It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Call This An Economic Recovery? 44 Million Americans On Food Stamps and 10 Other Reasons Why The

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
The US Corporate Government is a Ponzi scheme. Ponzi schemes are unsustainable. It's time to throw these corporate crooks to the curb and take our &^%$#@& country back!!!

I was just reading an article describing how the biggest corporations are avoiding paying taxes. This has got to stop! NOW! How can BofA pay their top people millions and millions of $$$$ and not pay taxes? IT IS INSANITY!

caveat: I am not a tax accountant nor do I play one on t.v.)
Does any of that make sense to you?Of course not; but you will hear it repeated by wukky and the other hardcore liberals .
If BoA or any other corporation pays its ceos:"millions and billions of dollars and per diem tooo(?) they will pay taxes on it as "personal income".Not nearly as much as the libs think they should but it IS taxed. if the corporation itself shelters its earnings ( "profits" come after payroll is made i believe) 100% ( and I don't know if its even possible) it stands to reason the more they pay their execs and workers the more of that organizations profits are taxed as personal income...(?) I Could be "ig'nant", been called that in the past...
edit on 6-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

Are you saying that it is OK for corporations to not pay taxes because the employees pay taxes? And that they should actually pay executives more because, in essence, that lowers the profit margin of the corporation, while making the, already over-paid executive, even richer? And it would be justified because now the executive will pay a few dollars more in taxes? Please tell me that I misunderstood, becasue if that is your argument, well, I just don't know how to respond, except to say that I would support making all corporations non-profit and give all the employees the extra money, not just the executives. I would also cap CEO pay at a percentage of the lowest paid worker. Maybe 5x more would be fair? After all, an executive does not make a product, the person on the workshop floor makes it happen. Without the grunt, the CEO gets to be the grunt, and loses a ton of productivity when he has to run the whole show himself. That is the biggest problem with corporate culture- managers think they are better than, and contribute more, than the person who actually makes the product that makes them all rich.

take a breath;

finished?
I am disputing the logic behind the popular "corporation don't pay taxes!"( rant). If they don't pay as you claim; the individuals who benefit through pay and benefits do. and so they are taxed. So to the popular" TAX THEGawdDAM*CORPORATIONS100%!!"by your logic is taxing the same money twice) or more) how much do you want?.

My point: if an evil corporation takes in a "pool full " of money they pay suppliers contractors and staff; whats left is "profit" they hide (offshore) this profit from the grubby accountants at the IRS in say a panamainian corporaton or account. the money paid in payroll is taxed on u.s. soil by the usgov.
it stands to reason the more money doled out to the employees and shareholders the more of that original moneypool is taxed.
or maybe I'm just being ignorant'

in which case enjoy your revolution see ya' in the camps...

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
And what does a per diem have to do with the price of corn in Iowa?

And, to add to the case for your ignorance, "Liberalism" means wanting to change the status quo. "Conservatism" is wanting to keep things as they are. So, yes, I am liberal. I would be ashamed to associate myself with the status quo.
"per-diem" was sarcasm...
As to my "ignorance": I guess all "progress" is by its very definition forward or beneficial?:

edit on 6-3-2011 by DragonTattooz because: anuthur speeling erer

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I am one of the many that rely on food stamps. When one is laid off and five years goes by (despite applying to over 35,000 jobs), money runs out and one might find oneself homeless (I did) and then falling into the (not so gentle and caring) hands of the System.

And I know many very good people who have had hard luck and are also scrabbling for the dregs. We stand in line at the charity pantries to get the food that would be thrown out tomorrow as spoiled - because food stamps is NEVER enough to cover the food.

We are struggling. And I want to end a system that places so few at the "top" and so many (more and more each day) at the bottom. Please take a look at my ideas to do this linked in my sig. End entropy, and join the Ethical Planetarian Party.

