It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why do people in America think they are better than everyone else!?
Because their school teachers, politicians, and anyone in a position of power and influence tells them that they are better than everyone else! Its like what the American comedian, Lewis Black says after he returned to the States from abroad...
"America is the only country anywhere in the world who tells the rest of the world, more or less on a constant basis, that we are the greatest f*ckers on the planet and the rest of the world should bow at our feet and worship us... And that's pretty obnoxious..."

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

There never was an identity. It's a theory. A theory that many can keep their differenced but be united at the same time. A theory Rome also tried for. It works. people can keep different and the same at the same time. i understand the term "separate but equal" is a bad term, but more appropriate is "different but equal".

how about...

Unique with Equality

or

Individual with Equality

or

Distinctive with Equality

Word grouping like; 'seperate but' and/or 'different but' is an automatic division/dividing/negative (trigger words)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

The "but" annotates a pause from differentiating, but you are correct.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, I'm an American and I can assure you I don't think I'm better than anyone else. Perhaps some of you should meet some of us before assuming so. I don't mean like the politicians and elite, but just regular people. I'm sure you'd find most all of us are pretty much the same everywhere.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

So you say. But last I check we are the international hub for all cultures, peoples, and ways of life. I think that says something. Why do they all go here?

Hub for all Cultures?

In your mind, you are lead to believe only multi cultural society exists in the USA?

In your mind, you are lead to believe people only flock to one country, the USA?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Most, not only.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Isn't the title of this thread just one more thing to cause hostilities. Do they really? The average person? Or do they feel powerless in the face of world events with Governments that never listen, and no say in anything?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
"Everyone else" might think that americans think they'er better than" every one else". Because some americans accuse the rest of americans of thinking they're better than "everyone else". When actually those who accuse others of this type of thinking are just suffering from low self esteem.

You can't paint a masterpiece with a wide brush.
edit on 5-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I'm an American, and I don't think I'm better than everyone else, just you, for posting this troll BS. Thanks for moving me closer to the top of the food chain.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Ellen15

Most, not only.

Now you claim "most" without much understanding

Being a vast country, geographically, economically and populus, it only natural for the US Immigration Department to allow more on the waiting list to enter

Other countries such as Australia, Canada, NZ & UK have people from all over the world waiting to enter their country, their Immigration Policy sets a limit per year (for obvious reasons)

Most people from all over the world are on waiting lists to enter any one of these countries, some countries have a higher requirement than another country (skills, qualification, savings/income support)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well that's 45 seconds of my life I'll never get back....

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I think people often confuse America's flair for individuality with arrogance. It is like the Europeans who say "America should do this and this and this[in regards to domestic policy]". While most American's just want to figure it out for ourselves.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I feel the same way you do about Norwegians. So many think that Norway is God's gift to them, that everything is so honky dory here and that we've got virtually no problems what-so-ever. They'll talk down on other countries, even if they know nothing of it or it's people. (They do this to America, and 90% of them haven't even been there nor know anything about it.)

Go figure.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Yes. But America has always been the central hub. And for the record, those other countries copied us once they saw it work. Most of their history is noted with extremely nationalistic anti outsider mentality. While America had this as well, it never won. Only in the 1960s onward has it actually taken hold in those nations. Congratulations, you've learned history.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't know, because we are????

I think most foreigners believe this because of how we are depicted in their media.
It is mostly self confidence in what we do and who we are that most likely comes across as a better then you attitude.
I personally do not think I am better then anyone else in general. I know I am better in certain aspects in life then most.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
"Everyone else" might think that americans think they'er better than" every one else". Because some americans accuse the rest of americans of thinking they're better than "everyone else". When actually those who accuse others of this type of thinking are just suffering from low self esteem.

If an american citizen is critical of where the country is heading, people's actions and behaviours (NGO, Governments, Organisations) society etc... they're suffering low self esteem ?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I dont beleive Americans think this at all, I know I dont. Now, regarding our political leaders, thats another story. Saying American though is as much of a stereotype as it is saying all Canadian talk funny and have an inferiority complex, which they dont.

I think the average American are pretty normal, and face the same challenges as people in other countries.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

reply to post by Ellen15

Yes. But America has always been the central hub. And for the record, those other countries copied us once they saw it work. Only in the 1960s onward has it actually taken hold in those nations. Congratulations, you've learned history.

No they did not copy you

You dont have a clue about other countries history and their historical Immigration Policies

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Sure I do. Australia has always been foolish, and lots of times abused immigrants into sub human status for longer periods than America. Their worst that I recall is what they did to the natives rather than the immigrants. Most of Europe historically was bad to immigrants, though England was commendable. Both groups continue to profess their racism from the past in how they act today.

America started the process of mass immigration in modern times with the German, Irish, and Italians. Arguably the blacks were the first mass immigrants. This continued with other groups into modern times and still moves on.

here's the facts. Weather you like it or not, America has no majority of people, nor do they have one culture, and they have 300 million people. Clear indications that we started it, did it the most, and were the most successful.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Why do people outside america take negative stereotypes about a select portion of our population and apply them to the whole?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join