It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humor???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I was talking to a former Teamster board member yesterday (He's still a prominent member, I'm with the IAM now) and he said I had to see this movie. I told him I was already aware of how much lies and BS that was in it and that I really didn't want to waste money. He admitted it was mainly a bunch of crap (This coming from a die-hard Dem should ring some bells for some who think Moore is a prophet!), but that I would find the Bush-Saud connection well worth pondering, and that it was a funny movie, with the kind of humor I'm noted for. His one example was when Bush was being told of the plane crashes, and the speaker of the movie, as Bush seems to be thinking, saying, "Wonder what he's thinking about?

Is the movie really funny? That is to say, will I find enough humor between the "That's bull-crap!" fits to make it worth while? I really do enjoy humor.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Just go see it on some rainy night when you have nothing to do.

What are you afraid of? Getting brainwashed? Make up your own mind instead of believing the �its full of crap� side of the story without having even seen the movie. You can do that can�t you?

He told you what he thinks you wanted to hear because he did not want to offend you by disagreeing with your reasonning.

Just go see for yourself.

[edit on 7/18/2004 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
From the comments in your post that you just made it seems that you have not watched the movie yet but you make these statements:

I told him I was already aware of how much lies and BS that was in it and that I really didn't want to waste money. He admitted it was mainly a bunch of crap (This coming from a die-hard Dem should ring some bells for some who think Moore is a prophet!), but that I would find the Bush-Saud connection well worth pondering

I really don't care what your political affiliation is and my political leanings are not the subject, all I would advise is to watch the "mockumentary" with an open but critical mindset.

If you can put aside any emotions and political affiliations aside and watch the movie you will probably enjoy it and be shown something you most likely knew already.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thomas Crowne says

I told him I was already aware of how much lies and BS that was in it and that I really didn't want to waste money.

Since you haven't seen the movie, please explain to me how you can possibly be aware of how much lies and BS are in it? Because someone like Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh told you so? Because you looked at some "Michael Moore is a liar" websites?

If you are seriously interested in the factual accuracy of Fahrenheit 9/11, here are some good places to start.

Transcript of Fahrenheit 9/11, Part 1

Transcript of Fahrenheit 9/11, Part 2

Transcript of Fahrenheit 9/11, Part 3

There is no guarantee that this transcript is 100% accurate, but it is the best we have right now.

The big problem with Moore critics on ATS, "Michael Moore is a Liar" websites, and most criticism in the popular media, is that the Moore critics don't have the intellectual honesty to accurately quote what the movie actually says. The only credible criticism of Moore I am aware of is

Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 9/11

This lengthy article by Dave Kopel accurately quotes the movie, and provides extensive comments and sources documenting what Mr. Kopel claims are deceits in Fahrenheit 9/11.

Well, now Mr. Kopel has been debunked.

Debunking '59 Deceits in Fahrenheit 9/11'

This document is a series of diary entries on Daily Kos by Anton Sirius.

Finally, you should look at

Fahrenheit 9/11 Notes + Sources

This is a lengthy document from Michael Moore's website. He lists the major facts that have been questioned, and provides his sources.

Full of lies and BS? Hardly. As I said in my post Michael Moore Answers Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 9/11,

So you Moore critics need to face reality. While some of Moore's facts can be questioned and debated, he has reliable sources for most everything that has been seriously challenged. You cannot plausibly call him a liar when he has a reliable source to back him up, even if the fact ultimately proves to be false.

You can certainly argue that Moore uses editing, selective use of facts, and juxtaposition of facts to create false and misleading impressions. But please stop calling Michael Moore a liar, at least with respect to Fahrenheit 9/11. If you continue to brand Moore a liar, you are just showing that you have no respect for the truth yourself.

[edit on 7/18/2004 by donguillermo]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
LOL!!!

Gools, you do not know my friend, so don't bother trying to put words in his mouth. That might be your friends' M.O., but not mine.

Dong, I'm aware of his other works, both books and movies, and found them to be factual empty and intellectually dishonest; I needed no other person's opinion, especially O'Reilly, to sway me one way or another.

Thanks for the brilliant political observations and presumptions, but you all were perfectly uncanny at missing what I asked.

Thanks for the attempted help, anyway.

Disastro, I will probably wait until it comes out on video.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
TC, if you generally tend to think that Bush is a funny guy, the government is full of it and the Saudis are evil I think you'll find at least 50% of the film really, really funny. Even if the other half makes you mad.

The only thing about waiting for video is I have a feeling the clips of news broadcasts and nuances of government officials will have no impact on TV. That's how we're used to seeing them. Thinking now about Wolfowitz combing his hair.
Yea, it's funny.