Yet you can afford the internet? Honestly you should be kicked off of food stamps, 5 years is way too long and if you've been applying for 35000 jobs and still haven't been hired you're probably not good at life. I VERY much resent people like you! I lost my job at Citi bank a year ago and after applying for many jobs I lowered my expectations/standards and applied for an overnight position at the local grocery store. The pay was bad and so were the hours/benefits but I still accepted so I could support myself and not ask for everyone else to do so. We are way understaffed so I asked the manager why we didn't have more people and he said nobody applies..........even with unemployment at 10%. Maybe that's an a$$hole thing to say but if it isn't give me a star, im curious to know if others agree with me.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is what Capitalists and Economists are about. All that matters is a quarterly market improvement of 0.000001%

That's positive change and the economy is awesome. These scumbags have no concern for human life of the well being of the people. Only decimal points on a meaningless graph.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303

I am one of the many that rely on food stamps. When one is laid off and five years goes by (despite applying to over 35,000 jobs), money runs out and one might find oneself homeless (I did) and then falling into the (not so gentle and caring) hands of the System.

And I know many very good people who have had hard luck and are also scrabbling for the dregs. We stand in line at the charity pantries to get the food that would be thrown out tomorrow as spoiled - because food stamps is NEVER enough to cover the food.

We are struggling. And I want to end a system that places so few at the "top" and so many (more and more each day) at the bottom. Please take a look at my ideas to do this linked in my sig. End entropy, and join the Ethical Planetarian Party.

Yet you can afford the internet?

Maybe the poster is on an AOL 30-day trial. Remember those. Pick them up at shopping stores

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XxXAmmoXxX

Money and power are addictions just like smoking and alcohol and just like any other addict these billionaires are in denial.

Societies problem is we reward people with these addictions. We give the respect and adulation despite the fact that the CEO of a major tobacco company for instance does much more harm to society than your average junkie ever could.

Basically society suffers from a ' Value System Disorder'. We value the wrong things because of the brainwashing power of advertising and the elite owned mass media.

As for blaming the increasing number of unfortunate people that are out of work for the situation they find themselves in - this is a technique used by the system to protect the system when in reality the present paradigm is failing the people.

This system is failing 3 quarters of the worlds population.

Over a billion people live on less than $1 per day and starve on a daily basis. 2 billion more live on less than $2 per day and 78% of the worlds population are living in poverty according to the WHO.

The system has failed the people, not the other way around.

Time for change. Watch Zeitgeist Moving Forward on youtube.

edit on 6-3-2011 by MisterMiyagi because: spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

You must understand that the average joe who believes everything the five o'clock news say about the economy and is still working often can't wrap their heads around others struggling to find jobs much less so many needing food stamps. I try not to get angry with these people who make as if others are not trying hard enough to find work or are lazy and want the government to feed them. There's a family member whose face goes blank whenever the topic of governmental collapse is discussed. All he can think about is he and his wife has been with their perspective companies for many years and are still able to enjoy a "middle-class" lifestyle. Bless his heart he actually think what's happening is just temporary and is getting better so I don't argue with him I just let him think what he may.

If this guy wasn't attacking me - not just here but in other threads on issues such as zero point energy - I might think he is just an ill-educated, unaware MSM-suckling sod. But he seems to have an agenda. This has led me to take a harder stance than I might normally. But yeah, you're right, he can believe what he wants.

Thank you for the input.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yet you can afford the internet? Honestly you should be kicked off of food stamps, 5 years is way too long and if you've been applying for 35000 jobs and still haven't been hired you're probably not good at life. I VERY much resent people like you! I lost my job at Citi bank a year ago and after applying for many jobs I lowered my expectations/standards and applied for an overnight position at the local grocery store. The pay was bad and so were the hours/benefits but I still accepted so I could support myself and not ask for everyone else to do so. We are way understaffed so I asked the manager why we didn't have more people and he said nobody applies..........even with unemployment at 10%. Maybe that's an a$$hole thing to say but if it isn't give me a star, im curious to know if others agree with me.

Um... I am not at home trying to find work, presently using a friend's computer, and CANNOT afford internet of my own.

As to the rest of your vitriol... What can I say? I was an Art Director making $60,000 until 9/11, under a contract with the US Marine Corps. Then things changed. Military priorities changed and the contract was not renewed. I have been applying for jobs like Administrative Assistant, assembly line worker, chicken plucker (a 20-something got THAT job), teller, anything that allows me to sit (I have a rheumatological condition that makes it impossible for me to function at a standing job). Believe me, standards have been lowered to the bottom of the barrel.

