It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese government scared as hell, crackdown intensifies, protests planned for March 6

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
China dictators are really scared of reporters and what's happening in the middle-east. There were protests in over a hundred cities last week...so they don't want this to continue with even more people and even more cities.

BBC reporter in China set upon by thugs

The Chinese government has been rounding up dozens of human rights defenders, lawyers and others and has banned foreign journalists from filming in parts of the capital Beijing.

It follows anonymous calls on the internet for Middle East-style democratic protests in China.

With the country's annual People's Congress due to begin on Saturday, the ruling Communist Party appears to have real concerns about the possibility of unrest.

China government knows what it faces so...
China internal security spending jumps past army budget

The 13.8 percent jump in China's planned budget for police, state security, armed civil militia, courts and jails was unveiled at the start of the annual parliamentary session, and brought planned spending on law and order items to 624.4 billion yuan ($95.0 billion).

That means more thugs, more police state, more checkpoints...

And the rule of law is going down in China ...
Is China Giving Up on Western Rule of Law?

As Chinese authorities continue to round up lawyers, activists, and others suspected of being sympathetic to mounting calls for more rapid reform, I’ve noticed a number of recent comments that China has not simply slowed down the process of opening up, but has, in fact, mothballed previous attempts to improve Chinese courts as a site of conflict-resolution—a “post-Lehman drift away from western ideas of rule of law,” as the Financial Times put it last week. “Legal experts say there is renewed support for civil cases to go to mediation, a process conducted by a Communist party official, rather than to court—party wisdom trumping the law.”

This definitely surprised me: my rough sense has been that legal reforms were inching a.—however slowly—but when I turned to a couple of Beijing-based lawyers who work closely with Chinese officials and track trends in legal practices, they confirmed that, indeed, recent years have seen Chinese courts move in some discouraging directions.

“There has definitely been a significant push over the last several years to promote the use of mediation to resolve civil disputes—at multiple levels of the dispute-resolution process,” one lawyer (no names, because of the political sensitivity of the issue) told me.

Power Junkies Promise To Share

Pro-reform demonstrations were held in over a hundred Chinese cities. The government was ready to crack down on some of them, especially in the larger cities. But the sheer number of cities that unexpectedly sprouted demonstrations caught officials by surprise. The national government quickly promised more reforms and cleaner government. Unimpressed, reform minded Chinese called for another round of demonstrations on March 6th. In addition to much less government corruption, reformers want free politics (more than one party, the Communist Party, allowed to operate) and laws that curb the excesses of large companies, and bad business and government practices in general.

So more protests TOMORROW IN CHINA!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well,if we learned one thing in the last few Weeks,Revolutions always start small...though if we look at the Population of China, that could mean a few Million People...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well its about time. Furthermore, punishment is due to those who were traitors to their own countries and capitalized perpendicular to every Human Right Statute ever created in the free world. Selling out their own
countrymen for the profit of a Self . They have traded their Self for an infernal eternity, and their generations
to ruin.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The real fireworks will fly on march 11 where a protest is planned in saudi arabia.Oil will explode to $200 a barrel and we will go back to depression.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see if the media becomes defiant and goes against China's wishes. They have been threatened with "punishment", which in China can mean any host of things, but I take it that it is more serious than a slap on the wrist.

It seems that no protests took place, even though lots of people showed up to witness it. I get the strange feeling this is a "calling out" type thing, to see who stands where on this particular topic, and ultimately, to detain and "punish" those citizens with the nads to actually show up to protest.

China warns foreign media not to cover protests

By ALEXA OLESEN
Associated Press
Mar 3, 7:48 AM EST

BEIJING (AP) -- Chinese police are further intensifying pressure on foreign reporters, warning them to stay away from spots designated for Middle East-inspired protests and threatening them with expulsion or a revoking of their credentials.

The warnings show how unnerved the authorities are by the online calls for protests every Sunday. The appeals, which started two weeks ago, have attracted few outright demonstrators but many onlookers, loads of journalists and swarms of police.

Staff from The Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and numerous other overseas news organizations were called in for videotaped meetings with Beijing police Wednesday and Thursday and told that reporters trying to film or interview near the proposed demonstration spots in Beijing or Shanghai this weekend would be punished.

