It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do America's police need an armored tank?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

I see well I guess I remembered it wrong. Are you sure that's what's mounted on all of em?

We have an M2 Browning .50 MG on one.

They show them off at the Mardi Gras parades here with deputies dressed in multicam ACU style uniforms.

I have no problem with the Sheriff Dept. having this. If anyone knows and understands the purpose and function of a sheriff department they shouldn't have a problem with it.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

how many gun owners are shooting at cops....of those shooting at cops how many would get a gun illegally this will be debated for a long time to come... I like this analogy:

I have a sign on my lawn that says, I could have stopped the brutal murder of my neighbor but he didnt believe in my right to own a GUN and wouldnt let me interfere with the course of his murder

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ever since the Hollywood CA Bank robbery incident, police departments have the idea of not just matching what they think they will encounter, but beating it by 10 fold.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

I see well I guess I remembered it wrong. Are you sure that's what's mounted on all of em?

2 of the 3 I saw at their academy.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
First of all the OP's thread title is misleading ... These are not tanks...they are APC's

Secondly...maybe it's because there expecting more of this to take place in the future:

In which case if I were trying to get control of that situation (from a police POV) I would want an APC also.

The unfortunate part is that many soldiers are coming home and not getting the treatment they deserve. They are basically abandoned by the very government they help ... So I'd say events like this are more probable now then ever.

However if this is going to be used in relation to everyday ordinary people (dispersing protests and what not) ... then I dunno ... if you want to go to war you can always take a lesson from the Iraqis and use IED's ... Lets hope we never EVER see that here.

Peace & Respect,

AS

PS: You beat me to it macman!

edit on 5-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: added + ps + structure

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Only in reference to the post I was replying to that characterized them as such. Thanks for the quality contribution to the thread.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

I agree. The title and content of the story are part of the fear tactic. Grab your attention and get you thinking; exaggerate the context and sensationalize the potential for conflict. I'm glad you brought that out.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just to add a little more to the question of why do they need tanks. Why do they need training from Black Water?

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Blackwater has an airstrip and hangar filled with helicopters, a manufacturing plant for assembling armored cars, a pound filled with bomb-sniffing dogs and a lake with mock ships for training sailors. An armory is stacked to the ceiling with rifles. Throughout the place are outdoor ranges where military, intelligence and law-enforcement authorities from across the country participate in target practice. An incessant pop, pop, pop fills the air.

"law-enforcement authorities from across the country participate"

"The idea we have a private army is ridiculous," he said. "This idea of a private mercenary army is nonsense. These guys have sworn the oath as military or law-enforcement persons. These are guys who served voluntarily. They are all Americans, working for Americans, protecting Americans."

"This idea of a private mercenary army is nonsense. These guys have sworn the oath as military or law-enforcement persons."

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Because as much as I am not a fan of Blackwater or other PMC's, Blackwater is a leader in training and real world experiance. Police getting direct training from the Military puts a bad taste in the mouth of most Americans and perhaps rightly so. Through Blackwater's expericance in the Middle East they have gained valuable intelligence in urban combat and IEDs, all things that an American Police force has to plan for and win if confronted with. As for the equipment used... you drive a "Yellow Cab" (AKA a Crown Vic) to the front door of a metally distrubed guy's house who just shot his wife with a rifle and tell me how much you like your chances. Me I would rather have the armored vehicle. Just saying... moving on.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So that enforcement can easily break into American compounds and homes(property) that are deemed homegrown terrorists operations.
edit on 4-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join