It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO, who watched, "M. Night Shyamalan" doc tonight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I wathced it...very strange indeed. I' m not sure what to think!

EDITED cause I can't type with these damn nails!

[edit on 7/18/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yep; it just finished. I thought it was neat, not sure if it was true or not; but it was very neat, none-the-less.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
oh, that was tonight? I wanted to watch it...
I've been watching the news all evening.
LadyV, culd you provide a brief summary, anything which stood out to you...
It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
- Tass

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Will they repeat it. I didn't know if it was true or not. I missed it. What was it about?

-BTW-
The Villiage opens on July 30

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Oh my! If only I could!! I have been trying to figure a way to tell my DH. He has a TBI and is not always in the right mind set for many of lifes daily things....it truely was extremely odd and if not a fake.....we have some real proof here! ANyone else better at re-telling something than I....plaese do!

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I saw it too, very strange. i'm not sure if it was real or not but it was about how the subjects or events in his movies actually happened or is happening to him in his life. if it was real, they really POed Night about prying into his life.

expanding on that, they went to a house that Night supposedly lived in for 2 years and looked a lot like the farm house in Signs. anyway, they went into an upstairs part of the house, open a door there and a crow flew out. just as they were opening the door, you could see a reflection of a kid in a mirror that was in the room, who was unseen at the time. they only found this out when editing. Night supposedly drew a picture of this kid and talked to him.

[edit on 7/18/2004 by Sandro]

[edit on 7/18/2004 by Sandro]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
No...the picture of the reflection in the mirror, was of the boy who had drowned in the same pond, there on the property as Night, in the 1800s. The picture he drew as a boy, was one of those that had also died in that pond years earlier that Night saw while he was under water and dead for 35 minutes.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
oh yeah, forgot about that part, thanks

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
From the Sci Fi channel
Featuring Unfettered Access to
the Filmmaker's Private Life

In an unprecedented move, SCI FI Channel will broadcast a controversial look at Academy Award-nominated writer/director M. Night Shyamalan entitled The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan on Sunday, July 18, at 8PM ET/PT. Sanctioned in October 2003 by the reclusive filmmaker, this three-hour project was helmed by Academy Award-nominated director Nathaniel Kahn (My Architect) and producer Callum Greene (Lost in Translation, 3AM) exclusively for SCI FI Channel.

www.scifi.com...

SCI FI spent over four months trailing the famously enigmatic Shyamalan, who granted the channel exclusive access to his intensely guarded personal lifestyle, as well as his filmmaking process (on the set of The Village). What SCI FI viewers will see on July 18 is a revealing look that lays bare the external forces which have helped shape Shyamalan's vision. Viewers will witness extraordinary unguarded moments, as well as attempts by the acclaimed filmmaker to shut down the production.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think the "documentary" itself was fake, but real tidbits of Night's life were used. Night was obviously involved with the whole production. He gives several clues in the film that the documentary is fake:
1. In his first interview, he says something to the effect that the reason he likes to make movies is to "take people in" -- i.e., fool them.
2. The documentarian's name is "Kahn" as in "con" -- this is made more explicit by his chat room screen name, "Kahnman" -- conman.
3. One of his biggest film idols is Alfred Hitchcock, who also liked to blur the divide between reality and fantasy with hoaxes like this.
4. This "documentary" was made by USA cable, the same people who brought you the "Curse Of The Blair Witch" documentary.

That being said, I was still taken in by the film up to the point where "Kahnman" was used, and the first "audio malfunction" & the oujia board scene seem really real & freaked me out.

