It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelknives52

Shutup michaelknives52. Your cockiness isn't helping to dispel the OP's delusion. Do you realize that?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I was born and raised in America and I hated everything about it. EVERYTHING. I hated the people in my school, I hated the culture, I hated the "values". And hence why I don't live there anymore. For the most part, yes, Many Americans are totally ignorant of other countries and cultures. Perhaps it was my travels since I was a kid that made me see that the world does not revolve around America, and that there are better things out there. Only one third of Americans have passports, and even less have even traveled abroad. Kids don't travel the world like Europeans do after high school, they go to the beach and get drunk. They tend not to know anything about world politics for the most part. They don't have much interest except for pursuing the "American Dream" (high school , college, work, retire, die). There are exceptions, but my experience throughout my childhood and early adult life was horrible. I could not identify myself with most Americans.

And you moved to Russia??

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmenimu2
reply to post by Frankidealist35

the only other difference is that americans think they are better.

Really? How so, how do you know all Americans? Assuming you have talked to all of us with that conclusion in mind?.

this is because americans are brainwashed, from 1st grade through 12th grade, and are told throughout their lower-schooling that america is the best and we have more and everything is better and freer here.

LOL you are too funny, brainwashed? WELL we must have went to different schools because i don't remember my teachers saying such things. I don't remember being brainwashed either. If you were to say they sugar coat certain areas in our history books such as slavery, killing the natives and our legacy of blood I would agree. However any country you live in has blood on it's hands and have practiced similar methods. After all we learned it from the best, best empire known for conquering and pillaging... the UK. America is just an expansion of the European crown.

americans live the bias of their brainwashing and actually believe they have more and better.

There you go again, villainy of us damn Yanks, when we are not biting the heads off chickens and throwing puppies in the rivers of course. We are plotting to steal your hub caps MUUUAAAAHHAAHAHAH "sinister laugh"

We have some have's and a lot of have not's, sounds like you have been watching the Brady Bunch?

americans dont realize they have chinese plastic, foreign cars

That is odd it says made in china, korea on just about everything? Had me fooled, Honda sounds very Japanese to me, wait we cant read lol

Must be the brainwashing after effects I cant see

and no health coverage

Oh that yeah, well we tried to get that through but it didn't work out, kind of hard not to notice you "dont have health coverage" when you see a doctor because that is the first thing they ask, wait we all have ADD too of course.

and that neighbors dont even talk to each other anymore because of ugly cultural/media programming and one of the ugliest cultural value-systems in the WORLD. buy more for me, thank you. bows.

Well i had a few beers with my neighbor and we talked about how 911 was an inside job the other day.
I don't watch the news, I get all my news from ATS.

Or as a wise man named Charlie would say "WINNING"

edit on 6-3-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
You usually hear them before you see them,
"Hey I'm an American"
Groan.............

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Its because Americans have been brainwashed to believe, that they and their county are the greatest in the world. That is what dictators do when they wish to bring their lifestock into some desaterous adventure. Hitler did it with the Germans. Even their national anthem contained the words: "We are the greatest in the world" (freely translated from " ...über alles in der Welt") While getting weaker and being more dumbed down by the day, you are being fed the illusion, you'r the greatest. Just look at a American crowd, not affiliated with some sport event, calling in chorus "USA-USA-USA!" You have been brainwashed into this nationalism. But remember, the word "NAZI" derives from "Nationalist"!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
the way you are raised/brought up, and how you view your world/reality, yeah alot of americans do, but i no people from other countrys are that way as well

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
They are born into believing, every president speech they always mention 'America, the greatest' or 'Gods Land' or some other propaganda BS

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by megatracker
They are born into believing, every president speech they always mention 'America, the greatest' or 'Gods Land' or some other propaganda BS

That's about right, but I thought every other nation's president/dictator/king/whatever was putting all the same kinds of garbage in their own speeches too. Especially between Israel and other Middle Eastern countries you also always hear the same stuff, also I notice UK media is obviously and naturally partial to Brits, etc.

Maybe some brainwashing speeches are just higher priority and more publicly visible than others. Americans own a lot of media too.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

At least in my country I don't listen much about god this, god that in a presidential speech. But when is the president of jesusland... man... he really likes to put god in the middle and the media make sure to put it in every freaking movie lol

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Funny.. about half of the american replies here says all americans aren't like that, the other half confess that they do believe that americans, 'america' is superior.

Going by per capita statistics my country is superior to the USA in most aspects of society.
So, no.. neither America or americans is the greatest country on earth, that would probably be Norway or Finland, perhaps all of Scandinavia, a lot of European or commonwealth nations, Japan etc.

