It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people in America like to think they're better than everyone else?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Yay. Another idiot and/or ATS flag seeker making a USA vs. the world thread...

Full disclosure: I was born in America and live in America.

We may have always been confident because we collapsed empires, but all this hatred towards US people is starting to grow real thin...which might lead to our collective arrogance. I know very few American citizens, myself included, that think they're better than "everyone else," and because of that I am getting real f*cking tired of people like you, OP, making suppositions like that. You might be familiar with some of our media, but I suspect you don't know much else about us.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Oh boy another American Complaint thread, why is it that some people draw conclusions based on a whim? That Americans are so pompous, rude, fat pigs, war hawks blah blah. Again this is one of those times where someone classifies an entire group and country as being the same? We all have our opinions and attitudes, we are not all the same.It is not all black and white either.

It is no different any where else, try going to Italy. When I was there the people were rude "not all" and treated me as a lesser class of person. And even though my roots stem from there it does not matter... im a damn American. When i was in Germany it was a mixture of good and bad. It's not telletubby land anywhere you go. The world aint all sunshine and rainbows OP.

The immigration debate is very complicated and myself am conflicted there is no real solution. It is what it is, it is one of those things that can not be controlled. Because human will, is a powerful thing people will do what they want legal or illegal to survive. If they choose to be in the states then they will be here. No army can change that, no Bill, no wall.

Characterizing us all as the same kind of animal is ignorant in itself. Look just appreciate what you have and the people you hold dear to you. And have a little faith in us... things are tough all over. Humans being, being humans. Complaining about it, bitching and moaning about it is a waste of time. There will always be ignorant people... they are misinformed or poorly raised. We need to fix our educational institutions and nothing will get better or fix itself unless we start there.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

You see this in every culture in every country. The UK hates America! We hate them! Middle east hates us. We hate them. If you hate Americans or say your better than us of course were gunna talk sh*t and say were better! Most of the time we are but every country thinks they r better than everyone else!
edit on 6-3-2011 by kid_cudi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ali3nAlly
Because we are better than everyone else...

I ageee, at least at a lot of things. Next time a Maniac starts invading it's neighboring countries and exterminating people maybe we should take our time stopping them. Maybe you would all be happier if you spoke german today i dont know. Yes take our time next time at least until we get a little respect again, pay us homage. As we all know history repeats itself when it comes to these kinds of things. I believe China, North Korea and a few other giants are right up your alleys.

Maybe you American bashers can go bowling with Kim Jong and we will find some new friends

edit on 6-3-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ozscot
Firstly let me say that I view the citizens of the United States as no different from the folks of most developed countries - just honest to goodness, hard working folks trying to make their way in a world of fog. That fog however does not extend to your Politicians. American Politicians are arrogant and brash and whilst I can't defintively say they are ignorant and uninformed of the facts surrounding policy issues - they appear to be. That arrogance from politicians does not translate well on the international stage and unfortunately citizens of other nations view it as an 'trait of the United States' (Which of course it is not - It's an United States Political Trait).

Good point. I can honestly say that in my experience, fellow citizens are actually quite disappointed in our country as a whole. The people of the United States in my own limited experience living here in the midwest, have been humbled by our many failures as a society. Perhaps compounded by an unreasonably high expectation we have for what we "should" be, and what we are rapidly becoming. The politicians we "elect" represent nothing, if not the true divide between the country and its system.

So, while common citizens are nothing like the OP claims in my opinion, our representatives are everything and more.
edit on 6-3-2011 by dontshoot because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Has it occurred to these people how shallow they really are? How can you make a whole generalization about almost all the people in a single culture about something like that?

Hey, OP, who's making the generalizations?

Mirror, mirror on the wall who's the dumbest of them all?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

OP, i have travelled through almost 40 countries, by backpack without a guide, and i find very little evidence that america or americans are "better" than anyone in any other country. yes, some countries suffer more economic or political repression, but america is rising ranks very high in both these catagories as well.. the only difference is that in most countries people still know and interact with their neighbors with a little joy.

the only other difference is that americans think they are better. this is because americans are brainwashed, from 1st grade through 12th grade, and are told throughout their lower-schooling that america is the best and we have more and everything is better and freer here. well, that is just not true, in the sense that it is relative and many countries and cultures have much to offer. unfortunately, americans live the bias of their brainwashing and actually believe they have more and better. americans dont realize they have chinese plastic, foreign cars and no health coverage and that neighbors dont even talk to each other anymore because of ugly cultural/media programming and one of the ugliest cultural value-systems in the WORLD. buy more for me, thank you. bows.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Alot of people think that way all over the world.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pinchanze
I saw some protesters up in Wisconsin at the State Capital. I think you can get shot for that in Iran.

