It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should obese people be required to pay for two seats on an airplane? Yes!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarist

Originally posted by ntech
Couple of problems here.

First off for some people overweight is a medical disorder. Some people in the world would weigh 300 lbs with nothing but bread and water to eat.

Hmm, the only person with sense in this thread? So many people are ignorant. The war against fat people is the new bigot craze! Well now that African Americans got their freedoms let's take away fat people's and continue on the never ending bigot cycle. Fat people just don't lose weight by not eating a Big Mac. And the reason they lose weight on diet plans is because they are starving themselves, with typically 1000 calories a day.

And that's coming from a 125 lb 5'9'' guy.

There's no war against fat people. There's just more attention being paid to it because the numbers of the obese are skyrocketing, and have numerous effects on health.

Something wrong with your reading comprehension? Fat peoples freedoms? Who's talking about not letting them eat big macs? In my opening post I said I don't care what they eat or what their lifestyle is. I do however care, when I'm the one paying for their space. We're talking about sitting on an airplane, not everyday life.

Are fat peole free to infringe on the space others have payed for? Is that the freedom you are looking for?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Couple of problems here.

First off for some people overweight is a medical disorder. Some people in the world would weigh 300 lbs with nothing but bread and water to eat.

Hmm, the only person with sense in this thread? So many people are ignorant. The war against fat people is the new bigot craze! Well now that African Americans got their freedoms let's take away fat people's and continue on the never ending bigot cycle. Fat people just don't lose weight by not eating a Big Mac. And the reason they lose weight on diet plans is because they are starving themselves, with typically 1000 calories a day.

There's no war against fat people. There's just more attention being paid to it because the numbers of the obese are skyrocketing, and have numerous effects on health.

Something wrong with your reading comprehension? Fat peoples freedoms? Who's talking about not letting them eat big macs? In my opening post I said I don't care what they eat or what their lifestyle is. I do however care, when I'm the one paying for their space. We're talking about sitting on an airplane, not everyday life.

Are fat peole free to infringe on the space others have payed for? Is that the freedom you are looking for?

Well, if you look at Japan, fat people don't have equality. They have to pay more for health insurance and life insurance. And it's been proposed before in America, and surely it'll make it's way over here. And don't give me the fat people are unhealthy bs. Weight has no bearing on health, it's propaganda from weight loss companies like Slim-Fast. If you look at corporate sponsors of "independent" studies, you'll find their supported by large conglomerates that own companies like Slim-Fast. And the healthcare industry also wants in on it, so they can get money off of you for gastric bypasses. And my post wasn't completely directed at you, but the rude and dumb comments made by other users.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

And all others! You do know that the aircraft manufacturers use the ridiculous average of someone who is 5'6' and 150 lbs to design and build aircraft cabins don't you? The average for most of the US and a good part of Europe is 5'9 and 180 lbs. It doesn't matter how you complain it's the companies who demand that they pack as many seats into an aircraft as possible. It's US Air, Continental, and the rest that are to blame for this problem. They haven't changed the average seating size in most aircraft since the 60's. It's advantageous to the company and they could not care less if you're uncomfortable!

Zindo
edit on 3/5/2011 by ZindoDoone because: spelling

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

You make a great point. Don't blame fat people. Blame Airbus and Boeing. Hell, taking flights is uncomfortable for me, even if I have no one seated beside me. More room between rows and larger seats are the solution.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Aquarist because: typo

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Couple of problems here.

Well, if you look at Japan, fat people don't have equality. They have to pay more for health insurance and life insurance. And it's been proposed before in America, and surely it'll make it's way over here. And don't give me the fat people are unhealthy bs. Weight has no bearing on health, it's propaganda from weight loss companies like Slim-Fast. If you look at corporate sponsors of "independent" studies, you'll find their supported by large conglomerates that own companies like Slim-Fast. And the healthcare industry also wants in on it, so they can get money off of you for gastric bypasses. And my post wasn't completely directed at you, but the rude and dumb comments made by other users.

Really? Weight has no bearing on health? I think you've said enough on this topic.

To be obese in the first place, there needs to be a lack of physical activity, and filling your body with unhealthy foods full of toxins and poisons. But no, no ill effects whatsoever. Obesity leads to all kinds of heart and resperatory problems. It leads to problems with your joints, and causes back problems. It causes depression, and leads people to get on prescription meds. It leads to high cholesteral and blood pressure, which also lead to medication. You're telling me a healthy lifestyle, with good foods, exercise, and a healthy weight have no benifits? How many obese people do see every day in their 60's? Not many. Why? Do some research.
edit on 5-3-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarist

Which is actually an argument for not pricing by the seat.

