It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science.com: China's 2 sun effect not fully explained by science

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Next time it's a clear day over here, i'm buying some #14 welder's goggles so i can look for myself at the midday sun. I haven't seen squat at sunset, and never up for sunrise.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, because we all know that Phage's opinion is the only one that matters, and his word is absolute and cannot be disputed.

You know how semi-attractive women will go to parties with ugly women to make themselves appear more desirable? In this case, the people screaming that this is Nibiru are the ugly women. When you've got countless new users screaming Nibiru and a popular user known by all offering a scientific explanation, it's no wonder.

poor phage. cant get a job with NASA so he works here on ats coz it the only place he can find someone to listen to his theories.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What would the Chinese do if they figured out we were using HAARP to effect their weather as a means of warfare against them?

Increasing Air density high in the atmosphere by pushing the atmosphere up in a bubble to slow down satellites.....

Would cause a mirage effect like that.

Time will tell if the Chinese figure out it was us playing God.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Many illusions are NOT fully understood. There is no complete reason why the moon and sun appear bigger at the horizon and appear smaller as they get higher in the sky.
I still find the double sun illusion interesting, and I was lucky enough to see it myself, in Missouri, last weekend.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Clear skies today in New Zealand. Been looking at the sun, Only one sun here.No sign of a extra planet.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. Never mind that science has no explanation.

Just another sun dog/lens flare/optical illusion/mirage/swamp gas/ice crystals.

Those darned Puerto Rico ice crystals.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

What I find purely facinating is that you can have scientists who actually make a living being....SCIENTISTS
that are actually baffled and admit that they CAN NOT explain something only to have
some Douche bag on an internet conspiracy forum offer his "Scientific Explination"
and it somehow carries MORE weight than the ACTUAL scientists!!!

WTF???

ATS has so many easily influenced people on BOTH sides it just makes my stomache turn.

How some Douche Bag can link to an article and become an instantly credible and unquestioned source who is actually called for whenever ANYTHING is presented that can't be readily explained is beyond me.

Hello????

THESE are actually scientists people!!!
They are trying to tell you that they cannot explain something which is pretty rare itself.
You should email them and tell them that there is a DB on ATS who already has it figured out, and to go
back to whatever they were doing.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I think someones mad they flunked outta biology 101. You left out the word "fully"; they can't FULLY explain it. MANY scientific things can't be fully explained, fundamental things like gravity can't even be fully explained, neither can evolution. They both are true though.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
reply to post by Screwed

I think someones mad they flunked outta biology 101. You left out the word "fully"; they can't FULLY explain it. MANY scientific things can't be fully explained, fundamental things like gravity can't even be fully explained, neither can evolution. They both are true though.

Although i disagree with his tone, i think he was trying to say that some ATS'ers view their own opinions as more important than people credible in their own field.

I think that they can think of their opinions however they want, but the end truth is that other people will seek those more credible for the valid opinions. So i guess what im trying to say is, let bygones be bygones.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
If it was another solar body, you can bet it would get more exposure than just a crappy Chinese video...lol

Two Suns Effect Simply a Mirage - Metrolic

Jim Kaler, an astronomer at the University of Illinois who is very interested in the sun, and who has written numerous books about it, said that the second sun which appeared over China is actually an effect of optical refraction. He states that the video was not altered, and that the reason why the second sun appeared is simply because of the atmosphere which refracted the light in a peculiar manner.

edit on 6-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: fixed news link

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Thanks for the link to my thread, but "Two Suns Effect Simply a Mirage" wasn't exactly the title.

The actual title is China's 'Two Suns' Video Unexplained By Science. It wasn't even "Not Fully Explained..." like the title of this thread states. Unexplained.

And even though you excerpted a quote from one astronomer that promotes your belief, you neglected to include his qualifier, "This typically happens near the horizon, where air is thicker though, and mirages are usually aligned vertically above or below the original source of the light – not beside it, like in the video."

You also misrepresented the gist of the article, which wasn't nearly as definitive:

Life's Little Mysteries consulted several atmospheric optics experts. None of them had ever seen anything quite like the effect shown in the video.

"This is not a common optical phenomenon that we're seeing here," said Grant Perry, an atmospheric scientist at the University of Wisconsin Cooperative Institute for Satellite and Meteorological Studies. "I'm asking myself if this is an artifact of the lens, but if that were the case – if it's reflections of the lens elements – then the images would move in relation to each other as the camera moves," Perry said. "But that doesn't happen."

and

Several related atmospheric optical effects are fully explained by science. Sun dogs, sunset mirages, sun pillars and sun halos are all relatively common and well understood. But not this effect.

Amazing how people are willing to create their own antonym title and misrepresent an entire article just to satisfy their personal beliefs.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Oops, wrong URL link. "Two Suns Effect Simply a Mirage" was/is the exact title. The news article goes into much further detail than just that snippet. The link has been corrected.

As for two solar bodies...LOL, Gravity doesn't play games.

Two Suns Effect Simply a Mirage - Metrolic
edit on 6-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

I don't know of any types of mirage that would crate an image to the side of the actual object.

I still go with the lens reflection / flare.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
If it was another solar body, you can bet it would get more exposure than just a crappy Chinese video...lol

Exactly. The whole point is that no-one else saw it.

I still think the footage was taken through a window, explaining the refraction, but I suppose atmospheric refraction is possible - though I would have still thought that were that the case the illusion would have been visible more widely and not seen only by those who took the footage.

The one think we can know with absolute certainty is that it was an illusion and not another solar or other body.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Essan because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

Is this the 2 stars that was seen 7 days ago at 8oclock est in the usa,it freaked me out,i never in my life,i swear to the gods of life,ever in my life seen somthing like that before,it was very odd.is this that post,it says sun,i dontknow.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Reporting to this thread to say that everything is normal. I can see the sun, through some clouds, and I can see the outline of the sun perfectly. Guess what? There's nothing else there, just the sun, being all sunny. It didn't have a hat on, though.
edit on 6/3/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece

Originally posted by Essan
Any explanation has to include why hundreds of millions other people didn't see the same thing. It was only witnessed by one person (or group of persons) in one specific place.

Oh really?

How bizarre that numerous reports and videos of "twin suns" are pouring in from around the world, but the only video that's been officially acknowledged is the Chinese MSM news story.

Here are a few of the many other "twin sun" videos:

U.S:

edit on 3/5/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

I watched this video of the guy filming over the house and noticed about halfway through that the cloud band that crosses the top "sun" from top to bottom also crosses the bottom sun simultaneously. I'm leaning towards a reflection or weird atmospheric effect, but I wonder why people are just noticing this now? That is the real question bugging me. If this is actually typical atmospheric phenomena, then it would have been noticed and filmed before - no? Also, if in fact it is a real twin sun, then anyone anywhere could see it and its effects on our star would be enormous due to gravitational effects. I checked Friday morning at sunrise, and there was only one big star.

But, interesting thread OP and thanks for posting!

ET

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
2d reality is prime for hoaxamania.....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I don't get where Planet X comes into play here? How would Planet X resemble and exact copy of our sun? How would it appear out of nowhere suddenly? Wouldn't it appear as a little dot, or star, and grow larger and larger as it approached us? One disc looks like the sun, one looks like a fuzzy, slightly darker version of the sun. A hologram, and illusion a mirage. it definitely isn't the traditional sun dog image, but i don't think the people saying that are all that far off. it's an optical illusion involving the sun, same idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join