It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember that 20 years old in Mexico who became police chief?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
She lasted a little more than four months... and she isn't dead! Pretty good for Mexico.

Female police chief flees Mexico for U.S. after threats

A 20-year-old college student hired as police chief of a Mexican border town has left the job and fled to the United States after threats, an official said Friday.

Marisol Valles Garcia left the town of Praxedis G. Guerrero with her family, the El Diario newspaper cited Jorge Gonzalez Nicolas, an official investigating the threats, as saying.

Earlier a relative of hers had told AFP news service that she had "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them."

She "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum," the relative said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The earlier report :

Valles Garcia became police chief in Praxedis G. Guerrero — home to some 10,000 people — after two other job candidates dropped out following the killing of the mayor and his son.

Now widely known as "the bravest woman in Mexico," she was studying criminology in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico's most violent city, when she was appointed last October.

Good work girl!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
lol
looks like she ran for the hills
you gotta wonder why we (the US) havent sent military along time ago to here

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dyax-
lol
looks like she ran for the hills
you gotta wonder why we (the US) havent sent military along time ago to here

Why would they stop it or interfere? They make way too much off the "war on drugs" to do that.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Wouldn't people just complain they are war mongers if they do? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I really wonder what the local authorities were thinking!. Why appoint someone, not because they are female, but more to the point, without experience.

Threats in this area of Mexico, were inevitable. Did she not consider this, or was it a big adventure, that suddenly became all too real!

Don't get me wrong I don't want to see harm come to anyone, and the situation in the northern states in particular is completely out of control. and this action in the appointment of a student as police chief, although ending in the bets possible way, really could not have ended with any degree of success.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Easy way to solve this is to send Sly Stallone, Arnie, Jean Claude Van Dam, Jason Statham and of course Vinnie Jones..

Surely they could sort that town out........ I mean they do in the Hollywood Film world don't they ...:lol

PDUK

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This whole situation is very worrying to me,

Only recently in my city of Guadalajara, have we seen large number of out of state cars arriving, mainly from Sinaloa, but at the same time seen a downward turn in the security of the city.

Guadalajara is basically the last bastion of provincial security of major Mexican cities. However within the last 6 months Police levels have viseably increased, even troops paroling in Humvee are a regular site now.

A massive city of 10 million and growing, but also an extremely culturally wealthy, and indeed comparatively middle class dominated. Upwardly mobile, and high standards of education, services, and a thriving local business community.

Latest in the media is that GDL is starting to feel the squeeze from Michoacan, and northern states, as actions by the authorities are pushing the gangs towards Jalisco.

Just recently a public bus was hijacked on a brand new bridge built to link Tlacomulco and Guadalajara periferico. People were brought off at gun point, and the bus burnt with petrol bombs.

Again recently several tourists and locals injured in a "high end" night club attack, automatic weapons and grenades used.

The authorities say they are fight a growing wave of pressure that surrounds Jalisco and GDL, but currently it is "under control"

For how long. and if this city falls, just as Mexico City has, (not to the degree of Tamulipas, and Juarez, Tiajuana etc) then I fear it really will be the dawn of civil war in Mexico. I have heard rumours that this is actually very high in the concerns of the Mexican chat boards..

Watch this space

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I may be in the minority of Americans here... But I simply feel sick to my stomach that our "war on drugs" has placed Central and South America into such peril. I firmly believe that the pusher man IS the US Government. I believe that WE finance the narcotics traffic and that WE profit.

When I say "we", of course I do not mean "the average US citizen". I think that the profits fall into the same "black hole" that much of our tax dollars fall into. But seized property and black ops profits - well one doesn't even have to cook those books if nobody is even writing in them at all...

The whole thing is a facade for black funds generation and the human price it is taking is reprehensible.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I am actually quite suprised that this thread has not been invaded by people foaming at the mouth about how useless and dirty mexicans are, and that he woman did this on purpose just to "illegally go to the US, and rob benefits and run drugs etc!

all I can say. well done ATS!

or is it too early in the morning there yet?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

According to this article, she has just been fired:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Exactly. It's not just thugs and lowlives who have their hands in the global-drug cookie jar. Look at the billions the opium trade creates coming out of Afghanistan every single year.

I admire this girl's spirit, but she clearly had no idea what she was getting into.

new topics

top topics

join