(snip)

The furor surrounds a news event that apparently never transpired. No large protests seem to have erupted at the designated demonstration spots, though at least one activist was detained for being present at one of them.

(snip)

The situation evolved out of online posts of unknown origin that first circulated on an overseas Chinese news website nearly two weeks ago, calling for Chinese to gather peacefully at sites every Sunday in a show of people power meant to promote fairness and democracy. A renewed call this week expanded the target cities to 35 from 27. China's extensive Internet filtering and monitoring mean most Chinese are unaware of the appeals.

I find this of particular interest, especially with ths suspicions of the US being behind the uprisings in the Middle East. To me, it continues to fall under a deep cloud of suspicion that this is being manufactured, and under that guise, for a load of differing reasons.

Interestingly enough, just a week before this article was printed, the one below came out:

US voices concern to China over media crackdown
Feb 28 07:13 PM US/Eastern

The US ambassador to Beijing, Jon Huntsman, voiced "deep concerns" to the Chinese authorities over a harsh crackdown on foreign journalists, a US official said Monday.

(snip)

Huntsman met with several American and other China-based foreign journalists who "had their equipment seized, were illegally detained, harassed, and at least in one case, severely beaten," he said.

The US embassy in Beijing said it was aware of reports that foreign reporters had been "detained or physically harassed" and called on China to ensure their rights, as well as to respect the public's right to freedom of expression.

(snip)

The Bloomberg journalist was repeatedly punched and kicked by a group of at least five men in plainclothes -- apparently security personnel -- who also took his video camera and detained him in a nearby store, the news agency said.

I don't know about you, but I would not be brave enough to step into the "designated area" with all of the police, both plain clothes - and not - awaiting my/our arrival.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Good luck China.. I seriously fear the Chinese Government will be giving the World a front row demonstration on how to keep citizens in line.

Though, to be fair to China, I found it disgustingly ironic of the US, UK and France to criticize ANYONE save for Libya, for how they dealt with protest. Just look at the French protest, the UK protest, the G8 protest, etc, etc, etc .. what happens? American, French, British or what have you, all acted the same. Herded the protesters, peaceful or not, and beat the effing snot out of them, gassed them, beat them in the face with shields, shot with rubber bullets, and on more than one occasion killed someone.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
China is a sleeping dragon lying in wait.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Went to Xidan today. First police officer told me no problem as long as i wasn't reporting. The second one suggested I leave.

Plainclothes security who followed all the back to the metro station waved off a third set of officers, said we'd already been taken care of

At Xidan, rows of police and plainclothes on street, in mall, everywhere.

During past 2 days have been told by a police officer that it was OK to be somewhere, and then told by another officer/security to leave

Lots of security in downtown Beijing today with NPC ongoing and third week of protest calls. Many obvious plainclothes police...

China paper blasts Middle East protest movements

An official Communist Party-run Chinese newspaper is attacking protest movements in the Middle East and dismissing the possibility of something similar happening within China.

The Beijing Daily published by the city’s party committee says such movements have brought nothing but chaos and misery to their countries’ citizens and are being engineered by a small number of people using the Internet to organize illegal meetings.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well there was an attempted revolution and ovethrow of the communist govt there in 1989. Remember Tiananmen Square. Remember the thousands that died fighting for freedom. Remember the brutality of the regieme in crushing the protesters quite literally with tanks. Remember the protester who defianently stood in front of a column of tanks before he was snatched away by a fellow protester. I remember all of this very well and thought this is it. But it was not meant to be. When the protests was so cruelly crushed all the world could do was scream and shout but then looked the other way as if it never happened.
When i saw China voting in favour of sanctions against Libya my stomach churned. What right had the Chinese to criticise the regime when China herself brutally repressed their own people? I fear any new uprising in China will only end up being another bloodbath and lives being lost in vain.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallblockchevy
China is a sleeping dragon lying in wait.

The dragon has been awake for years. It is in the process of devouring the world.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
wow add this to the unstable world economy and the planned riots in saudi arabia. things are heating up!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well at lest China is open about what it does and where you stand.
not like america. they do it in secret.
but it will fail in the end.
Russia try’d it and fail’d.
and they where more brutal than China.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join