Pricing by the seat means the more seats you can cram into your plane, the more profitable you are.

Pricing by the pound means you dont need to maximize number of passengers to make a profit.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarist

Weight has a huge effect on health. You have been reading the wrong studies if you think other wise.

I've seen people that were huge, that lost lots of weight and got off a lot of medications because their health problems drastically declined. Some even disappeared.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Airlines need to rise to the occasion, and start making their paying customers more comfortable, including making larger seats to accommodate the heftier crowd, not humilate them.

I was shopping for a new chair a few weeks ago, and I noticed how BIG they are. lol. I thought, what are these things? They look almost like loveseats, but they aren't.

If chair manufacturers can rise to the occasion, so can airlines.

Disclaimer: I weight 110.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Why don't you do some research and realize you're getting fed CORPORATE PROPAGANDA. Might as well watch Soros' MSM if you believe it. So you mean to tell me to be obese you MUST be lazy? Hmm, that's funny. Funny that my grandmother that is obese walks 3.5 miles a day and doesn't break a sweat. Funny my father can pass a very hard physical every year that even I can't complete. Strange that unhealthy food makes you fat. Considering my family eats almost all whole foods and organic products. I'm the most unhealthy in the family, and again, I'm the skinniest. I read an article before about this (truly) unbiased study that showed the skinny people had more heart problems than the fat people. And I could go on about all the other things you point out...Healthy lifestyles have benefits, I never denounced that, but being "overweight" isn't bad. If you're 90 lbs or 600 then there is a problem, but being 300 lbs you can enjoy a healthy long life. Also, another strange thing. My obese great grandmother lived into her 90s, my grandparents are well into their 60s, and I have people I work with that are also old and obese.

Sidenote, to the other poster, I don't really denounce the pay-for-your-weight if *everyone* is required to do so. It's just I don't like it when others make false assumptions and believe the hype.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
OP if you want more space you should buy two tickets.

I understand that many find pleasure in blaming others, it is a way to stroke and masterbate their ego, it is a way to artificially elevate ones self by putting others down.

Your problem lies with the airlines that continue to reduce the size of the seat in an effort to cram, pack and shoehorn as many passengers onto the plane as possible, with no consideration of your "personal space" and no promise of a comfortable flight.

OP at 6 foot 180lbs, unless you are of a slight build with a narrow chest and girlish shoulders, you will soon be the one that no longer "fits".

I recently sat next to a 6 foot 180lbs guy (was it you?) that had foul breath, body odor that smelled of Old Spice and rancid sweat, this passenger took his shoes off adding to the stench and then topped it off by eating blue cheese and sardines while his child screamed, cried and yelled continuously, behind me sat a rather small woman that invaded "my space" every time she sneezed on the back of my head.

My point? we all effect each other all the time, if you you can't deal with that you will have a rough road ahead.

PS I heard it is the small skinny people that pee all over the floor in the bathrooms.

edit on 5-3-2011 by deepred because: jus cuz

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

All i will say is avoid the centre of the plane if you see fatties in the queue!!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
instead of putting blame on the obese, maybe plane manufacturers should make more tolerable allowances in seating arangements, there is hardly any room for a passenger of 'normal' size to squeeze into seats provided let alone those with larger bodily proportions, what with already shared armrests, minimum movement of seat angles, and not enough space for the person towards window to freely step into ilse anyway, it's all to be expected. try flying first class if looking for comfort, maybe more room can be found there.

but yes, the size of person in op's photo does pose a problem without having proper seating allocated, a two seat option should be a standard implimentation set for this kind of thing, let alone being a safety issue with no proper use of seat or belts as supplied, for such incidents to occur in the first place is a fault of airline policy to begin with and should not ever have been allowed as given practice in effect.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred

I understand that many find pleasure in blaming others, it is a way to stroke and masterbate their ego, it is a way to artificially elevate ones self by putting others down.

Your problem lies with the airlines that continue to reduce the size of the seat in an effort to cram, pack and shoehorn as many passengers onto the plane as possible, with no consideration of your "personal space" and no promise of a comfortable flight.

OP at 6 foot 180lbs, unless you are of a slight build with a narrow chest and girlish shoulders, you will soon be the one that no longer "fits".

