It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darwin is an idiot.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CandiceZ

Man, sometimes time zone differences are a real killer. I was asleep when this post was made.

Originally posted by CandiceZ
Darwin is an idiot.

Ad hominem attack. Honestly? He was an idiot? You mean the guy who wrote several books and was all for treating native peoples equally before it was in vogue was an idiot? I'm sorry, but you may disagree with him, but no idiot was he.

A monkey and a cucumber are cousins?

Yep. Incredibly distant cousins.

Right, and what about the evolution of the horse?

Red flag goes up: typical creationist talking point incoming. What of it?

Species don't evolve from other species,

How many times am I going to have to post these on here? Those are observed instances in which one species changed into another species.

Oh, you're new...ok, I'll excuse your lack of exposure.

Here are some more times when we've observed speciation in our lifetimes.

there has NEVER been a transitional fossil of ANY species from one to another, even from CRO-MAGNON MAN to HOMOSAPIEN.

Define "transitional fossil".

And don't believe this "facts are the worlds data" crap unless you can prove it yourself, otherwise your going on someone else's PERCEPTION of the world's data. --- "Listen to everything, believe nothing, unless you can prove it''

I don't even know what you're trying to say, but I do think you're trying to somehow construct a straw man. I also would like to say that you shouldn't be so aggressive right off the bat.

Il probably get grief for this or ignored even, but its my opinion.

And you're entitled to your opinion. Conversely, I'm entitled to point out that your opinion is wrong.

The guy didnt know what he was talking about.

I'm sorry, but how is it that 150+ years of scientific inquiry have only gone on to strengthen the central ideas of the theory he outlined if he was wrong?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Xen0m0rpH

For sexually reproductive creatures one species begins when it cannot breed in a manner that produces fertile offspring.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Nope, it's some real fecal matter right here. It's called Tiktaalik and we actually have a fossil of it. Granted, I doubt this will convince you. Of course, I'll continue to try to show you why you're wrong.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Evolution is not an opinion, evolution is a scientific fact, it's up there with the scientific facts that allow you to have a computer that lets you demonstrate your ignorance of science to the world at large.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

What? Where did you get that from? Darwin disagreed with the idea of a creative deity, he said that evolution showed that life's variety could have come about without design.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I wanted to reply to this with "fail troll is fail" and leave it at that, but I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to assume that this is a serious post, and treat it as such.

Darwin is an idiot.

He's dead, so it would be better if you said, "Darwin was an idiot." You'd still be wrong, but it would at least be more grammatically correct.

A monkey and a cucumber are cousins?

Very, very, very ... very, very distant cousins. Insert a few extra "very"'s for the ellipsis. You should read up on universal ancestry and keep in mind that we're more closely related on a genetic level to plants than bacteria.

Right, and what about the evolution of the horse?

What about it? It evolved from a much smaller, multi-toed, fox-like animal. It's interesting that you would pick that as an example of why Darwin was an idiot because we probably have a clearer picture of the evolutionary lineage of a horse than any other animal. There's even a Wiki article on that very topic,

Species don't evolve from other species ...

Speciation occurs and is observed today, so to say this doesn't happen is just sheer ignorance.

... there has NEVER been a transitional fossil of ANY species from one to another ...

Really?

... even from CRO-MAGNON MAN to HOMOSAPIEN.

Are you quite sure of that?

And don't believe this "facts are the worlds data" crap unless you can prove it yourself, otherwise your going on someone else's PERCEPTION of the world's data. --- "Listen to everything, believe nothing, unless you can prove it''

We can get into a whole epistemological argument over what is proof and how do we know things and what are facts. From a scientific perspective, evolution is a fact - it has been repeatedly observed and verified. From a scientific perspective, it is also a theory - a unifying framework that explains the facts of evolution. And it's a theory that's been strengthened by a century and a half of evidence.

Il probably get grief for this or ignored even, but its my opinion. The guy didnt know what he was talking about.

