It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia bans all protest and marches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Saudi Arabia bans all protest and marches

www.reuters.com

Saudi Arabia has banned all protests and marches, state television on Saturday cited the Interior Ministry as saying after Saudi minority Shi'ites staged small protests in the oil-producing eastern province.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
And so it begins?

How long before Obama says something about that or will he apply a double standard since it's Saudi Arabia? After all, he's our dictator, Bush gave him some tongue action...

Banning protests will just lead to more protests... clashes will be bloody... if Saudi Arabia falls, the world economy is screwed...

Big protests planned for March 20... but with this recent development, I bet we'll see protests before that.

Here comes trouble.

I doubted this story :
S Arabia deploys troops amid protests

Since it's from Iran... but it seems it was true...

And about oil prices... you add this :
Major Libyan oil plant ablaze as rebellions erupt in Tripoli after Friday prayers

Oil will skyrocket monday morning... if you haven't see 4$+ at the gas pump in the US yet, it is coming monday.

ABC NEWS : Gas: $5.29 in Florida, $4 in Massachusetts

And of course the MSM and the government will blame the ``crash of the recovery`` on the ``dirty arabs`` because of oil skyrocketing... when in fact, it's because of Bernanke's QE that all those revolts started in the first place, not to mention, much of the recovery was utter BS.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I see the ban going through, they won't allow it to happen, and the Obama hypocrisy will shine through.

Just as it has for Iran. Certain things he will not touch, and this is surely one of the highest on his list.

So why this?

Oil surges to near $120, then eases on Saudi assurance

– Thu Feb 24, 3:10 pm ET
NEW YORK (Reuters) – Oil surged to 2-1/2-year highs near $120 a barrel on Thursday as the revolt in Libya choked exports, then eased as Saudi Arabia assured European refiners the kingdom could step in to fill any supply shortfalls.

news.yahoo.com...

And this:

POSTED: Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011
Amid unrest, Saudis vow to boost oil production
By NEELA BANERJEE - Tribune Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON Crude oil prices pulled back from highs not seen since 2008 as leaders from Saudi Arabia to the White House offered fresh assurances that the world wouldn't run short of oil despite violence in the Mideast and North Africa.

Oil futures hit $103 a barrel in New York trading Thursday but ended the day at $97.28, down 82 cents. In Europe, oil also fell in electronic trading after nearing $120 a barrel.

Petroleum prices had surged on fears that political unrest in Libya, Egypt and other countries could reduce global supplies - pushing fuel costs higher and throwing the fledgling global economic recovery into reverse.

But energy traders were calmed Thursday by news that Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter and OPEC's de facto leader, was in talks with European refiners to fill the gap caused by the disruption in Libya, which pumps about 2 percent of world oil consumption.

www.bellinghamherald.com...

This was swept under the rug while the flames on Libya were fanned. How many people even saw these news articles? Not imagining many did, based on the hysteria.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Libertygal because: ETA stuff

edit on 5-3-2011 by Libertygal because: fanned, flamed, who knows?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

This was swept under the rug while the fans on Libya were flamed. How many people even saw these news articles? Not imagining many did, based on the hysteria.

I saw them, but many experts believe this is just BS to calm speculation.

This is not the first time Saudi Arabia said this kind of thing... while never increasing the output.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Oh, I agree, but at this point, the US doesn't even need it. We are not near running low, in fact, the last I heard, we had a surplus of Winter blend that needed to be sold off quickly, because the Summer blend was coming, and we had too much gasoline!

It all reeks of a set-up, so much so, with the intent of raising prices for profit. Prices were indeed supposed to go *lower* to sell off the Winter Blend gasoline! They did speculate the prices would go higher when the Summer Blend came in, then suddenly, all of this carp with Libya started.

The rebels in Libya even claim they don't understand what all the fuss is about, as they have kept the oil flowing at the same rates. Nothing in that respect has changed. I even saw an interview with them last night where they showed them at one of the refineries. The rebels are very concerned with keep the refineries running.

Something just doesn't smell right in Denmark with all of this.

It feels very manipulated.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Libertygal because: then than tomato tomahto

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hell yeah it's manipulated. There was an investigation in the price of oil back in 2009... about the rise in 2008 to 150$ a barrel...

Well guess what, 90% of the rise was speculation funded by JPMORGAN.

The investigation concluded that oil should have stayed at around 75-80$ a barrel but JPMORGAN nearly doubled the price of it through speculation.

Those sick bastards, just for this should be dismantled and all their leaders and speculators traders be hanged. Same goes for all the banks who do this with food, which LITERALLY KILLS PEOPLE.

The biggest speculator of them all is BERNANKE and his insane economic policies of QE.

You don't need armies and bullets to kill millions of people and overthrow regimes, all you need is a printing press.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Saudis mobilise troops to quell revolt
www.independent.co.uk...

And this guy is getting ready

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Protesters call for 'Saudi Revolution'

A group of Saudi youths has called for a “Saudi Revolution” on March 20, using Facebook, to demand democratic and political reform in the monarchy.

The Facebook group, which has over 17,000 members, also called for a “Day of Rage” to be held on March 11, DPA reported.

Activists now allege that state security forces have shot dead online activist Faisal Ahmed Abdul-Ahadwas, 27, the main administrator of the Facebook group calling for the coordinated protests.