I recently sat next to a 6 foot 180lbs guy (was it you?) that had foul breath, body odor that smelled of Old Spice and rancid sweat, this passenger took his shoes off adding to the stench and then topped it off by eating blue cheese and sardines while his child screamed, cried and yelled continuously, behind me sat a rather small woman that invaded "my space" every time she sneezed on the back of my head.

My point? we all effect each other all the time, if you you can't deal with that you will have a rough road ahead.

You caught me. I admit it. I'm blaming others for taking up space I paid for, to stroke my ego. Spot on! I feel better about myself, and my ego continues to grow, as I point out the fact I shouldn't have to pay for space someone else using. Caught me red-handed.

Yes, I should buy 2 tickets.

Yet....I'm not talking about having more space. I'm talking about someone taking up the space I paid for. Not suprising, you completely missed the point. Try reading a little slower buddy.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You know, this really grinds my gears. All the stereotyped bullcrap about fat people!

As a "fattie" myself, I am offended. I m 5'2 and 180 pounds. I did not get fat by "eating snickers and drinking xlarge slurpees" I got fat by having diabetes and not knowing for over two years! (blame my doctor I kept telling him something just wasn't right and he told me it was in my head and prescribed antidepressants which added even more weight gain)

I've never been a "bad eater" or a "binger" I eat normal healthy meals 3 times a day with very little snacking. I drink plenty of water, actually it's almost all I drink. I never even touch soda-pop that stuff is lethal. I steer away from fast food cause it's just gross, I don't think those places are even sanitary at all and I'm pretty sure NONE of the things on the menu are what they are supposed to be.

Lazy? I wish! I am a full time Mother, (and trust me keeping up with my kids is like a freakin' triathlon! I am also a green belt in Olympic style Tae-Kwon-Do. i go three times a week to classes that last an hour and a half each. and, if you think its a walk in the park think again, it's more like Korean freakin boot camp!

For two years, even living this healthy life style I still went from being a nicely toned 135 with crazy muscle tone and flexibility to a slower, weaker 227 pounds at my heaviest. FINALLY after being diagnosed and getting the correct treatment, the weight is coming back off. It was NOTHING I did that made me fat!

Some of you people who think your so great and entitled to stuff just because your skinny need to be sat on a few times by someone like me! You have no idea what it's like to be ridiculed over something that you can not control, to be punished for it!!!

If you need more room complain tot he airlines about the size of the darn seats! Buy YOURSELF and extra ticket so you don't have to be bothered by anyone you feel may be beneath you holiness! But do NOT think you know ANYTHING about the fat person in the seat next to you cause sometimes they really are innocent!

If I could say what really on my mind I'd get banned so that's it for now. Sorry for the rant but it just touched a really really sensitive nerve in me!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred

You caught me. I admit it. I'm blaming others for taking up space I paid for, to stroke my ego. Spot on! I feel better about myself, and my ego continues to grow, as I point out the fact I shouldn't have to pay for space someone else using. Caught me red-handed.

Yes, I should buy 2 tickets.

Yet....I'm not talking about having more space. I'm talking about someone taking up the space I paid for. Not suprising, you completely missed the point. Try reading a little slower buddy.

First, I am certainly not your buddy...........AH, it seems the truth stings.... tell me how much space exactly was promised to you/ is it measured in cubic feet?

Do you realize that at 6 foot 180lbs you are taking up far more space than the seat you bought was designed for? so you are guilty of doing exactly what you are complaining about, using your logic, YOU are taking more space than you paid for.

It seems you should read my reply a little slower and understand my point......that people come in all shapes and sizes and you are blaming your problem with the size of the seat provided by the airlines on your fellow man.

I can not make this any simpler........ YOUR problem IS with the airlines, NOT your fellow man.

The next time you fly have the airline define and guarantee the amount of space you are buying......if they do not provide what you believe you payed for then take it up with the airline.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I am only 10 stone. some one who is 20 stone should pay excess bag edge.
if my bag was more I would have to pay.
and they have 10 stone more than me.
what about fuel? they do it by wait.
and the fuel is not cheap!
if I pay for my seat I dont wont some one sitting on the edge of my seat,
with there gut and arm on my side.
it is totally unfair.
but they dont see it that way.
they should think of it from the other persons point of view.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

But do NOT think you know ANYTHING about the fat person in the seat next to you cause sometimes they really are innocent!

