It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should obese people be required to pay for two seats on an airplane? Yes!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ntech

Thats false.
The only disadvantage these people have are being Endomorphs. If you are unaware, an Endomorph is someone with a slower metabolism which puts on unhealthy food and empty calories as bodyfat because their metabolism doesn't use the energy as fast as ectomorphs or mesomorphs. You know how to counter this? Stop eating fast food, stop ingesting food with high fructose corn syrup, and stop eating over 2000+ calories a day. You wanna know what happens when you do not eat over 2000 calories a day, no matter what those calories come from? You lose weight, you do not even have to exercise. Not being obese is probably the easiest thing someone can do to make themselves healthy and yet our world is too lazy to control themselves from eating those extra snacks they don't even need, but want to eat because they are bored. Stupid stupid stupid. I work at a pizza joint currently and everytime someone orders a salad I want to go on a rant about how ordering a salad is not going to counter the effects of the days worth of calories they are about to take in. Save your money and get a gym membership.

www.cnn.com...
Don't want to give up your heart attacks in a box? No problem this professor lost weight on the twinkie diet. STOP OVEREATING PEOPLE.

edit on 6-3-2011 by LogicMan07 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by LogicMan07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Auto makers provide what the customer wants to maximize profit be it small or large.

Airlines force as many seats into a plane as possible to maximize profit.

The average airline economy class seat is 17-18 inches wide, the average adult human is 5'9" tall and has a shoulder width of 18" as a minimum, If you at 6 foot have shoulders that are less than 17-18" you must have the build of a string bean.with unusually small chest and very narrow shoulders.

The airlines are forcing uncomfortable seating conditions to increase profit.

If you feel that someone is stealing the space you bought then you should notify the authorities, I would be interested in how far that gets you.

If you feel that you have been shorted by the service provider, the airline, then demand a refund.

BTW I can see you have a great desire to be my "buddy" but, as I am somewhat selective of those that I associate with, it just can not be...sorry.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
if they have a legitimate disorder or disease or its cause by medicansions they have to take NO they should not pay.

if its just from over eating yes.

doctors can tell.

other wise there would be a number of lawsuits by disabled veterans and other disabled against the airlines.

in my case i have a number of disorders that caused my weight gain like sleep apnea caused by a neurological disorder, Neurosarcoidosis. diabetes caused by Sarcoidosis, heart attack due to the Sarcoidosis.
and i was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for years and in good shape till hit by the sarcoidosis. I am also a US Navy veteran.
www.local2507.com...
www.medscape.com...
www.firehouse.com...

I have been on a low carb diet(diabetic diet) for over 20 years after a doctor told me i would be a diabetic by age 40.
It worked as i did not become a diabetic till age 58.
But i am still on the diet as its the best for controlling blood sugar levels along with the meds.

But being disabled and unable to exercise to lose weight it has slowly increases every-time i have become unable to get around due to my disorders.

If a airlines tried to make me buy another seat all they are going to get is a lawsuit under the ADA laws and other laws covering the disabled.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I'm LMFAO! I don't care either way, but I find it hilarious that this discussion is taking place on here. This is the comedy I was looking for today. Thank you,

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

i have a brother like you. he hates fat people. a lot of people do. personally, i like when people show their true colors.

i'm overweight most of the time. a neighborhood across the street loudly commented to her husband how i am so fat i could use a bra. as if i'm the only one that is oblivious to how huge i am.

the one thing i like about being my size ( 6'-3", 365lbs) is that i can sit on most peoples chest for about 10 minutes and they will probably be finished.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I think the test is whether or not the heavy person can sit in a regular seat without part of his/her body bulging over into the space belonging to the next seat. If a glob of fat intrudes upon the next passenger (beyond the centerline of the armrest) then they have to buy two seats. I think, though, that paying double should be dependent upon whether the plane was full or not. If not maybe just a surcharge would do. Something like a fat ticket.
edit on 6-3-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Well, lets not just stop at a "Fat Ticket"...

Lets make a "Tall Ticket" .... Or a "Broad Shouldered Ticket".... How about an "Extemely Muscley Meathead Ticket"

When we bring those in, we can try for a .... "You're the ugliest thing i've ever seen even though you are skinny and i shouldn't have to pay to look at you on my flight ticket"

Why stop at Airlines too?

We could start implementing all of these in places like Cinemas and Concerts, i know i've been stuck behind a six footer at these kind of venues that have completely obscured my view and ruined my evening. How about they pay extra and are only allowed in certain designated areas?

Hell, lets not stop there, how about we divide all our fellow humans into certain catergories and they have to start paying extra for their differences and are only allowed in certain designated areas.

