you are older, I am going to assume you smoke around a pack a day at around 5 bucks a pack x 30 = 150. That could be a cheap car payment. Now you can pack up and move to the jobs!! See, were there is a will there is a way!!

I am one of the most caring people you will ever meet, but I am not an idiot. I do not feel sorry for you. I call BS. My dad had diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis and problems with his pancreas and still slung boxes 30 hours a week at Walmart because he had to. Oh I forgot you are too good to work at Walmart. So again, I am sorry you have health problems (I unlike you would not wish my problems on another), but many people have it worse. By the way my dad is 57.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Justagyrl because: (no reason given)
edit on 6-3-2011 by Justagyrl because: I can't spell

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

2. Go to Kmart instead.

Problems solved.

My friend has no software either. I have been to K-Mart. No luck. And how do you propose I move? I have no car and no money. Pack the few belongings I have up - about a small truck's worth - and stick out my thumb? Yeah. Problem solved. Not.

This is just absurd, you can get trial or open source software. After you have money you can use the money to turn the trial software into full license. Elance is a great site and there are thousands of small jobs to bid on.

I see nothing but excuses and attempt at manipulation through pity. For everyone of you there are thousands of people with physical medical conditions that still work. Being an elder or a woman or anything else does not make it okay for you to blame everyone else for your issues. You are harping on someone for offering suggestions which makes it clear you are happy in your situation.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Justagyrl

Reality check.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Amaterasu, I was going to stop posting on this tread, but I have a few more things that need to be said since you want to keep going.

So you have been out of work for about 5 years? Seems you have been a member on here for about 5 years, since then you have made 107 treads and almost 5000 posts!! You have logged ALOT of hours on this website.

How do you spend that much time on the computer, yet you can't afford one?? Thank goodness your friend lets you use his. You did all that while apply for 45,000 jobs (because you said that 35,000 was an understatement)??!! BUSY BUSY indeed.

So I see your a smoker. Hey how much does a pack of cigs cost these days?? Who is paying for those? You stated you are older, I am going to assume you smoke around a pack a day at around 5 bucks a pack x 30 = 150. That could be a cheap car payment. Now you can pack up and move to the jobs!! See, were there is a will there is a way!!

I am one of the most caring people you will ever meet, but I am not an idiot. I do not feel sorry for you. I call BS. My dad had diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis and problems with his pancreas and still slung boxes 30 hours a week at Walmart because he had to. Oh I forgot you are too good to work at Walmart. So again, I am sorry you have health problems (I unlike you would not wish my problems on another), but many people have it worse. By the way my dad is 57.

First, I have a computer (minimal software). No internet. I have been using the library for access and now my friend's computer. I had internet access for a couple of years of those five... And yes. I did all that applying to over 35,000 jobs. It does not take THAT long to go to Monster, craigslist, creativeheads, hotjobs, and so on - a couple of hours a day applying for all the jobs I even remotely qualify for, to apply to 25-35 jobs a day. When I run out of jobs at those sites, I come to ATS for my news. I buy pipe tobacco (much cheaper than cig tobacco) and spend about $20 a month on it. I smoke 4-5 cigs a day. $20 a month will not get me far, and I want you to know that it is stressful enough without adding withdrawal to the list of things I deal with. (But you wouldn't know about THAT stress, I'm sure.)

Good for your dad. And yes, many do have it worse. They are unemployed and no one will hire them.

Oh, and the people you flippantly suggested earlier that I "quit hanging out with..." I meet them in line for food at the pantry. I meet them at the DSS office. I meet them at the Red Cross homeless shelter - where I volunteer.

Like I said, I must have misunderstood your comment about LOATHing me. I apologize.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join