I think you're laboring under a common misconception - that the theory of evolution begins and ends with the work of Darwin. Darwin built his work on a foundation laid by earlier scientists, and Darwin's theories were combined with genetics, paleontology, and systematics in the early 20th century to form what we think of as the theory of evolution today. Darwin's part of it is just as valid today as when he penned it, but it's still only a part.
edit on 6/3/2011 by iterationzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I dont know, but Im not just going to go on some random guys perception on how we became to be.

Even though he was able to support his theories with evidence that he gathered himself and that over 150 of new evidence does nothing but strengthen them?

We are not meant to know.

Now that is an argument from ignorance. If you truly believe this, you should never take another antibiotic again in your life, because it was mankind's drive to understand evolution that gave you those.

Evolution is Darwins opinion, doesnt mean it has to be mine as well just because it sounds like it could make sense.

It's about as far from an opinion as you can possibly get, given the weight of evidence that supports it. And no one should ever suggest that you believe it because it "makes sense" - you should believe it because there is proof of it.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I dont believe the 'big bang' or the theory that we re the cousins of monkeys ect......

Cosmology and evolution are two totally different areas of study.

I think Intelligent Design is the theory I would most agree with.

Intelligent Design isn't even a theory. It's a hypothesis, at best, and a pretty poor one at that since it can't even be tested in order to be verified. I can't decide if ID is bas science masquerading as bad religion or bad religion masquerading as bad science. Keep in mind that the main text used to promulgate ID is an inherently religious one. The author literally did a word search on his own text for "creationism" and replaced it with "Intelligent Design" - this was shown to be a fact during the Kitzmiller case.

Intelligent Design states that the universe and its inhabitants could not have evolved by the "blind chance" set forth by Darwin.

Great strawman argument that shows you're either being willfully deceitful or are just ignorant of how evolution works. Evolution is not a random process. Say that over and over again to yourself until it sinks in. One mechanism of evolution, mutation, could be argued to be random, but the overall process is not.

Unlike creationism, ID does not state that God is the intelligent designer.

No, but when you press ID'ers regarding who the creator is, it always comes back around to God.

It only says that there is clear evidence in nature of intelligent design.

Clear? Hardly. Citation needed.

It does not recognize the possibility of one species evolving from another, but it does acknowledge the possibility of slight evolutionary changes within one species.

Speciation has been observed today. Since Intelligent Design doesn't recognize something that is observable right now, it's wrong. Glad we could clear that up.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
I bet you $2Mil that Darwin is burning eternally in the dark pits of hell right now. Cause we all know he didn't go to Heaven. What do you say to people like that at their funeral? I really wonder what good things anyone had to say about him at his funeral service? That he was good man and is in a better place? Must have been pretty akward for a guy that didn't have Christ and convinced millions of americans that we somehow came from oragutans. I don't feel sorry for him regardless. He's led millions to hell along with him. You atheist and people of other beliefs can belief that BS that you are animals, I won't. Call me stupid and crazy. I'll be stupid and crazy on my way to Heaven instead of burning in Hell for an eternity! Simple as that! It all comes down to death. When it knocks on your door, you believe in lies like evolution and you don't have Christ, your whole has been basically a failure and worth nothing. Oh sure your studies may have convinced some people their true and facts but when death comes knocking at their door as well and they don't have Christ either, what was it worth? Your whole life thrown down in mere minutes. and paying for it with eternity?! My God. Some people are just too sad for words.

Darwin wasn't an atheist and being a proponent of the theory of evolution doesn't preclude the existence of a creator. Just ask Ken Miller. Most of the people in the world are theists in some way, shape, or form. Outside of the United States and Turkey, a majority of the populations of developed nations subscribe to the theory of evolution. Ergo, there's a ton of theists who find evolution to be wholly valid.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
haha creationists do make me laugh. They are taught that evolution is false and fed stories that dont stand up to scientific scrutiny.
One of my favourite people on youtube is a guy called ThunderFoot...hes a scientist...heres a couple of his vids talking about this subject

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47

Darwin is an idiot. A monkey and a cucumber are cousins? Right, and what about the evolution of the horse? Species don't evolve from other species, there has NEVER been a transitional fossil of ANY species from one to another, even from CRO-MAGNON MAN to HOMOSAPIEN. And don't believe this "facts are the worlds data" crap unless you can prove it yourself, otherwise your going on someone else's PERCEPTION of the world's data. --- "Listen to everything, believe nothing, unless you can prove it''

Il probably get grief for this or ignored even, but its my opinion. The guy didnt know what he was talking about.

