It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Senate Passes Bill To Let State Nullify Federal Laws

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Arizona Senate Passes Bill To Let State Nullify Federal Laws

tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com

After being shot down earlier this week, the Arizona State Senate revived and successfully passed a bill that would create a mechanism for the state to nullify federal laws.

As TPM has reported, Senate Bill 1433 would create a 12-person "Joint Legislative Committee on Nullification of Federal Laws," which would "recommend, propose and call for a vote by simple majority to nullify in its entirety a specific federal law or regulation that is outside the scope of the powers delegated by the People to the federal government in the United States Constitution."
(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I can't believe this wasn't posted on ATS....

Still, EPIC. All states need to pass that to tell the feds to go play in the bushes.

The feds don't follow the constitution? NULLIFY their law. Simple as that.

They should do this on old laws the feds passed. After all, the feds have done this kind of thing for decades now.

The only duties of the federal government is defending the border, making treaties and regulating interstate commerce (which they are abusing the power of).

TENTH AMENDMENT! Thomas Jefferson was the man.

tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
amen Jefferson but Arizona must be on alert.i wont be surprised if there is Oklahoma type of attack and then more federalization

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Each day I respect more and more arizonians, we should move the capital to Arizona.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
49 states to go
then all 50 states can get rid of fluoride in ther water

wow clean water can u imagine??

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Its about freaking time

Stuff like this gives me hope

They better hope the Federal government doesnt go as far to enforce its "Freedom" on the states as it did in 1860

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the article is a little misleading. While the measure passed committee, it must still pass a full senate vote and then go on to the house for a vote. Still a long way away from "passing" into law . . . the article makes it sound like it is imminent. I guess that's why they call it the "Muckraker"?

Below is a snippet from our local rag outlining . . .
Correction to 1433 story

As an Arizonan, it's hard to tell if the Anti-Washington movement in this state is sincere . . . seems more like a set-up. However, it makes for good polarizing national news . . .

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Each day I respect more and more arizonians, we should move the capital to Arizona.

No need to pollute the air of Arizona. It's not fair for Arizonians. Lets try to contain the garbage in it's own district and spare the rest of us the misery.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm a big States' Rights fan, so I think that this is a good thing, but we've sadly put ourselves into the position where it probably won't matter, because the Federal government still has their "big stick" -- entitlements and Federal funds -- and states, localities and citizens have too much attachment (and need) for those funds to give them up.

Need an example? When I was younger, the drinking age in Minnesota was 19. In 1984, that changed to 21, as it did for every state in the country that had a lower drinking age. The federal government couldn't mandate it, because it would be a restraint of trade, so they passed a law (the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984) that said if a state didn't set the age limit to 21, they would lose some of their highway funding. South Dakota challenged that, but in South Dakota v. Dole, the Supreme Court held that the Federal government withholding funding due to a state's non-compliance with a Federal mandate was legal.

The 1974 Federally mandated 55 MPH speed limit is another example -- the feds can't impose a speed limit, but they'll take away a state's funding if they won't.

Assuming that this bill passes, and is upheld in the courts, I predict that the Federal government will react in a similar fashion to Arizona's claim that they're not honouring some law, and then it will be up to the state to decide if they can afford to stick to their guns.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I lend my support to all Arizonians who would tell the Feds they're fed up.

Even though this has not passed the whole process, it is a step in the right direction!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That's laughable.

I think I'm going to nullify all of Texas laws.
They no longer apply to me.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ironic, considering Arizona receives more money back from the federal government than they pay in. I can't help but think this is more grandstanding from a state that is always seeking more federal spending in their state.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wait a minute I thought that state already have the power to repeal federal laws as granted under their Republic rights under the state.

I am wrong on my assumptions?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
As a 20 year resident of the state of Arizona, I'm going to pick this apart. First the quote from Pearce:

If we don't take back our sovereign ability for the states to control the federal government, I guess we have no right to complain," he said, the Arizona Republic reports. "I guess 'Obamacare' is OK for you."

I have to say, his head is in the right place. He is one of the few people in charge who can actually see the forest through the trees.

Quote from TPM:

"Nullification laws go against the language of the Constitution, which is pretty clear on the subject:"

It is? Not according to this:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

According to this section of the U.S. constitution, the rights of individual states dictate how the U.S. constitution is to be written: with the rights of the states coming first. The problem is, is that it is written in such a way as to easily confuse the average reader. Thankfully Pearce is not your average reader.I'm not taking this out of context either. On the contrary, I'm putting it INTO context.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'll be back later tonight to snuff out all the flames I'm bound to get

2nd line
edit on 5-3-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well, I guess we should stop giving Arizona Federal money. They want to nullify federal laws and pass their own? Fine let them, In fact I wouldn't care if the United States kicked out AZ out of the Union. They then can create and live happily in the little police state that they so badly want.
edit on 3/5/2011 by muse7 because:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dyax-

I can I was stationed in Yokosuka Japan for 4 years and the tap water there and throughout the whole island of Honshu tasted like bottled water. It's the only country I've ever willingly drank tap water.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...ū

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
law will never pass. this would in effect have the Arizona legislature usurp the job of the SCOTUS it is their job to determine constitutionality of any given state or federal law. if it got lucky enough to be passed it would be shot down by the feds immediately.

however, GO ARIZONA!!!!

a better idea would be riots in favor of an article 5 convention in every state capitol in the nation. then fix what is broken...
edit on 5-3-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
That's laughable.

I think I'm going to nullify all of Texas laws.
They no longer apply to me.

That's not what the article or the bill says. Here, let me post it for you again:

"...nullify in its entirety a specific federal law or regulation that is outside the scope of the powers delegated by the People to the federal government in the United States Constitution."

In other words, nullify any law that is unconstitutional or outside the scope of the Constitution. No state, person, politician, officer of the law, has to obey any law from the United States government that is unconstitutional or outside of the scope of the Constitution, period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join