It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Supersonic Rocket Car Aims to Break the 1000mph Mark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

.The first full test firing of the rocket that will power a British car to over 1,000mph (1,600km/h) will take place in the coming months.

Producing 122kN (27,000lb) of thrust, the hybrid Falcon motor will be the largest rocket to be ignited in the UK for 20 years.

It will not be the only power unit in the Bloodhound vehicle when it tries to break the land speed record next year.

There will also be a jet from a fighter plane and the engine from an F1 car.

The team behind the project believes this trio of power units could secure the absolute land speed record for Britain for many years to come.

Here is a link to the article on the bbc website for those interested www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
this does sound quite cool but i do wonder what kind of practical use we could get out of such a thing and i feel it could just be a bit of a waste of money and resources, but i suppose it could be seen as some kind of triumph for mankind and probably costs alot less than the average nuclear weapons test.

good luck to the driver though, i wouldnt want to be in his shoes.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wow! So I guess they'll be using multiple engines at once.

Can't wait to see if they actually pull it off! The British are good at tinkering with stuff like this.

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
its amazing really, they are using a cosworth formula 1 engine as a fuel pump for high-test peroxide rocket fuel, which i assume will be mixed with some kind of other fuel when it gets to the jet engine and rocket parts of the vehicle.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
OK, I'll be that guy: Awesome thread. S & F. I love this stuff.

Craig Breedlove, Spirit of America = childhood idol. I think it was 600 mph back then. I know slow poke but that was in the 60's.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
But to throw a monkey wrench into the works here....lets look at an electric that can turn 11.5 second quarter miles outrunning C6 Corvettes, Maserati's and Lamborghini's.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
its amazing really, they are using a cosworth formula 1 engine as a fuel pump for high-test peroxide rocket fuel, which i assume will be mixed with some kind of other fuel when it gets to the jet engine and rocket parts of the vehicle.

That just sounds mad!
Seriously though, can't wait to see that. Hope they manage to do it. The British do seem to have 'the right stuff' when it comes to land speed records!

new topics

top topics

join