I resent people like you who think all it takes is a little effort. When true unemployment runs rampant with all the unreported ones who fell off the unemployment rolls.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
When did I say applying for jobs takes little effort? I said if you have applied to 35000 places and still haven't been hired you're obviously doing something wrong. It makes sense now, I don't see a snazzy former art director working at a grocery store.....it's below you. Retail stores and fast food joints are ALWAYS hiring, those places have an insane turnover rate. Flip cars or start your own business doing yardwork, look on craigslist they always have help wanted ads. There is always work to be found, it just depends on how creative you are with your search. btw I was only kidding about the "snazzy art director" comment, good luck with your search.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Yet you can afford the internet?

Maybe the poster is on an AOL 30-day trial. Remember those. Pick them up at shopping stores

Oh goodness, how can I forget that annoying dial tone followed by the faz machine noise lol

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by boncho
I refute this claim.
20 jobs a day? You call her a liar for hitting various websites and copying and pasting her resume 20 times/day? You imagine that to be too much work? Really? That would actually take only an hour or maybe 2 per day. She obviously has the time. I refute your refutation.

Yes, 20 resumes a day with no job in 5 years, I have a hard time digesting. I don't see the purpose of making claims like that. At least give us some insight, what kind of field of work, etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

...anything that allows me to sit (I have a rheumatological condition that makes it impossible for me to function at a standing job). Believe me, standards have been lowered to the bottom of the barrel.

Have you tried call centre jobs?

You can usually walk into those places and be working the next day because of the turnover.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I told my wife that I can see a day when everybody that works will no longer get a paycheck.

You work your 40 hours and the entire amount you have coming goes to the government.

In exchange you get so much every month in food stamps, your housing is paid, you get free medical and a certain amount of "credits" are put on your gov. issued debit card for other purchases. You work and they take it all and dole out what they think you should have.

What got me thinking about it was Star Trek.......
On star Trek I noticed they work their respective jobs to "better themselves" and their housing is furnished along with food & clothing. They get so many replicator credits to make what they want on a personal level.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

When did I say applying for jobs takes little effort? I said if you have applied to 35000 places and still haven't been hired you're obviously doing something wrong. It makes sense now, I don't see a snazzy former art director working at a grocery store.....it's below you. Retail stores and fast food joints are ALWAYS hiring, those places have an insane turnover rate. Flip cars or start your own business doing yardwork, look on craigslist they always have help wanted ads. There is always work to be found, it just depends on how creative you are with your search. btw I was only kidding about the "snazzy art director" comment, good luck with your search.

Ah. Give me an example of a desk job or even one I can sit at that I will find in a grocery store. Or a retail store. Or a fast food place. What the hell is flipping cars? Can I sit while doing it? Is yardwork a sitting job? I am on craigslist all the time. Many of my internet applications are from craigslist.

Thanks for the well wishes, though.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Amaterasu

...anything that allows me to sit (I have a rheumatological condition that makes it impossible for me to function at a standing job). Believe me, standards have been lowered to the bottom of the barrel.

Have you tried call centre jobs?

Yes. And the 20-somethings get the jobs. It's not like I am the only applicant.

You can usually walk into those places and be working the next day because of the turnover.

I see the competition, and they're mostly 20-somethings. I do not get hired. If you had a job available and had a 20-something and a little old lady to choose from, which would you hire?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

I refute this claim.
20 jobs a day? You call her a liar for hitting various websites and copying and pasting her resume 20 times/day? You imagine that to be too much work? Really? That would actually take only an hour or maybe 2 per day. She obviously has the time. I refute your refutation.

Yes, 20 resumes a day with no job in 5 years, I have a hard time digesting. I don't see the purpose of making claims like that. At least give us some insight, what kind of field of work, etc.

Any office job, call center, teller, chicken plucker, assembly line, any job I can sit at. I cannot stand for more than about 30 minutes without pain, and by the end of the day, it is excruciating - and standing five days a week... By the end of the week, I would be unable to stand at all, while damaging my joints further.

I am well trained in graphics, video production, newspaper production and editing, banking, analysis... And though I do apply for jobs that use these skills, I would say well over half are office and other non-creative jobs.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Ah. Give me an example of a desk job or even one I can sit at that I will find in a grocery store. Or a retail store. Or a fast food place. What the hell is flipping cars? Can I sit while doing it? Is yardwork a sitting job? I am on craigslist all the time. Many of my internet applications are from craigslist.

