It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO, who watched, "M. Night Shyamalan" doc tonight

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is all promo for the village, he did this with signs but it was less obvious.

The studio hired crop circle makers to make crop circles just as the promotion for signs started.

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
In the end, I guess my skepticism was well-placed. I had forgotten about the crop circle marketing ploys. Thank you for mentioning them, Spiderj. Also, thanks to NightGloom for providing the news link and LadyV for providing information on sub-zero drowning survival.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It's coming on tonight AGAIN! at 11:00 PM est time

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   
What exactly was the Doc about? o.o Do u think they will like, re-show it? Cuz I didn't catch it. I thought it was just on the making of The Village. o.o

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Oh yeah.....it will show several more times I'm sure! I too had forgotten about the crop circle stuff before "signs" came out...

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I didn't even watch it since the ads looked so hokey. In the span of less than two years, Sci Fi has gone from actually playing a major role in paranormal/UFO research and government lobbying efforts to being AN ABSOLUTE JOKE and discrediting UFO study in general.

They had John Podesta and a real organization (I can't even find on their website now) lobbying the government for Freedom of Information at one time. Then they hired Bryant Gumble to make a spectacle and hype every little MIB re-enactment they could dig up to make a mockery of legitimate UFO research.

Their UFO "docs" went to hell over the past year, culminating in all hype, all the time...now with this piece of promotional crap over a movie forever ruining any hope of a credible mainstream movement.

I used to love Sci-Fi. It was a rally point for enthusiasts, but now it's just an embarrasment. Bah. They don't even know the damage they've done to themselves or their reputation or ALL OF US on ATS.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I've searched for the website that Kahn supposedly visited after that teenage kid with the Ouija board took him there. No luck. Anyone else find out if this is a real site?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hypothetical:

What if it was true, and to avoid law suites, invasion of privacy, they had to retract it and put out the, "no it's all a fake" reports?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I thought it was horrible. I hate fake shows that pretend to be real to build up hype. It reminded me to the fake Blair Witch documentary that came out before that movie. There were parts of Buried Secrets that were laughable. In the celebrity interviews it looked like the celebs were literally holding back from busting out laughing. I like Shyamalan's movies but I'm not sure why they felt like they needed to do this fake documentary and ruin their reputations. The Sci-Fi channel shouldn't have aired it either. Sci-Fi *supposedly* tries to uncover real paranormal phenomena and conspiracies in other shows like their UFO series, but they can't have it both ways. Sci-fi cannot say that some of their shows are real and honest but then throw in shows that are made to look real while being obvious fakes. That kills creditability. This show was a major disappointment for me on several levels and I don't think I will even see The Village now - looks like their stunt backfired.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well. I foumd a test site

www.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 7/19/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassie Clay
I think the "documentary" itself was fake, but real tidbits of Night's life were used. Night was obviously involved with the whole production. He gives several clues in the film that the documentary is fake:
1. In his first interview, he says something to the effect that the reason he likes to make movies is to "take people in" -- i.e., fool them.
2. The documentarian's name is "Kahn" as in "con" -- this is made more explicit by his chat room screen name, "Kahnman" -- conman.
3. One of his biggest film idols is Alfred Hitchcock, who also liked to blur the divide between reality and fantasy with hoaxes like this.
4. This "documentary" was made by USA cable, the same people who brought you the "Curse Of The Blair Witch" documentary.

I had the same sorts of feelings about it. Plus -- there's a little-known side of the copyright law that if you are essentially a private citizen and someone makes a documentary about your life that you do NOT authorize, you can sue the heck out of them.

So, he could file suit for damages and a lot of other things. I see no record that he's done this.

Actually, I am a bit annoyed by the "fake" documentary aspect as I really wanted to see a good ol' slice of "Hollyweird"...the show tries to honor people with supernatural beliefs at the end of the program by interviewing real people, but the whole thing comes across as having a measure of ridicule & contempt for those who do "believe." Not worth watching for an entire two hours. I was impressed that they got Johnny Depp & Deepak Chopra to interview, tho.