They say the body of Abdul-Ahadwas has been confiscated by authorities to "hide evidence of the crime," and that he was killed because of "his commitment to a better future for his country," DPA stated.

So March 11...

'Saudi repression bodes ill for Riyadh'

The following is the rough transcription of political analyst Mohamed al-Massari's comments made to Press TV on March 5.

Al-Massari: Yesterday in [the city of al-]Qatif and so on, they cracked down [on protests]. They detained twenty persons. They made a stupid mistake by attacking women and so on because they think Shia women do not have correct private protection and the honor protection like the rest of the women in the country. But attacking women in Saudi Arabia, in an Arabian Islamic society is very severe, very negative very catastrophic. It was limited but this will have bad repercussions.

The hope is that on the 11th of March, that will have thousands instead of hundreds. That's big enough. We don't expect a hundred thousand at this stage. If that's a hundred that's no problem. And the regime will have to recalculate, if they use force there would be counterforce...

We still have people who are willing to defend their honor with arms. I know a friend of mine from the north who was checked by the police. He refused that and used his machine gun. He got killed. He got murdered but he did not accept that police check his car and check his woman. He refused that.

This threat against dignity and dignity of women is still there. So they have to stop there. And that will mount against them until they collapse Inshallah (God Willing).

Iran doing everything they can to stir up trouble in Saudi Arabia, giving voice to dissenters in Saudi Arabia... this should be interesting.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be nice if the Saudis stir some sh%t back to Iran? Iran's illegitimate regime, being Shias had always hated the more moderate Sunnis the Saudis are.

Better yet, if both our brothers and sisters Saudis and Iranians masses turn up on the streets to protest against their regime at the same time.

The only thing I fear is that both the Saudi and Iranian dictators will only do a 'cockfight' - to show whom can kill the most protestors.

I believe that at the end of the day, lets avoid another bloodshed, for we are only humans. If the respective govs had claim that they will institute reforms, then at least give them 100 days to prove themselves, as they are all listening up now anyway, at least for SA though I cant say much for Iran.

And as for dissidents locked up or murdered, they must be immediately release and the justice served for the dead, failing which it will only stoke others to take to the streets, without a consideration for even 1 day. May SA, Iran and other dictators take note. At least the repressive regimes of Russia and China are listening good.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Wouldn't it be nice if the Saudis stir some sh%t back to Iran? Iran's illegitimate regime, being Shias had always hated the more moderate Sunnis the Saudis are.

SAY WHAT? The more moderate the Saudis are? I just cannot believe someone on ATS would say such an ignorant thing.

You do know that Saudi Arabia is run by Wahhabites Sunnis right? The most extremist sect of all islam?

Mujaheddin : Sunni.
Pakistan : Sunni.
Taliban : Sunni.
Al-CIAda : Sunni.
Muslim Brotherhood : Sunni.
Hamas : Sunni

Get the picture yet?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Never let a good crisis go to waste.
-Obama Administration

So gas gets to go up, Saudi gets to quell protesters, and Obama . . . . . . plays golf? Bad mouths Quadafi? Blames Bush?

When push comes to shove, Obama will show himself to be the paper tiger that he is.

Pathetic.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Ok, Vit. I will back off so as not to derail the thread.

I am not here to discuss the merits of Sunni, regarded as the orthodox religion of Islam, the largest numbers of the followers in the world, or Shia Islam which believes as the Christians do in popes and the heirachial mess our civilisations had gotten into.

I respect each others faith, for within each faith do have majority of muslims whom are moderate, just as there are extremists minority in both camps. Similarly with most religions anyway.

Fortunately, the muslims in both Iran and S. Arabia are not calling for theocracy, but democracy and reforms. As to how they can aheive that, it is entirely up to them as an entire society, not something that I or anyone else outside those countries can determine for them, except to shed light and be better examples, not that I or anyone is, but an ideal all mankind can attempt to achieve, for we all have common aspirations.

My only hope is that there be no more bloodshed unnecessarily. Human lives are precious.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I wanted to give this a bump because 1) Obama IS out playing golf, and 2) this is going to be critical.
Do we apply the same standards here (Saudi) as anywhere else? Or do we sit back and cherry-pick what protesters we side with.
Frankly, I thought freedom was universal.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The US supported Mubarak. The US supported the Bahrain government. The US will support the al-Sauds. We only oppose our own boogeymen like Qadafi and Dinnerjacket.

Thing is, unlike Egypt or even Libya, the Saudis do not have the manpower that would be needed to quell a large scale uprising. Oh, they have the technology - We've sold lots of it to them. But the Saudis keep access to training very restricted. Their air force has more planes than men qualified to fly them, for instance. They do this because, simply, they fear coup attempts.

Seems the al-Sauds never really considered the possibility of a popular uprising.

We'll support them, until they lose, then we'll "urge both sides to practice restraint." Later we'll pretend we were with the Arabian people the whole time, gosh!

it's nonsense to blame Obama - Every US president or presidential candidate would respond the same way.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Saudis mobilise troops to quell revolt
www.independent.co.uk...

And this guy is getting ready

Wow.

What an evil system. I pray we never have this type of brutality here in the US. Our own police forces have become hardened and cruel, but we haven;t sunk to exhalting "head hunter executioners" as an honorable place in government..

new topics

top topics

join