It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin will strike the Moon?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
From what i understand, NASA is yet to say the size of it. I could not find it anywhere. This is a pretty good read.

elenin.org...
edit on 18-3-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: add link

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Reply to post by kdog1982

That actually kind of scared me for a second. I mean, think about it...if something big enough were to knock the moon on a path to collide with Earth...it would be nasty. I mean, it seems really unlikely, but just imagine the moon might appear a bit larger initially because of dust and rocks from the other side (maybe?) and then an announcement (yeah right...) that the moon is now on a trajectory to collide with Earth in 150-200 days - you're all going to die...
Yeah, I know...a bit morbid...a lot unlikely but still like I said...scared the crap out of me for a second. And to the OP - this is an interesting theory and if it's what is explained in the bible...then I hope it's not true...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hello I am an professional astronomberner and can confirm that COMET ELENIN IS ON COURSE TO STRIKE THE MOON POSSIBLE ORBS TOO?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
NASA has not officially released the size of Elenin at this point. Some people say it is really small but still has a huge tail, and I've heard it was bigger than Jupiter too.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

It was actually a minin-series on TV.

It was pretty good to. I liked it.

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_miniseries)

No ,.I did a search in my netflix account,.
It was called "Impact"
The moon was hit with a chunk of a planet that was considered a brown dwarf with Huge mass
and a piece of it stuck to the moon, creating a moon with an effect of a VERY large planet in gravity,.
Bla Bla bla,.
It was B rated movie,. but somewhat interesting for the scenario.
Hmmm
I hate to quote myself

But,. there currently is a new thread that states a brown dwarf has been spotted
Didnt read the whole thing,. but me wonders if it is in our solar system,.
Or dare I say( looks around) it is Elenin

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
reply to post by KOLTON

When you asked about if any experimental rockets could blow up an incoming object you made me think about the X-37 plane that they've been sending up doing secret things. Is the big secret just a spy application or is it looking to try and destroy something out in space? Remember when NASA had the "Deep Impact" mission where they collided a satellite into a comet? Was that also to see if they could divert the coarse of one?

Yes they could start a war in resource enriched lands. They Could also try and get a hold of most of the Earths oil. They would involve themselves in countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and set their eyes on places like Iran and any other country that has oil reserves. They could also spend money like there is no tomorrow and wouldn't care if the economy was crashing. It really does make you wonder doesn't it?

A moon impact could be just as catastrophic as an Earth impact. Still too early to tell what Elenin decides to do.
edit on 5-3-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

Deep Impact wasn't just a "satellite" it was carrying a "Smart Bomb" and it actually detonated on the comet...

(I watched it live and heard it from Nasa, but here is a source)

spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Wow man, thats freakin me out a liittle..

How reliable are their projections? This totally fits in with the seed banks and all the digging and the denver airport. I think it makes the most sense that the whole world won't be effected initially, as in bombarded by meteors and debris, and as the day approaches they'll be getting more accurate calcs and then they'll know where in the world to go. (they would then have to survive the "nuclear winter" in order to start again. Sheesh, I had to spit that out.

Which leads back to the ??????? How reliable are their projections?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Is it crazy that i'm REALLY excited at the prospect of Elenin smashing into the moon?

Can you seriously imagine how amazing it would be to actually witness a large object impacting the moon on a cool fall night? (assuming of course that it occurred on the light side of the moon and we had enough notice to point our telescopes and cameras on the right spot).

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by KOLTON
possibly a Comet attack

Seriously, a comet attack? I've never actually seen those two words combined. Dare I ask you to elaborate on this.....

Peace

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Armadall

Yes you are crazy- hope you can swim....

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Not to fuel the paranoia, but if the moon was struck, it would have to be from behind or glancing from a trajectory towards us for our gravity to affect the debris. And thinking along those lines while considering the scripture, if a bunch of moon debris fell on the Earth due to a comet strike, would the time frame for it all to enter our atmosphere, most likely take several hours to a half of a day of rotation, consuming about a third of our planet's surface?
I know when reading the verses from Revelation, we try to picture it, and our mind automatically sees widespread disaster. But, it could be isolated to a giant section of the Earth's surface. I hope we are on the back side, if it happens...Although a direct hit would probably be much more humane.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by KOLTON

Sorry...but no. Can't hit the moon. Fun to think about, but no. Unfortunately reality is way more boring than religious idiocy or ignorant conspiracy enthusiasts.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by KOLTON

Sorry...but no. Can't hit the moon. Fun to think about, but no. Unfortunately reality is way more boring than religious idiocy or ignorant conspiracy enthusiasts.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
You should have picked asteroid 2005 YU55 as the main source of fear.

24 days after Elenin passes, asteroid 2005 YU55, a round mini-world that is about 1,300 feet (400 meters) in diameter. will approach Earth within a scant 0.85 lunar distances. Because of its size and proximity to Earth, the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Mass., has designated the space rock as a “potentially hazardous asteroid.”

This flyby will be the closest by any near-Earth asteroid with an absolute magnitude this bright since 1976 and until 2028.

Close approach data shows it will pass Earth by 0.0021 AU (ie. 325114 km or 202016 miles) but it will pass the moon by 0.0016 AU (ie 239714 km or 148951 miles).

Now what the Jet Propulsion Laboratory failed to include in it's calculation is the enormous gravitational effect of, already disappearing in the distance, Elenin.

This astroid, the size of the USS Nimitz will alter it's trajectory to follow Elenin and slam right into the moon......

See, that works out way better. You could also add to this that 2005 YU55 is some form of attack but I'd leave it out. It wouldn't add anything and only leaves it more open to those pesky debunkers.

I know, it's a rough draft but if you pimp it up a little (throw in that revalation bit where you see fit) and it will be a perfect thread for ATS. Run with it....

(I'm just having some fun here, please don't hate me for it...
)

Peace
edit on 19-7-2011 by operation mindcrime because: aaarghhhh

edit on 19-7-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I remember when all this elenin stuff started, they said that it was four kilometers but everyone thought it was bigger... I've seen a few people ask, and I'm sure its not the actual size, but that's what I remember was reported. Source: my thc marinated noggin.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Bazinga!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by KOLTON

Will Comet Elenin strike the Moon?

No.

what would happen if the Moon was struck by a Comet?

It would depend on how fast the comet was traveling relative to the Moon and the angle of impact. It would certainly carve out a crater several kilometers across, scatter debris across the lunar surface and deposit water in the lunar soil. It would be an eagerly observed event, as it would contribute a great deal to our knowledge of the solar system. If the comet were traveling fast enough, it might actually send some debris towards the Earth, most of which would burn up in the atmosphere. Spectacular, but not exactly doomsday.

While I'm here, I'd like to point out that NASA is not currently observing comet Elenin. It will task at least one space-based solar telescope to observe it periodically starting in August. The best source for current information about C2010X-1 is here:
spaceobs.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join