It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians Storm State Security Building In Cairo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

CAIRO — Hundreds of Egyptian protesters have stormed a building of the country's hated internal security service in Cairo.

It is the second time in as many days that protesters forced their way inside State Security Agency offices.

Three weeks after the fall of longtime leader Hosni Mubarak, Egyptians are turning their anger toward his internal security apparatus, rallying outside several of its key buildings Saturday to demand that it be dismantled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Still, after all that protesting, rioting and Mubarak stepping down there is still unrest within Egyptian borders.

This seems to be the main reason why they are still protesting.

Protester Mohammed el-Saffani says hundreds of protesters barged into one of the buildings, in the northern Nasr City neighborhood from the backdoors, despite an army cordon.

He says the protesters want to save official documents that they believe are being destroyed to hide evidence of human rights abuses.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

So these people want to make sure that these files are not destroyed. That seems like a good cause. They are just trying to make sure justice is served.

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Their fight isn't done yet. Mubarak ruled for very long time and I'm sure he still got some power in Egypt. I do believe he is trying to destroy evidences against him if he haven't done that already...

I hope they will get freedom they fight for and i hope their army is really on their side.

edit on 5/3/11 by dario86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

www.huffingtonpost.com

CAIRO — Hundreds of Egyptian protesters have stormed a building of the country's hated internal security service in Cairo.

It is the second time in as many days that protesters forced their way inside State Security Agency offices.

Three weeks after the fall of longtime leader Hosni Mubarak, Egyptians are turning their anger toward his internal security apparatus, rallying outside several of its key buildings Saturday to demand that it be dismantled.

The first thing that popped into my mind is, why? The military has largely been on the side of the people thus far. Why would the people all of the sudden go against the people who ousted Mubarak?

Sounds to me like the work of the CIA. What would the every day Egyptian want from that building? Why won't those same people barge the antiquities cites and stop the looting of ancient artifacts?

Either the Egyptian people don't have their priorities straight or someone else is pulling the strings.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm glad the Egyptian people are keeping up the pressure and reminding others that accountability for what happened is still due and that just because the main conflict is over, it is not a reason for TPTB to rest on their laurals.

Good luck to them.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SirClem

I think this is more aimed at the "internal security apparatus" as they put it in the article. sounds more like it was Mubarak' secret service or highest paid and loyal military not the peoples Mil.

Good article its good to stay updated I am glad to see they aren't just quitting and letting outsiders take over.
edit on 3/5/2011 by -W1LL because: sp

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
They're probably looking into 30-years worth of "disappeared" people, too. I'm sure Mubarak's regime harbors a lot of little dark secrets, locked up in his fortresses just waiting to be liberated by the people.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
*UPDATE*

Washington Post

"This could be bigger than Mubarak's fall in terms of the effect it could have on the country," said Elijah Zarwan, a Cairo-based analyst with the International Crisis Group.

State Security also collaborated with the United States on counterterrorism and was likely to have kept files on the rendition program under which terrorism suspects from around the world were relocated to Egypt by U.S. agents, Zarwan said.

But there were indications that some of the most sensitive documents might have been destroyed or removed, and most of the rest were taken away by prosecutors, witnesses said.

The evening attack on the facility in the Cairo suburb of Nasr City was the culmination of a wave of similar assaults over the previous 24 hours on State Security offices across the country, apparently fueled by rumors that officials had begun burning or shredding documents.

So basically in a nutshell these documents their people wanted to protect were going to be burned and forgotten.

Interesting twist, and it implicates the US too.

Could these files hold some kind of evidence regarding the US's role in Egypt uprising, or would these files hold crimes committed by mubarak and his 'former' people?

hmmmm

top topics

join