It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time relative or absolute?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
How do you approach such a question?

Here is my view:
Time is always in motion. We all know time is the fourth dimension.
However, I believe that (at least for humans) we can only move one direction in the dimension of time, therefore we are not fully capable of exploring the fourth dimension as we are always moving forwards in time towards the future.

Another issue:
Does time truly stop at the speed of light?
I would say know, time is absolute. It is not relative because if it were relative, it would not be a constant therefore time could stop at any moment.

Thoughts?
- Tass

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Or... here's one to twist your bonnet...
Time is stationary, and we are in motion.

Not sure about a "4th dimension" in the strict sense, I like to think of it more as a 4th axis on which we measure its influence on objects.

Time does indeed stop for a theoretical object traveling at c, slowing down as c is approached. So this supports time being relative.

Or... perhaps Einstein said it best, "Time was invented so that everything wouldn't happen at once."

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Time is relative. A clock on earth and a clock in space set to be in synch will be measurably out of sync within an hour. This is because gravity, as well as speed, distort time. Done and done, and I mean done. It is relative.

Relative doesn't mean 'COULD STOP NOW!' - it means different from every separate perspective, and not bound to identicality. Time flows differently for me as it does you. The best way to put it was actually said by Einstein.

"An hour with a beautiful woman lasts an instant, an instant touching a hot iron lasts an hour; such is relativity.

Yep.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
As you travel faster, time slows down relative to things that are not travelling at your speed.

That's the excuse I use when people say I drive too fast..."Mate, I'm extending your life!"

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   

It depends.

E_T

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
Albert Einstein

About this slowing down of time in high speed, imagine you look second hand of clock while moving away from it at high speed. When you move farther it takes longer for light from clock's second hand to tell you that it has moved one second because light speed is limited and distance between you and clock grows.
That's how you would see events outside your "rocket".

top topics

join