It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

If you see a homeless man/woman

page: 2
3
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 


When I was in college, I noticed a homeless woman camping out in the basement stair well to our dorm. I told her to stay put and that I would bring some food. I cut class and went to the cafeteria and loaded a plate up. I brought it back and gave it to her. The only words she ever said were "thank you" which was enough. She acted like a feral cat acts when you try to approach it. Broke my heart. That was way back in the early 80's; haven't thought about that in years.

that's a compelling story and nice of you to bring her food who knows when she ate last..I have to wonder how many of the homeless are beat up or raped makes you wonder about her being hard to approach..very sad




posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I am unsure of what "situation" you are asking about, but in general, I look for honesty. I have many times in the past, told someone who is "spanging" (spare change), to honestly tell me what they will do with the couple bucks I will give them. I have been told, "buy a 40 ounce beer," and then gave him a couple bucks for a beer. That has happened more than once. If I think they are lying to me, I won't give anything.

On the other hand, I used to have a friend, whose girlfriend would stand on a particular exit ramp coming into the city, on a regular basis. It was common for her to get $100 within a couple hours. Yes, she was pretty, which definitely helped her in this situation. Anyways, the money was not for food. They did not need it. They had food stamps for buying food food. The money was only for recreational purposes.



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Will you assist them


How? Most of the homeless I've met in my life have wanted to avoid busy bodies unless they sought it out.


mock them


Why? Only a really low mentally and morally homeless person would do that.


just stare


No. But there are many who do, believing that they are better human beings...


or just keep walking?


Yep. I've given small change when I had it if I was asked, but having hung around the streets a lot when I was young, and knowing most of the homeless wanted to be left alone, keep walking seems the best answer.

They're not circus attractions, nor are they there for societies comic relief. They're not vending machines that you give money to and get a day full of chuff.. they're just people in a circumstance that can happen to anyone should fate call it...



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
In highschool years ago we would throw honeydew melon at them. Now I guess it depends. ALOT of fakes out there.


Wonderful. You're a champ. People in dire circumstances need more humiliation from scummy schoolkids, and the resulting adults who now have to make a decision if they warrant humiliation.

Your mother must be so proud...



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
 


She is. I did stupid things in highschool and college. I grew up. I guess you failed to see the years ago part.



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I am unsure of what "situation" you are asking about, but in general, I look for honesty. I have many times in the past, told someone who is "spanging" (spare change), to honestly tell me what they will do with the couple bucks I will give them. I have been told, "buy a 40 ounce beer," and then gave him a couple bucks for a beer. That has happened more than once. If I think they are lying to me, I won't give anything.

On the other hand, I used to have a friend, whose girlfriend would stand on a particular exit ramp coming into the city, on a regular basis. It was common for her to get $100 within a couple hours. Yes, she was pretty, which definitely helped her in this situation. Anyways, the money was not for food. They did not need it. They had food stamps for buying food food. The money was only for recreational purposes.


hiya BrokenCircles

It was a just in general question i wanted to start a thread that most could talk about and i wanted to see what there thoughts were..
I have given to the homeless a few tIimes a few bucks here and there but as i said alot of the men scare me.. alot were a bit pushy then i say i don't have it..
I figure if there honest about needing a few bucks sure give it to them i spend that on junk food..
That friend of yours girlfriend i have to say that's just wrong but I'm sure thats probably done alot



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Will you assist them


How? Most of the homeless I've met in my life have wanted to avoid busy bodies unless they sought it out.


mock them


Why? Only a really low mentally and morally homeless person would do that.


just stare


No. But there are many who do, believing that they are better human beings...


or just keep walking?


Yep. I've given small change when I had it if I was asked, but having hung around the streets a lot when I was young, and knowing most of the homeless wanted to be left alone, keep walking seems the best answer.

They're not circus attractions, nor are they there for societies comic relief. They're not vending machines that you give money to and get a day full of chuff.. they're just people in a circumstance that can happen to anyone should fate call it...



oh heavens i know this im not makeing fun of them at all its just a thread i started about the homeless



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles
 


Exactly I know in New Mexico it's so easy to get food stamps anyone can even if you have a job (so long as it's a low paying one) and the average for a single male/female is $200 a month. I have friends with kids that get upwards of $600 a month. So the only thing they need money for is drugs/booze and other recreational stuff. You can get a cheap hotel there for $200 a week so a Mc Donalds wage will cover that. It's really all about how I feel do I need a good laugh or am I fine with the music of my "bum guard"
Point is they will be fine most of the time in fact they have a whole community they are involved in finding places to sleep going out and scrapping metal and all sorts of things as well as where to get free food...



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
 



They're not circus attractions, nor are they there for societies comic relief. They're not vending machines that you give money to and get a day full of chuff.. they're just people in a circumstance that can happen to anyone should fate call it...


I don't bother them it's when they ask me...I don't go around asking if they want money they come ask for it fine all by themselves most have no shame at all I have even seen them get mad and cause a ruckus outside the bars at closing time being rude and pushy and getting mad when someone won't give em a smoke. We run dem fools off they give the nice ones a bad name!



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
reply to post by badw0lf
 


She is. I did stupid things in highschool and college. I grew up. I guess you failed to see the years ago part.



Now I guess it depends.


Oh I see the difference alright, NOW you have to guess if they warrant having stuff thrown at them or not.

As I said, good one champ.



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 


Ohh no, missed my point, I wasn't having a go at your post, just replying to each point...

I've seen these threads really go downhill with the "Who cares they're scum!" component of ATS...

