It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think my computer is getting old.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I like my computer but I think some of the hardware is getting old. There is allot of loud humming noise coming from somewhere and one of the hard drives make a grinding noise during a start up.the core temperature gets into the 100 degrees range! The software runs really well! better than most computers that run on Windows X.P.but it still has hardware issues.any advice on this stuff?
edit on 5-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: small error.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Open up the case and make sure the cpu fan is not clogged up with dust. The humming noise could be the power supply fan. Just givethe fans a good cleaning. As far as the hard drive, you may need another one. Best I can think of is after you clean everything, get your recovery cd and wipe the whole thing and start fresh. Hope that helps.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
I like my computer but i think some of the hardware is getting old. There is allot of loud humming noise coming from somewhere and one of the hard drives make a grinding noise during a start up.the core temperature gets into the 100 degrees range! The software runs really well! better than most computers that run on Windows X.P.but it still has hardware issues.any advice on this stuff?

I replace mine every 2 or 3 years. By the time you pay for more hard drive space, or a new hard drive, more memory, new cooling fan, etc , it's just cheaper to replace the whole thing.

Every time I get a new PC, I'm amazed at the speed difference.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Do you know if there is a device that you can buy that exchanges memory in a hard drive like the one the x box 360 has? If so do you have any recommendations for any of them? I might at least replace the drives.

edit on 5-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: nedded more

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
reply to post by Deebo

Do you know if there is a device that you can buy that exchanges memory in a hard drive like the one the x box 360 has? If so do you have any recommendations for any of them? I might at least replace the drives.

edit on 5-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: nedded more

You mean so you can get the data from your old drive and put onto a new one? A lot of comps "cases" have room for 2 drives. But there is also a thing you can buy called "ide to usb". You basically take your drive and just plug it into a usb port and use it like a flash drive and copy everything. As another poster said, you might be better off buying piece by piece and making a whole new comp.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

I don't understand what you mean by that, could you please explain it? Thanks in advance.

As for the temperature and the noises in the computer, as Deebo said, it's probably the result of dust accumulation, that's why I clean my computer once a year and why I don't have it on floor.

Cleaning the CPU, power supply and case (if they exist) fans should make it run cooler and quieter.

There are some free programs that will show you some information about the disks, like if they are reporting some problem, soit would be good if you got one of those also.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I am talking about sending the memory from my drives to a new one so that advice will help. Thanks. I might upgrade other things like the mother board and C.P.U. I hear they have the new "sandy bridge" hardware now. I might as well get all new hardware this year. Do you have any advice on a board? I hear ASUS is pretty good.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Hi - I would suggest that you blow the dust out with a tin of compressed air.
If you feel confident enough - remove the processor fan and processor (it really is not that difficult at all - just need a steady hand so you dont slip and push a screwdriver through your motherboard) and apply some thermal paste to the processor then reseat everything.
Temp wise - the fact your processor is still operating is a miracle as its beyond critical point for most devices:
CPU Temp Critical Points

As for the Hard Disk - I would recommend getting a new one, putting it inside the case and "imaging" or "cloning" from your existing hard drive onto the new one - then take the old one out and discard, before it dies completely and leaves you with the possibility of losing data.
Clunking noises and hard disks are a BIG warning sign!
You can get completely free disk imaging software from here:
Disk Cloning Freeware

Its fairly easy to use - install it on the PC, choose a SOURCE disk and TARGET disk and it will literally image the entire source disk to target, so that when you remove the old failing hard drive and replace it with the newly created target disk you will not notice any difference (apart from the lack of clunking and very likely more free disk space as the new drive will no doubt be larger)

Good luck...any probs post back will advise where I can..

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Now don't take this the wrong way Paranormal, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, but it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing. Now I'm not trying to discourage you or anything (we've all gotta start somewhere, right? ) but I would suggest seeing if anybody you know is experienced with computers, especially if you're going to build one. It's not hard to do, but one mistake could ruin it all (learned that the hard way years ago
)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Yea basically I am going to upgrade some hard ware on my current computer. Old computer new parts, the thing is almost 51/2 years old now and I think its about time for a few upgrades. I was looking at getting the new Intel core i7 ultimate or the standard i7. I did a little research on computer parts and found some cool stuff.only problem is it's expensive to get these upgrades. If you have any tips on how to avoid problems with the installation of the new parts,let me know.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The humming noise is most likely the CPU fan bearing going bad (the most common problem). That, and the dust that is probably in the CPU heat sink will explain the 100 degree CPU temp.

Get a new heat sink/fan setup to go on the CPU, or clean up the old heat sink and get a replacement fan for it.

On the grinding noise, I would say you are hearing the fan making a grinding noise when it spins up. If the hard drive was making a grinding noise then it wouldn’t be working. You can get bearing whine when the bearings get old, but not a grinding noise.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

The funny thing about the grinding noise is when it happens I bump the side with my fist and the grinding noise stops and nothing goes wrong. But I still want to fix it when I can.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Then it's probably a fan, that also happens with an 8 years old computer I have working as a web server.

If I apply a carefully directed and calculated force (a kick) it stops doing the noise.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

8 years is to old for a computer these days. What is the operating system you use? Does windows 7 work on computers that old?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

That is the bearing going out on a fan. If it is coming from deep in the computer case, then it’s the CPU, or AGP fan. If it is the power supply fan, then you will hear the sound coming out of the back of the power supply louder than you will hear it in the computer case.

If the fan in the supply is bad, and you are technically competent, then you can replace it, I have done it many times. But for most people, it will be easier, and safer to just buy a new supply.

Just open the case, turn on the computer and wait until it makes the noise. Put your thumb on the hub of the cpu fan to stop it from spinning. If the sound quits, then you have got your problem. If the sound quits when you put your thumb on the AGP fan to stop it from spinning, then that is your problem. There may be other fans in the computer than could also be causing it. So look around in the case.

And it is also advisable to not hit the case when the computer is running, that is a sure way to screw up your hard drive.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I have a second laptop that is almost 7 years and it's running fantastic and it isn't showing any problems you're describing with yours. Windows 7 (if I wanted it) would run fine on it, though I choose to run Linux, which probably contributes to the performance I'm getting on it. I think that the age vs performance is an iffy correlation, they do not necessarily. Too many factors to call that one.

On another note: anyone reading about the massive amounts of complaints to Microsoft with regards to Windows 7 upgrades destroying batteries? Apparently, this is an issue that has been going since 2009 without an explanation. Things that make you go hmmmmm....
edit on 5-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

That computer now has Windows Server 2003 installed, but before that (two years ago) it had Windows Vista.

It was a little slow (with only 1.5 GB of RAM), but it was possible to work with it, I even opened a 1.2 GB image in Photoshop when the computer had only 768 MB of RAM. I couldn't do much more, but it opened the image.

I have not tested it, but everything points to Windows 7 being a little better with older hardware, if supported, obviously.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

good to know dude thanks for the info. I have thought about building a gaming computer out of an old ATX shell a friend might give me. By the way does anyone know about that limited edition pyramid shaped computer case? I believe it was called the Luxor 2000 or something like that. I just think they look awesome.They are clear ATX cases in the shape of a translucent pyramid with neon lights.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well laptop hardware is different compared to a desktop. Parts tend to ware out faster in desktop computers more so than laptop computers.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Huh... I didn't know that. I've never owned a desktop, though. I would have guessed it would be the other way around (they last longer) Interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join