Actually, I am a bit annoyed by the "fake" documentary aspect as I really wanted to see a good ol' slice of "Hollyweird"...the show tries to honor people with supernatural beliefs at the end of the program by interviewing real people, but the whole thing comes across as having a measure of ridicule & contempt for those who do "believe." Not worth watching for an entire two hours. I was impressed that they got Johnny Depp & Deepak Chopra to interview, tho.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I dunno......I think your right on some of this...but I have this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach I don't get often and I have learned in my 50 years to trust my gut more than any visual, written or spoken anything.....something here is telling, perhaps not completley...I'm sure over the next few days we will hear tons of stuff from his family members, friends, that will either be, "that never happened to him" or, yes, that did happen to him"........or "film exposed as a fake, or something similar.....I'd like to watch it again and since it's on Sci Fi...I'm sure it will be on several more times!

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The film did leave a few stones unturned, so-to-speak. For example, why would Mr. Shyamalan draw a picture of and speak to a boy named "Henry" when the 1836 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that date) news article with a matching drawing stated the boy's name as "Joseph"? Were there other drownings at this pond with similarly clothed and disfigured male children being claimed as victims? Is "Henry" the middle name of "Joseph"?

Also, the medical professional interviewed was not very specific on the amount of time a person can be clinically dead in freezing waters waiting for rescue. Thirty-five minutes, even in sub-zero waters, seems by common sense to be far too long for a successful resuscitation.

Several things like what I mentioned in the previous paragraph stood out to me as being somewhat stretched if not altogether fake. Also, did anyone notice that although Mr. Shyamalan was greatly displeased by Mr. Khan's questioning "The Village" remained as a sponsor of the film? That seemed odd to me.

I would appreciate any video analyst verifying (as well as can be done without original film) the authenticity of the image in the mirror as well as verifying the streak of light in the Polaroid photograph is not an exact duplicate of the streak seen in "The Sixth Sense".

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcook32p
Also, did anyone notice that although Mr. Shyamalan was greatly displeased by Mr. Khan's questioning "The Village" remained as a sponsor of the film? That seemed odd to me.

Odd? It was a three-hour promotional piece to increase buzz for the movie! Of course the movie will remain the sponsor!

It was fiction.

A TV Show.

Fake.

Not real!

dp

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest, but I do know that you can indeed survive quite a while in frozen water if you are drowing, or brought back if you have drowned in frozen water...I'm trying to find confirmation on this, but I may have to tomorrow cause I am getting way tired

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Here's a link...but not really what I was searching for..
www.hhp.ufl.edu...

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The amount of the documentary about the documentor was also questionable... his little trail of wild theories.. filming themselves etc. Expecialy the end where he goes on this desprit hunt on the last night of shooting to get peoples opinionms on the paranormal.

Also id Night was so CAREFUL about having all kinds of non discloser agreements and preset quotes.. why wasn't he as careful when he agreed to the documentary.. if he were he would have won in court and they never would have been allowed to air it.

Seems to me they just got a really good group of method actors.. and tried to pull the wool over everyones eyes.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Nope, didn't watch it. I just didn't really like the way Sci Fi handled the whole thing. Like they were trying to make it sound so real and everything and then like 2 days before it airs they say it's all a sham. At least they could say at the end of the movie for the people who didn't notice it was a 3 hour promotion for M. Night's new movie that it was a fake.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You may all be right but...

The last part about him getting opinions, was in response to Night leaving the message that everyone will think it is fake and no one will pay any attention to him....it was to show, or supposedly to show, Night that yes, people would watch and listen

and then like 2 days before it airs they say it's all a sham

Where is that? I haven't seen or heard of it...

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
You may all be right but...

The last part about him getting opinions, was in response to Night leaving the message that everyone will think it is fake and no one will pay any attention to him....it was to show, or supposedly to show, Night that yes, people would watch and listen

and then like 2 days before it airs they say it's all a sham

Where is that? I haven't seen or heard of it...

Someone posted a link on another forum I belong to, I'll try to find the link...

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Found it...

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/tv_b uried_secret

The Sci Fi Channel admitted that it lied last month in claiming it was at odds with filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan and was making an unauthorized biography about his "buried secret."

The hoax was part of a "guerilla marketing campaign" that went too far, network president Bonnie Hammer said Friday.

In the end, just blame it on NBC Universal...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join