Some Americans to feel better always compare their country with a repressive almost 3rd world country...

Why not compare apples with apples.... Why not compare current protesters in Wisconsin with recent protesting in Australia, Canada, NZ, UK, France, Iceland, Ireland, Greece, Italy?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

the citizens of the United States as no different from the folks of most developed countries - just honest to goodness, hard working folks trying to make their way in a world of fog.

Right...
Citizens of the US are no better or any different to other citizens in developed countries (UK, Europe, Australia, Canada, NZ, etc) honest and hard working citizens

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I would just like to say that if you type in Americans on google and go to wikipedia and read the definition it says exactly this! Americans- a culture and country that is better than everyone else in the world. Without a doubt w are better and we are not ignorant either! Look at what we have created! When you can do the things we can then you can try to say your better!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Because we are

Just kidding before you get your panties ina twist!

...but we are!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by urmenimu2

America is certainly not the end-all-be-all, but is

twix heaven~n~hell
? Some people have the cajones to acknowledge they live in a real--if imperfect-place...

I'm gonna have to google "twix heaven~n~hell" because I don't think that it exists. But what do I know? I was born in the USA.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byteman
reply to post by Kryties

And I'm not even going to get started on the fact your 'football' players wear armour :p

At least we don't spell armor with excessive and silly u's.

America is one of the only countries in the world that doesn't use a 'U' in many words such as 'Armour' or 'Colour'. I cannot figure out whether you already knew that or not, but I have a feeling you didn't.

But if you really want to nitpick, at least we don't shorten everything into acronyms like FBI, CIA, DIA, DOD, SCOTUS, ABC, BS, ROFLMFAO etc etc. In case you hadn't noticed it sounds absolutely friggin ridiculous to any non-American (and probably to many Americans as well).

Oh, okay.
You have nothing but bad things to say about America, but we shouldn't think ill of you?

Isn't that it's own little form of arrogance?

No, its just simple fact. If I was intent on 'bashing America' you'd bloody know about it mate trust me. I could care less that you think ill of me btw, just another arrogant American thinking he's better than everyone else. Thankyou for proving the point of this thread.
edit on 6/3/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

School. Imo.

I live in england and we are tought through history about how good we are and our news papers and culture are quite arrogant towards other country's too.

Actually after reading up the thread. it seams only the english and yanks here are tought we are better than others, because from what iv seen we are the only 2 nations in here arguing about how good we are lol.

Come on guys. we are both nearly the same. Americans speak english with a few vouls removed and the english are copying off everything american culture wise for the last 30 years or more.
edit on 6-3-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Explain the sham
You mean you don't/can't see it

You think it is all real
The whole world is one big sham and the joke is on us little people.

res
edit on 6-3-2011 by resistancia because: spelling correction

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
From what I have seen of the world, for hard workers, visit Germany, for arrogance visit France, for people who have been 'under the thumb' for 900 years, visit England, for really bad teeth, visit the coal mining areas of America, where coal face workers earn 10 K a year, want to look at a superb blonde female? visit Sweden, want a political/religious argument? you will get one in Northern Ireland!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
The problem is that they think that they're better than everyone else, and, that's what really bugs me.

That pride stems from victory in World War II and forged in the fires of the Great Depression.

To the victor goes the spoils and the bragging rights.

Superpower (2008)
IMDB

edit on 6-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional info

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92

I was born and raised in America and I hated everything about it. EVERYTHING. I hated the people in my school, I hated the culture, I hated the "values". And hence why I don't live there anymore. For the most part, yes, Many Americans are totally ignorant of other countries and cultures. Perhaps it was my travels since I was a kid that made me see that the world does not revolve around America, and that there are better things out there. Only one third of Americans have passports, and even less have even traveled abroad. Kids don't travel the world like Europeans do after high school, they go to the beach and get drunk. They tend not to know anything about world politics for the most part. They don't have much interest except for pursuing the "American Dream" (high school , college, work, retire, die). There are exceptions, but my experience throughout my childhood and early adult life was horrible. I could not identify myself with most Americans.

I was just wondering how tall a ladder do you use getting off your High Horse every evening?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
because we are

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join