It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you see a homeless man/woman

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
From what i know the top 1% of North America makes more money than the lower 50% combined. That makes me sick. There will always be homeless people and poverty with greed and corruption until this world changes its screwed up just look at the people they idolize in our so called reality shows. They worship the Super Rich its conditioning us to accept this madness.

Lets watch the elite buy anything they want useless things while people starve everywhere and have a hard time getting by especially now adays......

Its time for a change watch Zeitgeist series on youtube all 3 videos thats what the world needs to strive for

edit on 5-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

I see that in the news paper all the people throwing money around like its nothing..while others are wondering were there next meal is comeing from and it is sad..believe me i don't worship the elite..thanks for your reply..

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Sugar cookie, I heart you! I have to say many times I have been afraid too. Self preservation and lack of trust for other humans mostly, I guess. Until I was an adult I never saw a homeless person. Unless you counted the many perverted uncles who tended to find their way to staying with my parents over the years. But never a real honest to goodness homeless person.
The first time I did see one I happened to be a struggling single parent who was not receiving assistance through the state and I felt like if I could hold down a job and keep a roof over my childrens heads then what the heck was this guy's problem! I felt very angry towards them for asking for my money. I figured they could go work a damn minimum wage job just like I was doing. Over the years I have to admit my attitude about street beggars have changed. Mostly because I am a little more informed and not as naive as I once was. Great post. You have some great topics.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christarella
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Sugar cookie, I heart you! I have to say many times I have been afraid too. Self preservation and lack of trust for other humans mostly, I guess. Until I was an adult I never saw a homeless person. Unless you counted the many perverted uncles who tended to find their way to staying with my parents over the years. But never a real honest to goodness homeless person.
The first time I did see one I happened to be a struggling single parent who was not receiving assistance through the state and I felt like if I could hold down a job and keep a roof over my childrens heads then what the heck was this guy's problem! I felt very angry towards them for asking for my money. I figured they could go work a damn minimum wage job just like I was doing. Over the years I have to admit my attitude about street beggars have changed. Mostly because I am a little more informed and not as naive as I once was. Great post. You have some great topics.

I was around the homeless when i was young my dad use to help out at the mission at Christmas and Thanksgiving and bring me along to help serve the food and i have to admit they scared me not all of them.. some i thought were very nice some were kinda cranky but they all thanked us for the dinner and left happy and full..
I think many feel that way why don't you get a job and some could in my opinion some there was no way mental illness and such things like that..I'm glad your attitude changed over the years but i understand the anger also.. I'm glad you like my topics i try to make threads everyone can join into thanks again!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Firstly I would like to add I'm quite sure the American "safety net" for people is different to Australia, but here, all you have to do is show that you're looking for work and they will feed clothe shelter and in general provide for you just for doing paperwork and showing genuine effort, even internet access is provided.

If you fail to get a job, they give you community work and you can "work for the doll" generally painting, cleaning or working with the salvation army and other numerous jobs.

One time i decided to keep centerlink paperwork a card and directions on me because I decided to actually help these people instead of giving them money, because at the time (I was young) I simply thought they did not know any better and genuinely needed help. After giving them the paperwork pen and everything they would have needed to join up, they essentially yelled at me in rage.

I have no sympathy for them because -here at least- they're there by choice. There was a study about a man going around Melbourne begging for money looking as pathetic as possible and he made $600 that 5 day week, that's more than some trades.

Now imagine if it was a young female or even a child doing the same thing?

I have no sympathy, or even tolerance for homeless people.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Alina because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alina
Firstly I would like to add I'm quite sure the American "safety net" for people is different to Australia, but here, all you have to do is show that you're looking for work and they will feed clothe shelter and in general provide for you just for doing paperwork and showing genuine effort, even internet access is provided.

If you fail to get a job, they give you community work and you can "work for the doll" generally painting, cleaning or working with the salvation army and other numerous jobs.