You could probably catch a matinee now and be all alone if you're worried about the "choir" yanking your chain. But people around me laughing makes for a better experience for me.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I was talking to a former Teamster board member yesterday (He's still a prominent member, I'm with the IAM now) and he said I had to see this movie. I told him I was already aware of how much lies and BS that was in it and that I really didn't want to waste money. He admitted it was mainly a bunch of crap (This coming from a die-hard Dem should ring some bells for some who think Moore is a prophet!), but that I would find the Bush-Saud connection well worth pondering, and that it was a funny movie, with the kind of humor I'm noted for. His one example was when Bush was being told of the plane crashes, and the speaker of the movie, as Bush seems to be thinking, saying, "Wonder what he's thinking about?

Is the movie really funny? That is to say, will I find enough humor between the "That's bull-crap!" fits to make it worth while? I really do enjoy humor.

- well I think you've got to be going out of your way not to find this movie at all funny or a real republican party/Bush wonk.

Of course it's a humour steeped in the tragedy of what happened on 9-11 and has been happening since but when has that ever been a bar to comedy.....and since when was 9-11 Bush 'property' and unquestionable anyway?

MM's voice-over is hilarious (especially as Bush sat there with that gormless look on his face doing the 'my pet goat' thing.....a scene that will no doubt go down as one of those film clips that will just run and run for years).

You might not like the 'message' but since when did normal folks only bother with stuff they agreed with 100%......because it seems to me here so far away from the USA that that is the kind of insanity your O'reilly and Limbaugh types seem to advocate, unchallenged, as they rhyme on and on about freedom!?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

You won't find it funny, I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Thomas Crowne...

To answer your original question which I seem to have missed first time around, yes you will find some humor in the movie, the scene with John Ashcroft singing some awful song that he actually wrote is great as is a cutscene showing the Bush ranch with the music from Eric Clapton's song "Cocaine" There is plenty of humor in the movie but it is always offset the next minute by some horrifying war clip or a scene that gets a little too much into Moore's over the top commentary.

There is humor yes, depends on what your idea of humor is though. I would definitely recommend that you either see it at the theatre or rent it, It is one movie that any registered voter that owns a brain should see.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
The point of that movie was to get people into politics and how it plays a part in war. What TC will find funny is when Bush directly tells MM to get a real job. That cracked me up. FUNNY

American Protesters pelleting Bush's limo with eggs, as he was elected president.. FUNNY

African-Americans having no voice in congress.. FUNNY as it is a majority of African-Americans who are willing to pay the ultimate price for the USA.

Bush reading "My pet goat," to a bunch of kindergarteners, while the WTC were being bombed. After being notified by the SS and not doing anything. FUNNY, since MM was putting thoughts into his head as the tape was rolling

Bush admin blacking out the name JAMES BATH on a transcript, which gave
MM reason to believe Bush's connection to the Saudi's, the Carlyle group, and the bin ladens. Educational and Funny

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Ugh...

After reading a few of the arguements in other threads about the real purpose of this mockumentary I can only say this:

If this movie was a complete rip on a sitting Democratic president I would still have watched it, digested it and then contemplated what I had seen. If it was Bill Clinton and the song "me so horny" was played when the Lewinsky issue was bought up I still would have laughed. There is a reason for political satire, it is to laugh at the follies of the people that dictate public policy. I do beleive that in the history of the US that satire has always been an important part of political life. If you cannot laugh at your elected officials when they do the things that make you wonder what the hell they are thinking then who can you laugh at?

I do think that laughter that leads to critical thought is just as important as serious analysis of any situation, keep in mind that I am only referring to the segments of the film that are worthy of laughter, don't think that there are not parts of that film where I felt like shedding a tear, picking up a gun myself and enlisting, wondering what the elected officials are doing and marching on D.C. myself to protest.

The bottom line is that Micheal Moore has made a doc(mock?)umentary that shows every politician involved as worthy of criticism. Isn't our right to publically accuse our elected leaders of misconduct?

By the way the opening segment of the movie is all about Al Gore and I think that he comes off as the biggest clown in the entire film.*

*Edited because I used a bad word to describe Al Gore and changed it to clown, you want an idea of what I said then take the first name of ___ the ripper and then remove the letter B from bass...Got it?

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Disastro]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Yup, Rant, I think George comes across as a genuine dolt, and I do think the Saudi government is a pretty evil and corrupt bunch of spoiled trolls.

Sounds like its a must-see for me, then. Assuming it ever comes to South Alabama. I may have to wait for the video release. At least then, there'll be no loud mouths sitting behind me and people eating popcorn with their mouths open flanking me! Thanks for the head's up!

top topics

join