It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darwin is an idiot.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by InDeMioN
This somehow leads the avatar of madnessinmysoul ad absurdum because there is no gradual change in darwins theorie ...no constant evolving of the species ...darwin states that in one moment an unicellular organism has no senses at all and after an random mutation has a fully developed eye in the next generation for example (this is extremly simplified of course)

Overly simplified and extremely wrong. What you're arguing here is irreducible complexity, the concept that the complex features we find in organisms today could not possibly have evolved piecemeal because to remove one part would render the entire feature useless. Sorry, but this has been debunked repeatedly. The poster child for this concept is Michael Behe and ever single example of irreducible complexity he has ever posited has been shown to be reducible.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
... the evidence that Darwin was way off is getting larger by the day ...

Really? Care to show how?

Keep in mind that the theories that Darwin put forth are only part of the larger theory of evolution. The study of genetics didn't exist back then.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
The theory of evolution has been twisted around so much that those that believe in it are no better then the religious folk who believe in a theory that has changed over time to go along with new findings and yet couldn't prove it from day one.

In what way has it been twisted around? You seem to be saying that you don't think scientific theories should be changed to accomodate new evidence. If this is the case, you seem to have a lack of understanding of the scientific process. It's not a "you get one shot at getting it right and you're done" process, it's a process of continual refinement and greater understanding.

Evolution or God!?!?! no one sees either so both are as bad as each other in my opinion and the only reason many people go along with the theory of evolution imo is because they don't like religion.........so evolution is the only theory they can get their heads around.

There are plenty of theists who believe in evolution. Most of the population of the world is theistic in some fashion. A majority of the population of every developed nation, with the exceptions of the United States and Turkey, are proponents of evolution. So it seems that quite a few people have managed to reconcile their faith with scientific fact. Look up Dr. Kenneth Miller sometime. He's a fascinating guy who has written quite a bit on the subject.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Here is some recent research on horse evolution that verify a long-standing theory that horses evolved through natural selection.

While paleontologists have long held horses as classic examples of evolution through natural selection, the theory has been difficult to test because the majority of horse species are extinct. However, Mihlbachler and Solounias' observation that dental changes in horses follow their dietary changes is consistent with evolution due to adaptation.

www.sciencedaily.com...
You can keep your head in the sand as you please,but human knowledge will still advance.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by samaka
Evolution is a theory, theories have flaws written all over. I can sit here a pinpoint them 1 by 1.

This should be good...

Evolution doesn't explain the origin of life. Scientist have been unable to prove that life can spring from nonliving molecules this is a fact...

Why would a theory regarding biodiversity, which can only take place once life exists, be concerned with how that life got here? There are several hypotheses for abiogenesis, which is what you're talking about, but evolution doesn't require a working one.

Where are all the transitional fossils? Sure you can me show a pretty picture of a fish evolving to reptile to mammal and say each species of fossils is in transitional but that is highly false. For an animal to evolve a fin to a limb is a HUGE step and logically isn't possible. So tell me where are transitional fossils from the animal evolving because it would take more then 4 - 5 species in the evolution chain to get to the next phase.

Several people have posted links to transitional fossils in this thread. Sorry that you haven't taken the time to actually read them, but an argument from personal incredulity (and also one from willful ignorance) isn't a flaw in the theory of evolution.

Just because DNA mutates doesn't mean it's evolution. There isn't any evidence of humans DNA mutating even though humans live in different climates around the world.

You have approximately 180 mutations that differentiate you from either of your parents. Human DNA mutates constantly.

There's more evidence that support creation then evolution. I recommend every evolutionist to read up on cambrian explosion.

Show me a Cambrian bunny and you can claim that there's evidence for creationism. And that old chestnut about the Cambrian explosion? It's a total semantic fabrication playing on the word "explosion" to make it seem like new species were simply appearing in no time at all. This only works if you're OK with the idea that 80 MY is a short period of time.

It is evident to me that evolution is a religion more so than scientific fact. Evolutionist have FAITH on mere coincidences in events that's impossible to even occur. They have faith on scientific data that's base of a theory that's not even a fact.

You're showing a basic misunderstanding of what facts and theories are from a scientific standpoint and you're completely ignoring that there's a century and a half of evidence that's done nothing but strengthen the theory.