The US is pretty much a third world country in my eyes.. you got 40 million people on food stamps and you're out spending 1,8 billions a week on a war based on a lie? Not even mentioning the 650 billion defence budget.. yeah, I guess you could call that great, but hardly what I would call civilised.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

"The US is pretty much a third world country in my eyes.. you got 40 million people on food stamps and you're out spending 1,8 billions a week on a war based on a lie? Not even mentioning the 650 billion defence budget.. yeah, I guess you could call that great, but hardly what I would call civilised." quote

It hurts me to say that we here in Blighty are even worse than America at the moment when it comes to war... We are making are servicemen and women redundant, scrapping warships without having anything to replace them, scrapping airplanes as well, yet we are flexing our muscles at Gaddaffi and threatening him when we have nothing with which to carry out our threats with!
We can't give any of our front line services a proper wage, in fact we are making them all redundant. We can't afford to keep the most basic libraries and hostils for the homeless open, yet cameron is able to find billions for the banks, billions to bail out Ireland and now billions to trot off to war in the wake of America to commit war crimes in the middle east once more... What makes me laugh is how the Prime Minister said he was touring the middle east to save 50,000 british jobs in the defence industry yet doesn't give a after thought to the 3 million he's already thrown on the scrap heap!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelknives52
because we are

After reading the responses from non Americans i think you are right.

We are better

And if you dont have a NFL team in your country then you suck

Worship us

edit on 6-3-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is really just an incendiary thread. An attempt to spread upset about one culture/people to many others. Fact is that this is a human trait. It is the "football mentality" or "sports team mentality". Us and Them. I'm sure you would find a large percentage of anyone from any country that would claim they and their country is the best.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I would first like to say before anyone accuses me of having an anti-American bias that I am American myself. I would also like to say that I have been experiencing some cognitive dissonance over here based on what I've been taught about my own country and what I actually see going on. Everyone here likes to think that we're the capital of diversity, and, that we're so great and so much better than everyone else. In the end, almost everyone I know talks about how different Europe is, how backwards the Mexican culture is compared to us, how Asians are bad drivers, how old people suck, and what not. They always think they're better than them.

Has it occurred to these people how shallow they really are? How can you make a whole generalization about almost all the people in a single culture about something like that? I really don't understand how people can do this and just act like they're so ultra-progressive, but they're really not! I try to be tolerant of other people and if I don't agree with something or don't like something I'll speak out on it and I'll say something, but, I won't generalize a whole group of people just because of some bad actors that get everyone else's attention. What's up with this?

And, I know just not to be hypocritical-- NOT ALL AMERICANS THINK THIS, AND THERE ARE AMERICANS THAT ARE REALLY TOLERANT. BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE THINK THIS WAY. It's not about stereotyping other people that's the problem. The problem is that they think that they're better than everyone else, and, that's what really bugs me.

Why do SOME people lump certain groups of people into totally inaccurate categories? I'm American, Caucasian, born and bred in the SOUTH. The south where many are extreme patriots, and church is near mandatory. I myself, however, am an atheist, a vegetarian, and deeply wanting to experience life in another country. I do not believe America to be the "greatest" country, with the "best" citizens. I think America is falling apart, and some European countries appeal to me much more. Even Austrailia and New Zealand are sounding wonderful!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kid_cudi
I would just like to say that if you type in Americans on google and go to wikipedia and read the definition it says exactly this! Americans- a culture and country that is better than everyone else in the world. Without a doubt w are better and we are not ignorant either! Look at what we have created! When you can do the things we can then you can try to say your better!

never ending wars and global credit crunch

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Ellen15

Fact is as it is. America has 300 million people, with a wide diversity of people from many lands, counting in the millions. Australia and others do not. And Australia today still has race riots. Many of which their population is more than happy to hop into.

Where the hell do you dig up that crap from? In the last decade or so I can think of 1 (count ONE) time that a race riot occurred, that being the Cronulla race riot - and most self-respecting Aussies consider the people who took part in that to be complete wankers (thats 'tools' for the Americans out there).

Oh and you must have completely skipped over the part where our Prime Minister at the time apologised on behalf of all Aussies to the Australian Aboriginal people for any and all atrocities that were inflicted on them by our forefathers. You missed this small little fact because it didn't suit your argument.

In my opinion you have completely nullified your entire post by spouting baseless, false crap to back up your argument.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

ooo. Your leader apologized. That must really be special.

You do not have hundreds of millions of people form all over the world. In ergo, no.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

And you make up complete BS to back up your arguments.

Way to prove the point of this thread, thanks for that

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Kryties

ooo. Your leader apologized. That must really be special.

The Australian Aboriginal people seemed to think so....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ada1c1b1b646.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3343299d567.jpg[/atsimg]

Did you know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Not really. Considering that the race riots DID happen. And you still do NOT have hundreds of millions of many different people.

Also aboriginal peoples just want an apology. But that doesn't change what happened. Only difference is that the Americans stopped a lot earlier.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join