One time i decided to keep centerlink paperwork a card and directions on me because I decided to actually help these people instead of giving them money, because at the time (I was young) I simply thought they did not know any better and genuinely needed help. After giving them the paperwork pen and everything they would have needed to join up, they essentially yelled at me in rage.

I have no sympathy for them because -here at least- they're there by choice. There was a study about a man going around Melbourne begging for money looking as pathetic as possible and he made $600 that 5 day week, that's more than some trades.

Now imagine if it was a young female or even a child doing the same thing?

I have no sympathy, or even tolerance for homeless people.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Alina because: Spelling

Thanks for your reply..To be honest i don't know what the safety net consists of here in the USA ..But the one in Australia sounds like a good one to me..I'm going to have to look into what ours has to offer you got my curiosity up.. I'm sorry that you were treated that way and i can understand to a point not haveing sympathy or tolerance for homeless people..what a scam about that man going around Melbourne begging for money they should have arrested him ..but if a child came up to me needing money or food i could not ever turn my back to that i wouldn't be able to sleep at night...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Thanks for your reply..To be honest i don't know what the safety net consists of here in the USA ..But the one in Australia sounds like a good one to me..I'm going to have to look into what ours has to offer you got my curiosity up.. I'm sorry that you were treated that way and i can understand to a point not haveing sympathy or tolerance for homeless people..what a scam about that man going around Melbourne begging for money they should have arrested him ..but if a child came up to me needing money or food i could not ever turn my back to that i wouldn't be able to sleep at night...

It was a news reporter/journalist, it was being done on purpose which is why it was on TV.

If a child came up to me like that, I would probly take them to a police station if I was able, A child does not know any better.

I just think people often need to look at the issue more logically instead of emotionally, because there is a lot of things in this world that are aimed to play on our emotions and sympathy to take advantage of us.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alina

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

It was a news reporter/journalist, it was being done on purpose which is why it was on TV.

If a child came up to me like that, I would probly take them to a police station if I was able, A child does not know any better.

I just think people often need to look at the issue more logically instead of emotionally, because there is a lot of things in this world that are aimed to play on our emotions and sympathy to take advantage of us.

your probley right

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I personally find it best to offer them food rather than money. That way, I can be sure they're not taking away any of my hard earned cash to feed their alcohol and/or drug habit.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kinaro
I personally find it best to offer them food rather than money. That way, I can be sure they're not taking away any of my hard earned cash to feed their alcohol and/or drug habit.

I would rather give food also then money but often im not around anywere to get the food so i give them a few dollars

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I live in NYC and they are sometimes a fixture around here. I prefer to give food to money as, as someone stated, there are a lot of fakes out there.

One in particular hangs out outside of a subway station, using the same line, just about by rote to get cash. It's amazing and disheartening when you walk by everyday and the same lady is faking the same cry saying the same thing she did the previous day.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagmawMKII
I live in NYC and they are sometimes a fixture around here. I prefer to give food to money as, as someone stated, there are a lot of fakes out there.

One in particular hangs out outside of a subway station, using the same line, just about by rote to get cash. It's amazing and disheartening when you walk by everyday and the same lady is faking the same cry saying the same thing she did the previous day.

Ive not ran into that yet.. someone using the same line now that would make me upset, I would give nothing to that person and id probably say something..I can see were that would be disheartening

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Especially for the women, I have no doubt that rape and abuse has shaped them. I can still see her eyes. I thought she was going to bust out in tears, but she was so afraid that there was a price tag that came with the food I brought her. It got to me. I just backed away and never saw her again.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Especially for the women, I have no doubt that rape and abuse has shaped them. I can still see her eyes. I thought she was going to bust out in tears, but she was so afraid that there was a price tag that came with the food I brought her. It got to me. I just backed away and never saw her again.

The women must live in fear im sure plenty have been abused but you did the right thing and im sure she will rember your kindness..cookie

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join