Evolutionist like to believe that 2 very big rocks width the perfect dimensions going at the perfect speed at the perfect angle colliding at the perfect time in perfect location in space that formed the perfect earth that's at the perfect distance, rotating the earth perfectly while orbiting perfectly around the sun..... I literally can on, but you get my point...

I have yet to see that anywhere in the theory of evolution. Quite a strawman you've built yourself there. Hope it helps you sleep at night.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CandiceZ
And I think you all should look at this
www.darwinismthegreatestlieinhistory.com...

Yeah... this guy believes that the theory of evolution is a Jewish conspiracy and he's a holocaust denier. Enough said.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Creationists cling onto one word in the Theory of Evolution...and that word is THEORY, it allows them to hold on to their superstitions a little longer. Yet just because something is called a theory doesn't mean it's still in dispute, Evolution is accepted as a fact world wide (exept in redneck American schools). The Theory of Gravity is still called a Theory but it doesn't mean that we don't all know gravity is a fact.
edit on 6-3-2011 by ac3rr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Maybe we evolve a little, But I think radiation helps mutate us into other things over long periods of time. Darwin probably had it half right, But anyone is an idiot who believe's that someones theory is the end all be all answer. We will always learn more around the corner!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

I'm tired of people starting threads that turn controversial and then abandon it when asked to justify their opinion. Don't start a thread like this if you can't take the volume or tenacity of the replies that come through. It shows a lack of respect to the topic and people who want to discuss it.

I think one of the best pieces of evidence we have for the factual existence of evolution and its processes is in disease/viruses. Part of the reason we can't develop a proper flu/cold medication is because they evolve faster than we can combat the changes.

Yep. And the viruses are still viruses!

edit on Sun Mar 6 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrEuphoric1
Maybe we evolve a little, But I think radiation helps mutate us into other things over long periods of time. Darwin probably had it half right, But anyone is an idiot who believe's that someones theory is the end all be all answer. We will always learn more around the corner!

You do know that heat is considered a form of radiation? Bananas are one of the most radioactive fruits.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrEuphoric1

That's exactly right. Darwin didn't create an end all be all theory. That's why it's been modified with genetics, virology, punctuated equilibrium, etc. to create the modern evolutionary synthesis.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by REDHORSE820

The avian flu is a bird flu because it specifically targets birds but it evolved to be transmitted to humans. Many diseases can be traced back to when we became pastoral societies.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CandiceZ

plugging a site run by a sunni muslim that says

Striving so that the moral values of the Qur’an may be spread among all people is a responsibility incumbent upon all people of faith and good conscience

Sharia law? No Thank You!!

Darwin's theory may not have been perfect but I'll take it over being stoned to death because I was raped any day!

Linking to a fundamentalist Islamic site as your basis for calling Darwin an idiot is so absurd that is actually comical!
I believe I'll stop reading this thread now

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
In order to be justified in denouncing Darwin's ideas and/or evolution, you would first need to understand them. Having read through a majority of this thread, I can say most of the posters, including OP, have no understanding of the theories they reject.

The arguments presented are so outlandish that I thought I was being trolled; maybe I am.

This thread is an idiot.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

"Under controlled conditions". Well under those conditions anything can happen. And have we seen and animal evolve in a lab? I'd love to see that video.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Burgo

Darwin had a degree in theology but came to be agnostic and thought of himself as such. His theories on evolution are not incompatable with religious beliefs:

Another source of conviction in the existence of God, connected with the reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more weight. This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful universe, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and far into futurity, as the result of blind chance or necessity. When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist.

This conclusion was strong in my mind about the time, as far as I can remember, when I wrote the Origin of Species; and it is since that time that it has very gradually with many fluctuations become weaker.

Usually it is the religious fundamentalists, who have not read Darwin, that claim he did not believe in god; glad to see that someone else on the board does more than regurgitate talking points.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ShakeNBake

Here is an example of lab evolution in bacteria observed by scientists.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ShakeNBake

We have posted links to observed instances of speciation a few times in this thread. Feel free to go back, find them, and read them. Science can't always be easily summarized in a video and if people need a video to believe something then that truly indicative of how far we have fallen.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join