It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here is the unfortunate answer to your question. Everyone single nation-state on this planet partakes in Nationalism or pride in your nation. Wherever you are born, you will be inclined to believe your nation is the superior to all others because you have been raised in a certain culture/environment. This is a human characteristic that can be found in nearly everyone on the planet. This is coming from a born and raised American! (Although I do not believe any particular culture is superior to any other)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Saying that you are multicultural is just an euphemistic way to say that you have no culture of your own. Not with deep, ancient roots, like most of the world.
And I think the reason many US people (´cause americans are everybody who lives in the american continent) think they are better than everybody else in the world (and many in their own country) is that you have been teach that way, since you were born. That way is easier to convince you that is ok to go to any country and kill people with any reason, and call them "the enemy" instead of "people". And have civilians support that. And don´t care, bacause they are "inferior" (just muslims, just latins, etc...)

Sorry, but your title was a cuestion, not a line saying "please, say the oposite of what the title say"

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mastercanto

I didn't say I was, I said Americans are from many cultures.

Or did I misunderstand you?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Tolerance is over-rated. Go to India and give your expensive camera equipment to the first Sadhu who asks you for it! And then give the rest of your cash to all the people who beg you for it. Let the temple guardians charge you 100 rupees instead of 10 just because you are a foreigner.

People like you like to think that Europeans are better than us. Go to a hotel in Tunisia and watch the Europeans try to get free buffet when they pretend they paid for it. It's really funny.

Oh yes, not to leave Russia out of the picture, I had a Russian dance instructor who told me that Russian mafia control all the business there now since the Berlin Wall came down, and he said they will kill you if you try to make money on your own. Just food for thought.

edit on 5-3-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by evolv

I agree, the Egyptians with their flags recently, seems to prove that point

edit on 033131p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
very soon everyone in the world including americans will wake upp and find out that america is nothing but a sham

I woke up early...already aware of the sham

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

Explain the sham.

As in shamwow?

edit on 033131p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: added question mark

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by niceguybob

those fake British accents...

Speaking of fake accents, when are Americans (actually this goes for all non-Aussies) going to realise that you can't fake an Aussie accent without making it cringeworthy? Seriously, you should hear it from our perspective lol it's terrible.

Please, for the love of god PLEASE stop trying to fake our accent!

/rant.
edit on 5/3/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

I have actually heard a "Gee-day mate"

and that elongated drawl on the goo in "Goo-day"

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lakesboy32

i think america has a similar attitude to britain in the sence that britain thinks that because we had an empire we are more superior than everyone else which is nonsence

Brits are some of the loveliest, most gracious people I've met, and you guys saved our local economy after 9-11 when no one else wanted to visit. Kudos to you.

Oh yah, and we want our bust of Churchill back after the next election

edit on 5-3-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Didnt say I was better than anyone else. Thanks for the assumption bros.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Cuz we are! You are what you are because of us. And I mean da good stuff.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with having pride in your country, and I can assure you all that we aren't the only ones who do this. What makes America great is that it's made up of people from around the world.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You can thank John Dewey and the infamous Skull and Bones for dumbing down our schools!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Its funny, i have always read

Russians are better than Americans
Asians are better than Americans
Europeans are better than Americans
Americans are better than Russians
Americans are better than Asians
Americans are better than Europeans

I guess the fact that we all live on a rock called Earth has slipped everyone's mind, but that's a good thing, simply because..... divide and conquer

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

From your first post.i do not believe you are an American Citizen. If you are, you were not born here.
What seperates these United States from other countries is our Great Constitution.
Otherwise, I believe we would be no different than any other country.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

They don't, not any more, not after Bush and Cheney got through with America, they don't. Now they're all meek and mild, and have been hurting, so if anything, the only possible reason could be that "they" (I'm Canadian eh?) might think that - is if they felt that at some level they weren't as good as everyone else.
More like a guilty conscience masquerading as bravado and supremecy.

The latest buzzword, crafted by the right wing and people like Newton Leroy Gingrich ("Newt"), is and will continue to be "American exceptionalism", and it's a valid argument, that almost all of modern history has eminated from the US as the trend setter, and her economy is still about 20 times the size of China and the average way of life still among the best in the world, with the notable "exception" of about a full THIRD of the US population. That said, however...

“Nationalism is our form of incest, is our idolatry, is our insanity. ''Patriotism'' is its cult. It should hardly be necessary to say, that by ''patriotism'' I mean that attitude which puts the own nation above humanity, above the principles of truth and justice; not the loving interest in one's own nation, which is the concern with the nation's spiritual as much as with its material welfare /never with its power over other nations. Just as love for one individual which excludes the love for others is not love, love for one's country which is not part of one's love for humanity is not love, but idolatrous worship.”

~ Erich Fromm, American Psychologist

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
no idea why Americans think that because no-one else thinks that....

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I don't feel I'm better then anyone else. Then again I'm 51 and wasn't babied to death from my parents either.

Peace Love

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

I think it best for the sake of the collective overall global percetption of the United States that Sarah Palin not so much as RUN for POTUS, 'cause it wouldn't be too good eh, ya know?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by Versa

I think it best for the sake of the collective overall global percetption of the United States that Sarah Palin not so much as RUN for POTUS, 'cause it wouldn't be too good eh, ya know?

To be honest I dont think that many people outside of the USA have the foggiest who Sarah Palin is and they sure dont know what she represents!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join