It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Gasoline? No Problem, must read

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Guys what I am about to tell you will shock you to your very core. Some of you may know it, some of you may not care, some may be genuinely interested. I am going to provide a basic introduction and it is up to you do to the rest.

So gasoline, my favorite chemical. What about this mysterious substance that we are all over the world. It can only come from gasoline right? Wrong, gasoline can be made synthetically via a process called the "methanol to gasoline" (MTG for short) process called the Mobil process.

The knowledge I will provide you is a basic introduction, if you chose to pursue this project any further you will need resources and technical know how. Maybe a group of 50 people can pool together funds and start your own system

So what about this? This is the basic chemical reaction:

The two things you are required is Methanol and the catalyst ZSM-5. Don't ask me where to get ZSM-5, but if you need to I can tell you how to make it. ZSM-5 is a zeolite create by Exxon Mobil and it acts as a molecular sieve in catalyzing the reaction to create gasoline. It is very very efficient at creating high quality, usable, gasoline.

The quality of gasoline and its parameters are as follows:

If you want to make your own setup this is something which it may look like:

Their have been various offshoots of this technology such as the ARCO process, and the OXCO process but for introduction I advise you to begin with the MTG process.

Methanol is very very toxic and can lead to blindness. Do not, I repeat do not work with this chemical unless you have had professional training of working with hazardous chemicals:

www.midi-inc.com...

Then their are various things that you need to monitor such as pressure, temperature which determines the quality of gasoline you are trying to create. Are you going to use it in a ford or a bmw? You need to know what octane level you are generating. This all requires some equipment. You need the reactors to make your gasoline, source of methanol, source of the catalyst, quality control, sensors, safety equipment, pressurizers, a place to discard waste. It is feasable, it can be done, but it requires a lot of hard work for you folks who want to be energy independent. I for one, will one day make my own MTG gasoline plant for use in my own personal vehicles.

Once again this is just an introduction. I have 150 GB of science books including, chemistry, physics, engineering, and 200 GB of science journals such as Nature and Science so I have some sort of information on this topic as references if need be but Google is your friend, get this information before it disappears.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
That would be great , but I don't have a degree in chemistry.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

Well go get one
Start off at a community college and then transfer to your local state university and start your own synthetic gasoline business. I plan on eventually creating a backyard plant in the future. Not soon but in time.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yes yes yes….. There is various processes that have already been developed, and are currently being developed for synthesis of “in demand” products.

The problem with that process is that you rely on a feed stock that you have to get from somewhere. You are not using gasses/liquids that you can pull from the environment in limitless quantities.

The most promising systems base their design on using a nuclear reactor for making hydrogen, ammonia, methanol, synthetic hydrocarbons, or other products. Liquid sodium cooled reactors have a high enough temp range to support such a chemical synthesis.

The ultimate goal is to use a fusion reactor to produce synthetic products. Depending on the design of fusion reactors, they can drive such chemical synthesis processes.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The internal combustion engine wastes a tremendous amount of the energy it takes in in creating useless heat and noise.something like 85% of the unused energy created by combustion is carried away by the cooling water jacket., and hot exhaust gases only15%actually drives the vehicle forward we should be ditching gasoline for more efficient electrics.not using other chemicals to create it. Just My opinion...:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

You wont have the supplies to create your backyard fusion reactor. I am talking about a small community/personal solution to the Gasoline crisis. Yes the future with electric cars etc, but I drive a nice vehicle and I still want to be able to drive it when no one else can.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Well go get one
Start off at a community college and then transfer to your local state university and start your own synthetic gasoline business.

hahahaha
like somebody is gonna be able to get a degree
in chemistry before gas reaches $5 a gallon.
funny op

How are they gonna get to university with
no gas ???

I do applaud you for posting this. As some
may have a use for it. I will assume the
majority like me will not be able to take
advantage of your generous offer.
but thanks for the offer

edit on 3/5/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
No need for any of this. Ethanol is a sustainable clean fuel that is already a proven viable model that we could use to be energy independent in just a few years.. Most everything negative you have heard about it is wrong just ask Brazil who imports no oil and run 50% of thier cars on ethanol using about 1% of thier farmland to produce it.

With alcohol fuel, you can become energy independent, reverse global warming, and survive Peak Oil in style. Alcohol fuel is "liquid sunshine" and can't be controlled by transnational corporations. You can produce alcohol for less than $1 a gallon, using a wide variety of plants and waste products, from algae to stale donuts. It's a much better fuel than gasoline, and you can use it in your car, right now. You can even use alcohol to generate electricity. Alcohol fuel production is ecologically sustainable, revitalizes farms and communities, and creates huge new opportunities for small-scale businesses. Its byproducts are clean and valuable. Alcohol has a proud history and a vital future.

alcoholcanbeagas.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yes, but your process still relies on methanol which doesn’t come out of thin air. So you are still reliant on a larger system to create the gas. Yes, the final stage of the process is in your back yard, but the system in your back yard is just the final stage of a chemical processing system far larger than the unit in your back yard.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Jeezzz, we should all just stop using cars and start genetically modifying horses to run at 50 MPH. Dont need our metal boxes if we hae super fast animals to tote our butts along.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Jeezzz, we should all just stop using cars and start genetically modifying horses to run at 50 MPH. Dont need our metal boxes if we have super fast animals to tote our butts along.

lmao

so then what?
are the cops gonna get horses that run 60MPH
so they can overtake you and write you a
ticket for doing 50 in a 35 school zone ???

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Why not go beyond using fuel and find a better way to power vehicles,etc?

We need FREE ENERGY, not another variation of the SAME OLD THING!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Because I want to be able to use my vehicles without modification. I don't want to be driving some freaking toyota prius. Only german cars, only the best.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I read somewhere once in a Book about Germany during the closing months before the end of WW II that they were somehow producing fuel to run their War Machine Engines on Pine Cones and Potato Peels . Anyone here know anymore about that ?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

It might be related too wood gas. You take wood and other related materials and gasify it and burn the gas. There are some things floating around about how to run your car on wood gas.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Hmm.... Interesting , Think I'll do a little research on Wood Gas . Thanks .

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Well I found this Interesting Site that describes how People have been using " Wood Gas " in Cars since the 1930's . Seems like a Very Impractical Technology , but it works !

www.lowtechmagazine.com...
edit on 6-3-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Oh very nice, I downloaded and saved the website lol. Yea I think it would be nice to make the wood gas and then use a compressor to liquefy it into fuel so you don't have to carry that ugly thing in the back.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Your Welcome . If Gas Prices go Beyond 6 Dollars a Gallon in the U.S. by 2012 , then this Technology might actually become MORE Cost Effective than Petrolum Fuels . Here's one of the Links on that Site that describes other Sources of Fuel for Cars . Compressed Air .....Hmm...

www.lowtechmagazine.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Yea I'm still more interested in producing synthetic gasoline as it provides a very high energy fuel density. Unless BMW and mercedes start making cars that run on ethanol it is my only option lol.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join