F%&* It!!!....Lets just stick everyone who's different into a concentration camp and work them to death!!

Slippery slope People!!

edit on 6-3-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
reply to post by JakiusFogg

If there are a number of obese passengers, do they sit them on alternate sides and along the length of the plane to balance it?

My last two plane trips, I sat next to the Fat Guy all the way to Wellington and all the way back! (Lucky it's only an hour.) Fat Guy # 2 snored all through the flight, and then woke up and apologised - for snoring, and for literally sleeping on top of me - he'd been travelling since the previous day! Nice sweet guy, but when he's older he's going to have serious, and I do mean serious health issues. Luckily here (New Zealand) there's a lot of publicity about obesity-related health problems for his ethnicity..
Vicky

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ntech

Remember, the only difference between you and them may be something as simple as a childhood accident or disease may have put them on the path that they are on now. And getting rid of the weight may not be as simple as cutting back on the candy bars.

Also you should watch the language. Try putting in Negro or Indian in your language and see how you sound. Do you really want to be a bigot llike that?
edit on 5-3-2011 by ntech because: (no reason given)

Negro? Who says Negro in the 21st century? You're kidding, right? I suggest you watch the language!
There are far fewer overweight people for whom it's a medical issue than you seem to believe! (Disclaimer - I am severely underweight, and it's probably a medical issue, but that's a whole other pair of sleeves...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by trailertrash

Well, lets not just stop at a "Fat Ticket"...

Lets make a "Tall Ticket" .... Or a "Broad Shouldered Ticket".... How about an "Extemely Muscley Meathead Ticket"

When we bring those in, we can try for a .... "You're the ugliest thing i've ever seen even though you are skinny and i shouldn't have to pay to look at you on my flight ticket"

Why stop at Airlines too?

We could start implementing all of these in places like Cinemas and Concerts, i know i've been stuck behind a six footer at these kind of venues that have completely obscured my view and ruined my evening. How about they pay extra and are only allowed in certain designated areas?

Hell, lets not stop there, how about we divide all our fellow humans into certain catergories and they have to start paying extra for their differences and are only allowed in certain designated areas.

F%&* It!!!....Lets just stick everyone who's different into a concentration camp and work them to death!!

Slippery slope People!!

edit on 6-3-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

Good post
Oh and I would much rather sit next to a fat person than some arrogant, drunk A-hole who is a jerk to the flight attendants or who's on his phone the entire trip blabbing loud enough for the entire plane to hear how fabulous and rich he is.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
Worst of all, despite all these lovely features, they still expect to be treated like a real person.

Overall, this post was funny. However, this part is unacceptable. I understand that you don't like fat people. But to denounce them as a "real person" is over the top. That's the kind of mentality that enslaved African Americans and Native Americans. You need to think about your hate for fat people. You never know, a fat person could save your life or kill you one day.

As far as the topic goes, my thought while reading this thread was, "make bigger airplanes in general." Problem solved for everybody

edit on 6-3-2011 by Mizzijr because: Literary mistake.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

haha

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Fly business class my friend. It is much better than coach but not as expensive as first class. I am only 5'6" and weigh 155, so I can fit almost anywhere. When I was going through training, the joke was "small guys should be penalized because they have less weight to carry."

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed

But do NOT think you know ANYTHING about the fat person in the seat next to you cause sometimes they really are innocent!

If I was sitting next to you on a flight and said "Excuse me, may I rest my hand against your thigh for the duration of this trip?" You would probably say no, because it would make you uncomfortable. Although I'm sure you would be thinking "Yes go right ahead!" because I'm pretty attractive.

Well, if you are as attractive as you think you are, then the flight could become rather interesting don't you think? *wink wink*

Also, judging by your avatar picture you don't look like the type who would be a nuisance to sit next to in any atmosphere. You look and write in a way that is quite lovely.

Why thank you sir! But you know looks can be deceiving! The avatar pic is recent and not one from when I was at my heaviest. Trust me when I say that you would have found nothing aesthetically pleasing about me at 227 pounds. i know when I looked in the mirror I sure didn't. And even though it was not my fault n that my body took the GOOD fuel I was giving it and turned it to pure fat, I still felt guilty and became very introverted. I found out just how judgmental people could be. It was a real eye opener for me and it made me change how I look at those who are different than the norm. I'm much more open minded to finding out who the person is inside now than I ever was before.

As for me writing in a lovely way, honey that's just cause of the TOS here. If I said what was really on mind, you'd probably be shocked.