If they truly are in the seat next to me, there is no problem. It is when their excess baggage spills over past the arm rest and touches me that it can become uncomfortable. If I was sitting next to you on a flight and said "Excuse me, may I rest my hand against your thigh for the duration of this trip?" You would probably say no, because it would make you uncomfortable. Although I'm sure you would be thinking "Yes go right ahead!" because I'm pretty attractive.

If you are a Type 2 diabetic, you may want to look in to creating a mostly vegan or vegetarian diet. There is evidence a balanced veg diet can control or in some cases eliminate diabetes. It sounds like you already have come up with a good dietary plan though, just sayin.

Also, judging by your avatar picture you don't look like the type who would be a nuisance to sit next to in any atmosphere. You look and write in a way that is quite lovely.

tell me how much space exactly was promised to you/ is it measured in cubic feet?

Everything between my arm rests is the space promised to me. Keep out.
edit on 5-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

And this continues to fly right over your head.

At 6', 180lbs, I'm not taking up too much space, or more then the seats are designed to handle, if I'm not crossing over into someone else's space. Just imagine a straight line going up from the center of each armrest. If I can stay within that space, which I'm more then capable of doing, then how am I taking up too much space? Now, if you can't stay within that space, then buy more. Pretty simple stuff, buddy.

So humans continue to get bigger and bigger, as obesity levels keep rising, yet the problem is the seat? Ok....buddy.

So when an obese person goes to buy a new car, if they can't fit inside, or it's not big enough, it's not their fault for being a fat#, but the fault of the car company for not making a bigger car? That's exactly what you're implying with your logic.

How about if in America, we got rid of all the suv's, and larger cars, and just went with the smaller ones you regularly will see in Europe. Many Americans would have trouble getting in and out of those cars due to their size. But, according to you, it's not our fault, it's the fault of the car company, because they aren't increasing the size of the cars they manufacture at the same rate peoples bellies are growing.

Sure buddy, completely understand.

I guess the fact we're also regarded as the fattest country in the world leaves more room for your excuses as well, huh? But no, not our fault! Blame the companies for not making everything larger.
edit on 5-3-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Mesomorph...endomorph...ectomorph. Learn as much as you can about these body types and how they tie in to genetics and some people may not sound so narrow minded and hateful when they plead their case. And because of the fact that there are way more fat people than skinny... I am at a loss as to why airlines can't just create a few special seats in the cabin to accommodate larger fliers. There needn't be to many since the average overweight person still fits in a normal seat without issue. They could even advertise that the seats are available request and there would be a small service charge. No one likes to be squashed, and in cases such as those everyone would be happier and get what they want. That being said....as a plus sized woman I always get a chuckle at people who think that all fat people are such because they are lazy and greedy. Sure, there are those, but I row and have lifted weights off and on since I was 15. I prepare all of my meals and have a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and proteins. Im extremely light on my feet and am a combat enthusiast so I dont see myself getting winded from a walk up the stairs any time soon. And still....Im fat. I have had 4 kids and my body just aint what it used to be. Do I have an issue with it? Nope. Because I am being my most effective self and no succumbing to the belief that social memes dictate who I am as a person.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
For some people there is just no excuse.

We're talking about the extreme end-of-the spectrum morbidly-obese here folks; as if there has to be an extreme to the morbidly obese demographic, but there it is. The guy in the picture.. he's taking up half the damn aisle, and he towers over everyone else on the entire plane. They literally would not be able to roll the cart past him, (I would have liked to see that one by the way.)

Not to mention, in the event of an emergency, such as a rapidly spreading fire... What would happen if he just rolled right into the aisle and got "stuck". Funny, but not really. He is now a human blockade while people stack up on top of him and burn to death.

There is just no excuse for that sort of accumulated mass.

To the people claiming it's genetics, or "hormones", not their fault at all, etc. Please look at the OP's picture again. After looking at that picture, I want to seriously challenge you in trying to claim to me, that this gentlemen attempts exercise. Please, try to bluff that to me. Tell me this guy just tries his ol' darn hardest to exercise to lose that weight which is entirely not his fault. I will sincerely allow you to persuade me on this one, and I'll report back to you after you try.

Also, when you figure out the miracles for "not their fault weight gain", I would (along with the rest of science) like to pressure you into the foreign aid business, so you can teach all the 'starving-to-death' of the world how to randomly be morbidly-obese. Strangely enough, no one in that demographic suffers from trolley sized weight-gain.
edit on 5-3-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join