It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorists illegally detained at Florida tolls - for using large bills!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
they're not toll booths, they're checkpoints. next time have your documents ready so the gestapo can wave you thru.

i got better things to do than wait in traffic.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Reply to post by Aggie Man

You do realize that you do not have to pay red light camera fines.

It is not a criminal infraction, it is a civil one.

When you don't pay, it is sent to a collection agency, who bumps the price, then gives you bad credit.

You then file suit.

*They can't prove it was you driving.

*They did not extend you a line of credit, and/or provide a service that you requested, therefore they have no right to send it to collections or report to credit bureaus.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If remember correct.. Dont all currency notes in the u.s have "for all debts public and private" on them .. Thus the toll operators are refusing valid currency and use of the road should be free.. Quite asinine wanting information on individuals who pay with large bills.. Use 1 cent coins to pay with in that case...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
News video investigating and covering this story:

Looks like definite racial profiling is tied into this policy....A GIGANTIC lawsuit may come about in relation to this criminality...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The obvious questions to ask would seem to be these:

Who instigated this program?

Who approved it?

Who implemented, i.e., wrote the policies governing it?

Who had access to the data collected?

What kinds of filters are regularly used on the database?

What did they pay for that access?

To whom did they pay it?

I think the racial profing was just icing on the cake, a side benefit for racists and an obvious red herring with which to deflect attention from the main point of the exercise: the collection of economic and travel pattern data on the high rollers, those who paid with $100 bills, "high rollers" being a relative term here.

Such information could be useful and valuable to many different groups for many different reasons. Studying the query patterns would tell you how the database was used, which would point to who benefitted from it.

It seems to me that the minimum penalty for this is a few years in jail for around 200-300 people from the top levels of the agencies involved, and a class action lawsuit. The class action should be aimed at eliminating the problem by outlawing toll roads, and opening the roads for free travel to the people who paid for them in the first place.

Florida is a really sucky state. I had the misfortune to be stationed there in the USAF. The day I left I swore an oath that the only way anyone would ever get me back there would be in a pine box.
edit on 6-3-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I live in Lakeland Florida, which is a City inside Polk County...in fact I live about 2 miles from the HWY 98 S. Exit of the Polk Parkway and I know 1st hand of what they do. I have been detained 3 times, of all which had been over 20 dollar bills. Once I even said I would like my money back and I was told no...the attendant eventually gave me my money back and I just drove away....a few days later I received a bill in the mail for $1.00...lol. This practice is illegal and they should be sued, and I would love to get on on this class action lawsuit.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I find this odd, as every gas station or store of any kind has a pen that can be used on 20, 50, and 100 dollar bills. If its orange it's legit, if it turns black it is fake.....why do they not have these?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Guess they are suspicious of black or hispanic people carrying big dollar bills since they aren't suppose to carry it.

MBF

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
It's funny how these toll roads, when they are built. are supposed to become free when they are paid for, but evidently they never get paid off. They are just a convenient way to generate revenue. Those bills, even though they are large, can't be refused to pay tolls. Yes, these people have a law suit against them in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join