]

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm fairly tolerant but if someone has to sit on my lap because they don't fit in their seat (or for any other reason) I'll complain about it. I think anyone who pays for a seat should get one that fits 'em, regardless of their size.

Originally posted by Mizzijr
"make bigger airplanes in general." Problem solved for everybody

If only, bigger airplanes will use more fuel. So then everyone including normal sized people will end up paying more to offset the additional fuel that these bigger airplane requires.

Lets just stick everyone who's different into a concentration camp and work them to death!!

You know I was in total agreement with your post until I got to the bit, quoted above.
OMG! Concentration camp.. that's so last century... Seriously, I'd make them do 'community work' to pay off their debt to society

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by yizzel

Lets just stick everyone who's different into a concentration camp and work them to death!!

You know I was in total agreement with your post until I got to the bit, quoted above.
OMG! Concentration camp.. that's so last century... Seriously, I'd make them do 'community work' to pay off their debt to society

You say Potatoes, i say Pota..... Big fat greasy French Fries

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
If my personal space on an aeroplane was being infringed by the fat rolls of an obese person. If I was being uncomfortably squeezed into my seat by said fat rolls and could not move freely, I would complain to the airline attendant, and I would also ask for my money back or at least my fare reduced for the general unpleasantness thrust upon me by the airline. That is fair! I have not received the enjoyable flight experience as per advertised.

Obese people (whether it be medical or otherwise) must also understand that it would be an unpleasant experience for the other person. That doesn't make that other person bigoted in anyway, nor should it make them the target of transferred guilt by others in this thread.

IRM

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Of course, you realize that if by some magic your desires were fulfilled, everyone who by reason of recognized medical infirmity, will have legal recourse to demand subsidy compensation for the added cost. Which means then tax-payers will have to pay the 'surcharge' for weight. That, or insurance companies will adjust their actuarial tables, and they additional cost will be redistributed that way.

Thin folks will demand, and probably have right to, equally offsetting cost reductions for their own lack of mass... people will start taking ex-lax before their official weighing for the trip.... etc.

Airlines will have to codify the 'standard' one person size and a metric for standard passenger will open new ways to externalize costs.... that way they can get subsidies as well, for accommodating a person who is larger than average.

Fuel will be only the first excuse, and the most versatile since it extends to anyone who doesn't fit the proper "image." Do they charge extra for wheel chair bound passengers? People who travel with oxygen cylinders, etc?

Some may disagree, but I contend whether you think of this as a point of fuel consumption, or personal safety or comfort, its really about profit when it comes to pricing. Otherwise they wouldn't always try to pack people in there like sardines.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Deny ignorance? THIS is ignorance and, as usual, the morons of society are picking on a (growing) minority to blame for their problems. Most of what I'm going to say has been said before in this thread, and people completely missed the point, so read it, and read it slowly, and I'll try to make it understandable to the simpletons.

First of all, some people are overweight due to medical conditions, genetics, or comfort eating as a response to psychological trauma. If you deny that then you are an idiot. I'm sure pretty much everyone overweight for one of those reasons hates it a lot more than you do, mainly because they are ganged up on and judged by the brain-dead buffoons of society.

Secondly, being overweight does not necessarily make you unhealthy. You can have high cholesterol - which is the main cause of heart problems, not being overweight - even just being of an average weight. Yeah, it can make it harder to get around and cause respiratory problems - as can smoking, among other things. Why not bash smokers? Its much harder to get addicted to smoking than to get fat.

Thirdly, do you think anyone likes being overweight? I used to be fat, and I got bullied for it, it was embarrassing, and I still have low confidence and self-esteem. But maybe you should all research metabolism before you start judging. There are skinny people who eat a hell of a lot more than I do and they weigh barely anything, because of their METABOLISM. I have a better lifestyle than some people, but I still used to be overweight.

And finally: Maybe start crying to the airline manufactures instead of looking for a minority to pin the blame on. There is ridiculously little space on an airline - I'm a 14 year old of average height and weight, but a flight on a plane is horrible, they are far too squashed up. Maybe they should make airlines with more space? The average height AND weight are increasing, but still airlines are manufactured in the same sizes and people wonder why its so hard to fit.

I think you lot should stop judging. Imagine you got told to move seat because of your weight. It would be very damn humiliating. Being judged and bullied by ignorant people like you is what drives people to anorexia, and that causes a hell of a lot more problems than obesity.
edit on 6/3/2011 by Techy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Listen, shut up about other people's weight! Do they feed you on planes? No! Do you get hungry while flying? Yes! Guess who's got food...that's right! Fat people! So if your nice to them, maybe they'll pull a extra gobbalagol, provolone and vinegar peppers from inside a fat roll for ya!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join