No, certainly wasn't having a go mate!!



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
reply to post by badw0lf
 



They're not circus attractions, nor are they there for societies comic relief. They're not vending machines that you give money to and get a day full of chuff.. they're just people in a circumstance that can happen to anyone should fate call it...


I don't bother them it's when they ask me...I don't go around asking if they want money they come ask for it fine all by themselves most have no shame at all I have even seen them get mad and cause a ruckus outside the bars at closing time being rude and pushy and getting mad when someone won't give em a smoke. We run dem fools off they give the nice ones a bad name!


I doubt they're homeless if they can afford to sit in a bar till closing time.

Are we talking about the people who have to sleep in parks, or if they're lucky enough, in a tent somewhere, who rely on soup trucks at 6am and go to certain places on certain days to get a bowl of soup?

Or just people who drink too much and smell bad?



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
 


Your taking my reply wrong. "Now I guess it depends" goes with the second part of the post that you left out. As in now I guess it depends whether I would give them money or not. It was answering the OPs question, sorry if it ruffled your feathers champ.
edit on 5-3-2011 by LoverBoy because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 


Ohh no, missed my point, I wasn't having a go at your post, just replying to each point...

I've seen these threads really go downhill with the "Who cares they're scum!" component of ATS...

No, certainly wasn't having a go mate!!




oh ok i was hopeing you weren't my frist thought was this guy is going to ruin this thead..anyone that doesn't care about these poor people don't have a heart..



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
 


No they sit outside the bar not in it...cause that's where you can spange off a lot of people at one time from 11pm-2am not too much else drawing a crowd.

EDIT TO ADD: and they sleep anywhere they can I have seen some ingenious places including my friends basement till he figured that out...and that was with people in the house. Amazing eh? Those guys are really good at being homeless out there I tell ya!
edit on 5-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Text
I never have any money to give. Once i was downtown waiting at a bus stop for a lonnng time. while i waited i was munchenn on a big bag of combos, and drinking a fresh pepsi. so, im standing there, and i notice the homeless guy, with a sign..need $4 food...So ..i walked over to him, and gave him half the bag. he acked confused, and shoved them into his pocket.
Another time a friend and i were in a different part of the city waitng for the bus, under the little shelter.. It was extreamly cold, if i had to guess id say 5 degress. their were quite a few people in hudled up trying to stay out of the wind. Over walks a homeless man. He did'nt look good. his neck was all swelled out and he was'nt looking very healthy. his coat was next to nothing and tattered. then i noticed his feet. This poor guy was wearing shoes that were waaay too small for his feet. Like kids shoes His unsocked heels were red and black, and sticking way out of the shoe. we stood there for a long time. all of the other people caught their buses. So I had been thinking about it. I probably didnt have any money, and i wanted to help him. I was so just outraged over his feet. So I nonchalanly took off my shoes, and my socks. I remember really not wanting to part with the socks. It was soooo cold, and i happeded to love that particular pair of socks. But i said, F it. I have tons of socks.
so i walk over to him and say something like "here take.." and he inturups me and yells "I Dont want it, and don't try and ask me again!!" so i go "ok"..at that moment, our bus was pulling up. The frozen man was going to be all alone in the bus shelter. So as we're heading out i say to my friend real loud" Hey shan, i'm just gonna leave these socks right here on the bench, I dont want them" And we got on the bus.

I tryed to look out the bus window to see if he took them, but i could'nt tell.

BTW this is my first post. Hello. Sorry about my poor typing skills. I know im supose to capitlize stuff, and use apostrophys and what not...but i ussualy don't and i spell alota sheet wrong too. Ususaly cause i don't know any better, sometimes on pourpus.



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Google Video Link


stabtheprincess.com

thanks to ryan i see homeless people with different eyes - they are the mirror of our broken, absurd society - we need to help them. addiciton is an illness what needs to be threatend and not put in jail what usually happens if your lifing on the streets with an addiction. but to be honest in my early age i laught, discriminated and somtimes harmed them...now i let them life and support cloth give-away and stuff...



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't know about everyone else, but it's fairly obvious to me when someone is completely full of sh&$.

When a street person comes up to you and has an excessively sorrowful, yet urgent look on their face; it typically means that they are sorrowful because they don't have drugs or alcohol, and it is very urgent that you give them whatever they can get out of you so that they can get some drugs or alcohol.

If someone wants food, they won't be hanging outside a place that sells booze or in a zone that is known for crack or opiate sales.

Those that are simply experiencing 'hard times' have the ability to get a fresh start if they aren't hopelessly stuck in the habit of screwing-over every single person that they ever met.

If a street person is pushy in the slightest, then they are a degenerate and don't deserve anything from you.

It is unfortunate that many of the people on the street are mentally-ill; but you are helping no one by supporting beggars. Naivete doesn't absolve you from enabling destructive behavior.

Those that want help will seek it out-- and there are lots of places that offer help to those that legitimately want it.

Best of luck to all on the streets! I hope one day we will all have what we need.


edit on 5-3-2011 by voiceoreason because: preposition.



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 


Last time I saw a homeless person, he asked for money.

Knowing him to be a drug addict and seeing him look emaciated, I bought him a hot dog and a lemonade instead of giving him cash.

The chap was so grateful he tried to give me some of the money he'd already collected

edit on 5/3/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If I had enough money, I would help them back on their feet.. of course with my supervision to make sure they stay the path.

But for now, I have to feel sad and keep walking...



new topics

top topics



 
3
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join