A scientist that created a theory of something like the origin of life. One whom should be respected in history for bringing such claims up in his time.
In the true sense of the term, i believe you to be the idiot for bringing absolutely nothing to the table, and ridiculing someone who spent his life for science. Even if the theory of evolution is false, it was only a theory, and it brought much knowledge to us. You should be thanking him.

-----edit---------

I dropped out of highschool yet i still understand the concept of evolution, but it seems you're too blind to even think about it

The theory states that:

One single cell organism split apart, into two. Now one mutation that could occur between the two (Evolution) could be that one is adapted to oceans, and the other to the shores.

Lets say the first organism created duplicated into ehh 100 same-copy organisms. Call em Class-A

Class-A drifts apart until one Class-A is 100 miles away from the spawn region.

Class-A 100 miles away adapts into a sunny area, and mutates into a more sun rich type thing organism Class-B

Class-B multiplies untill theres another mutation and so on.

Now theres Class-A and Class-Z (Z is from 26 mutations.) Class-Z looks more landlocked since it went to shore half way through mutations, and becomes Land plants. Class-B (the one that mutated differently than the A-Z line) turns into Animal-type cells.

Add a billion years, and we all have the same "Mother" Therefore we have cucumber cousins.
edit on
edit on 5-3-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

Correct, it is only a theory. Only a theory. This theory is taught as factual in school. That annoys me. extra DIV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

so what's your theory as to the origin of species and life in general?

I dont believe the 'big bang' or the theory that we re the cousins of monkeys ect......
I think Intelligent Design is the theory I would most agree with. Intelligent Design states that the universe and its inhabitants could not have evolved by the "blind chance" set forth by Darwin. Unlike creationism, ID does not state that God is the intelligent designer. It only says that there is clear evidence in nature of intelligent design.It does not recognize the possibility of one species evolving from another, but it does acknowledge the possibility of slight evolutionary changes within one species.

Are you really 26 years old? You sound more like you're 5...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This is what you sound like OP

edit on 6-3-2011 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

out of darwin and yourself id deffinately brand you the idiot.

go read up on evolution if you understand it more ull not think its so ridiculous

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Yes...science is all just a big fairy tail meant to make God mad...now go back to sleep dear, and don't attempt to use that brain of yours....also whatever you do, don't read a book about transitional fossils, of which there are COUNTLESS examples....don't look up anything about the countless Vestigial structures and organs which are found in tons of animals including humans. Whatever you do don't look at the UNDENIABLE Evidence of common descent in the DNA record!!! In fact don't search for phrases such as "Evidence of common descent" at all...and certainly don't read the Wikipedia article on it!!! Its much safer to simply ignore any evidence, no matter how valid that your blind faith is wrong. Believe me, by simply ignoring things you will live a much happier life...there is even a word for this breakthrough philosophy...its called IGNORANCE.
We have a phrase around here in Sheepleville....we call it "Ignorance is Bliss" And it truly is my dear...it truly is!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I'm with you on this dude, i'm intelligent design all the way, and lifeforms are part of that intelligence.
But, pro-evolution types versus the likes of us just ends in stalemate, because neither side can actually prove
their particular stance on the matter.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

A scientific theory is different from the layman definition of theory. In science a theory is an eplanation for a phenomenon based on observed evidence. Thus, the theory of evolution explains the observed fact of evolution. The theory of gravity explains the observed fact of gravity.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So many ridiculous and contradicting statements here. Especially 'The guy didnt know what he was talking about'.

It's almost like people are expecting to find 'Pokemon like' evolutions fossilied underground. Anywhere they start digging.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
FYI, everything evolved from hydrogen fusion. This all began when conditions cooled enough for atomic elements to bind. Stars are the genesis of this fusion process, we are all made out of stardust, so to speak.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join