After awhile, the "whoa, this looks SO bogus!" got to me and I didn't finish watching it.

It was neat... but a bit TOO stagey.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I didn't even watch it since the ads looked so hokey. In the span of less than two years, Sci Fi has gone from actually playing a major role in paranormal/UFO research and government lobbying efforts to being AN ABSOLUTE JOKE and discrediting UFO study in general.
I used to love Sci-Fi. It was a rally point for enthusiasts, but now it's just an embarrasment. Bah. They don't even know the damage they've done to themselves or their reputation or ALL OF US on ATS.

I think that pretty well summed up my feelings. They're in it for entertainment and not for education.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I did not see the documentary, but wish he would learn how to properly make a scarey movie instead of comedies masquerading as scarey movies.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

2. The documentarian's name is "Kahn" as in "con" -- this is made more explicit by his chat room screen name, "Kahnman" -- conman

I do not think that is something you can make judgement on that the movie is fake. I know several people from Pakistan that have the last name Kahn or Khan....pronounced like con. One is my professor, yeah when i talk to him i say hey Mr Khan-man. Not saying the show the is real, I am just pointing out that the name does exist, and is quite common in other parts of the world.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The Sci Fi Channel admitted that it lied last month in claiming it was at odds with filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan and was making an unauthorized biography about his "buried secret."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I wish they had done something like this after he had written the screenplay for stuart little.

That would have been great! Instead of Adrian Brody sitting in a chair it could have been the little animated mouse with MJF's voice coming out saying "We all have secrets, life would be boring without secrets...Doc, Quick hook the power supply up to the clock tower i have to go Back to The Future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So, is there a real website that caters to the deep M. Night fan? If this film had any bit of authenticity to it, instead of a"Blair Witch" feel, then the website used by Kahn to ask questions would be real. So far, I have not found it.

Of note, the boards at SciFi are down for upgrades. Hmmmmmm. Me thinks that SciFi and 'Night' conspired together for a promotion of 'The Village'. Of course, this is way to simple of an explanation.......don't ya think?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You know this thing has made me so mad, it doesn't bother me one bit to link to THE SECRET OF THE VILLAGE: (WARNING: THIS WILL RUIN THE MOVIE FOR YOU)

So if anyone else wants to save $7.50 and send a message that this BS promotional scamtivity is unappreciated, feel free to learn about the stupidest "twist" from M. Night yet without spending a dime.

But if you don't want the movie ruined; DON'T CLICK THE LINK.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Co-Conspirator calls Promotional Scam "AWESOME"
...Begs forgiveness for Sci-Fi's hoax...

Shyamalan Talks Buried Secret

Director M. Night Shyamalan told SCI FI Wire that he admires SCI FI Channel for the controversial way it promoted the original special The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan. "Those guys are awesome," Shyamalan said in an interview while promoting his upcoming film The Village. "Those guys are awesome at SCI FI Channel. They're really kind of ballsy, creative people. I really dig them."

SCI FI admitted on July 16 that it created a story that was part fact and part fiction as a way to publicize the documentary, which premiered July 18, and that it did not have a falling out with the director, as previously reported in the media and on SCI FI Wire (June 16, July 7 and July 8).

Shyamalan said SCI FI should be forgiven for the hoax. "If they erred, they did it out of enthusiasm for the project," he said. "But they're really cool people. You know how, in basketball, there are those 'hustle errors.' The coach always loves that. It's cool."

www.scifi.com.../20/10.15.sfc

You better cry forgiveness Shyamalan. I just e-mailed 10 Republicans I know on AOL the plot to The Village. You know how they love chain mail. It's over punk.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Weird...
While i was writing a reply for some other thread, i flipped it to SciFi to wait for 'Scare Tactics"...and thats when i saw the last 10 minutes of that show..it looked real and at the end he was like "You know people wont believe you when you show this...", thats what made me think he was sincere but i guess everyone says its fake lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join