Do you have some sort of disability?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Do you have some sort of disability?

I do not look at it as a disability. I am fully capable of doing any job at which I can sit for an hour or two after being on my feet for 1/2 hour. That's a great number of positions out there (if not available). But yes. I suffer from a rheumatological condition similar to rheumatoid arthritis.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am siding with Fitch on this. Five years and 35000 jobs and still nothing?? I see help wanted signs all the time, but just as Fitch stated many people believe the places that are hiring are below them. I understand you have to be able to set...what about a greeter at Walmart or telemarketing which is ALWAYS hiring. If none of that works what about ELANCE.

My husband works in retail and I know that if he lost his job tomorrow, the next day he would be working at McDonalds or anywhere else he had to to make sure dinner was on the table.

Just to let everyone know I grow up in a lower income family. My parents were getting food stamps before it was the "in" thing to do...my parents also worked very hard to get us out of that situation.

Just as we shouldn't believe that our economy is on the road to recovery, we should also realize that some people (not all) are using the economy as an excuse not to get out and work. People have made it a "job" working the system...trust me I have seen it many times. Right now, I know four people on unemployment and getting food stamps...everyone of them very capable of working. Every week they update their paper work, putting down all the so called "job interviews' they went on...at times even providing business cards. These are four people very capable of working...they just don't want to when the govt. makes it so easy for them to set on their behind and get the checks. Give me a break.

I read the statement that the "foodstamps aren't even enough"...cry me a river. Do you have any clue how much money it takes to feed a family of four??? You should be thankful that it is not your money paying for those groceries!! Hell...if I could just not have to pay taxes on my groceries I would be happy and you are complaining that you aren't getting enough...gezzzzzzzzzz!!

Point is, if you wanted to work you would work.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If your own family won't, or is unwilling to take care of you, how can you expect others to do the same?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justagyrl
I am siding with Fitch on this. Five years and 35000 jobs and still nothing?? I see help wanted signs all the time, but just as Fitch stated many people believe the places that are hiring are below them. I understand you have to be able to set...what about a greeter at Walmart or telemarketing which is ALWAYS hiring. If none of that works what about ELANCE.

I would love to go through ELANCE - but I need to own the software. I own nothing (Word, biut that's about it), and have no internet at home. As for WalMart... I am intensely ambivalent. I LOATH them, their business practices, their personnel policies, and their business model. I mean HATE, HATE, LOATH. I admit, that is the one place I have yet to apply to (refuse to shop there when I have money). And there are no telemarketing jobs in the small college town I live in. Call centers, yes. No TM jobs I have seen.

My husband works in retail and I know that if he lost his job tomorrow, the next day he would be working at McDonalds or anywhere else he had to to make sure dinner was on the table.

I would be working at McDonald's too - IF I could stand for more than 1/2 hour at a stretch. I can't.

Just to let everyone know I grow up in a lower income family. My parents were getting food stamps before it was the "in" thing to do...my parents also worked very hard to get us out of that situation.

Well, I slid into that position. Like I said, I was making $60,000 a year at one point.

Just as we shouldn't believe that our economy is on the road to recovery, we should also realize that some people (not all) are using the economy as an excuse not to get out and work. People have made it a "job" working the system...trust me I have seen it many times. Right now, I know four people on unemployment and getting food stamps...everyone of them very capable of working. Every week they update their paper work, putting down all the so called "job interviews' they went on...at times even providing business cards. These are four people very capable of working...they just don't want to when the govt. makes it so easy for them to set on their behind and get the checks. Give me a break.

While I do not doubt that some are taking advantage, for the last two years that I have been on FS, I see more and more that slid there as I did and are trying to get out. They are having no more luck than I am.

I read the statement that the "foodstamps aren't even enough"...cry me a river. Do you have any clue how much money it takes to feed a family of four??? You should be thankful that it is not your money paying for those groceries!! Hell...if I could just not have to pay taxes on my groceries I would be happy and you are complaining that you aren't getting enough...gezzzzzzzzzz!!

Who was comp[laining??? That was parenthetical to the fact that we stand in line at the pantries for nearly spoiled food. Geez. Get off you high horse.

Point is, if you wanted to work you would work.

Given the number of people I have met out there trying to climb back up to where they once were and having no success...I think your point is uneducated about the reality today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join