It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so i was wondering..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
if it turns out that all of the cosmic, geologic, and prophetic indications point to ELEs are inaccurate, then why do we even put any stock into cataclysmic ideas. is it due to our obsession with beginning/end duality? is it what barbara hand clow says is our innate fear of an extinction level event? could it be pseudoscience exploited for the purpose of manipulation by those who control our various media? Who knows? i think someone does but i dont think that many of us know them. regardless, i would just like to say that i think there is a lot of worry in the world concerning this sort of thing especially with hollywood's portrayal of biblical destruction in 2012. how bad can it be?

-Scenario 1-
everyone dies

1) o well. pretty sure it wont be that bad. a ripple on the lake in the scope of ETERNITY.

or

2) for the atheists; worm food. you wont care then either.

-Scenario 2-
Few survive and repopulate and everyone else (see scenario 1 numbers 1 and 2)

-Scenario 3-
Biblical rapture

1) You can get right spiritually without being afraid of worldwide destruction and it will only make you better assuming nothing happens at all. seventh seal. mark of the beast. etc. either these are much too cryptic or they arent actually present. (please correct me if i am wrong but i have not seen any of them)

2) for those who choose not to, it is a choice one can make.

MY FAVORITE

-Scenario 4-
Nothing at all happens and everything just keeps ticking

1) Yahoo!

2) we listen no more to doomsday ideologies and live to try to be the best people we can be. Love and live long.

I am at a different time in my life to view these types of things objectively. i was only 13 in 2000. i do remember a bit of hysteria about the entire "world fail die oh no" but i do think that it is a bit more intense now because this time, there is evidence.
there is always evidence. you can prove anything.

i would like to hear your some thoughts on the ideas ive presented here. im not a disinfo agent or someone trying to pacify the hysteric masses. just a dad, husband, son, brother, friend, man trying to realize why we let fear paralyze us from advancing ourselves in whatever ways we deem appropriate. and i am definitely not accusing anyone of the above. maybe i have characterized myself as "we". just some observations as to how things have gone in the last few years. but on a much lighter note i hope that you guys all enjoy your weekends. bless you guys.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There will be many prodictions that are wrong. The truth is it only takes one to be right. I'd rather be prepared and alive than blind to the possibilites.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TomJoad

i would like to add that if a massive flood is inevitable and there is absolutely no escape and no chance of evolutionary FTW like kevin costner in waterworld, i will be waiting for the tsunami on my surfboard.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well I for one share your curiousity on this issue. I have never understood why it is that people embrace or continously focus on these things. You have a higher chance of devolping Cancer then dying to some ELE. I do not actually believe in the concept of ELE, as I do not think you will kill the entire human race not at this point in time anymore anyway.

The only true ELE's that I can think of would be The Sun going Super Nova or a Asteroid like Apophis. If Apophis were to head towards earth we would have time to prepare as there is no way it could happen without prior knowledge. I highly doubt that government would hide it forever. They would more then likely keep it under wraps and prepare and I could see them doing something like in the movie Deep Impact a lottery of sorts so that some people will survive. It does seem to me that they know something is coming such as Apophis. I see no other reason for projects like Doomsday Vault However I do not believe "the powers that be" would just go hide while everyone else dies. I mean it truly makes no sense as there is no point to rule a barren world.

Also I am not 100% convinced that even an asteroid as big as Apophis would actually kill all life. It's like the Yellowstone disaster. Yes it would be horrific and millions will die, but not everyone. It truly is not an extinction level event. If you really want to get technical the death of the Sun is the only true Extinction Level Event, and who's to say another Sun won't spark up by then. The point is that no one knows the future regardless of what some may think. There is no proof that any prophet has actually been right. I mean I could say.

The earth will be struck by an Asteroid in the next 10yrs
There will be a Super Tsunami in the next 20yrs
Yellowstone will erupt in the next 15yrs
Space Junk will rain down on the Earth in the next 25yrs
There will be a huge Earthquake in the US in the next 12yrs

Statistically one of those 5 will happen in the next 10 yrs just by proxy. So therefore does this make me a prophet?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

i am prepared. maybe thats what it takes to put your self at ease.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

i would say no but i am not condemning prophets for they only try to advise. im not condemning anyone really. just saying dont dwell on the day you die.crazy you mention cancer. my cuz was just diagnosed with melanoma. crazy like 22 years old.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

is "beggars" your youtube channel? little thrice?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
Also I am not 100% convinced that even an asteroid as big as Apophis would actually kill all life. It's like the Yellowstone disaster. Yes it would be horrific and millions will die, but not everyone. It truly is not an extinction level event.

To me, what you've described above is the worst case scenario. I would MUCH prefer to be wiped out with the rest of humanity than try to live a decent life after such an event. An ELE is nothing to fear... you won't feel a thing...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TomJoad

No it's not my channel I just liked the song =0) I dont have any thing to upload on Youtube at least yet lol. Sorry to hear about your cousin

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

If you want to get a good idea of what things might be like after Yellowstone there is actually a good docudrama on it from the BBC called Supervolcano it's available free online and rather easy to find. Pretty sure linking it to you would be a violation of some rule lol.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
We are smaller than an electron in a piece of sand on the beach of the universe. Volcanoes are the least of my worries. Large scale electrical instabilities within our solar system and the galaxy are vastly more creative/destructive. If your open minded and considerate look into plasma/electrical cosmology.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I completely agree with all of the different ways things could go down. 1 and 2 are so bad, that I don't worry about them at all, I'm just not into 3 myself, and I force myself to believe that your number 4 is going to happen, but I do think you missed at least one more.

When I listened to my Grandparents stories as a child about the Great Depression, it really spooked the heck out of me. No work, and food and medical care was scarce. When I look around me today I realize that our society is no where near as tough or independent as our Grandparents were. Many people back then knew how to live off the land, or had many other survival skills that are scarce today, From simply plucking a chicken, to starting a fire without a match or lighter. Quite frankly, a majority of people in modern society do not have the neccessary skills to survie without a grocery store, or without a smartphone, or without the internet.

We came very close to a depression here recently, and as someone who lives in the upper Midwest of the US, it sure feels like the recession is still going on. Events like 9/11, Katrina, the Indonesian Tsunami, and many others have had impacts on our economy, great and small. I am just a hard working guy like anyone else, I am not an economist, but it sure seems like everything is so fragile right now. Gas is rising faster than a rocket right now due to the Middle East revolutions, food prices are going up, and while they spout news about the economic recovery, our global economy is not strong, at all.

Now with this weakened economy in mind, consider that there are a number of potential disasters that are overdue. Everyone knows about the big scary ones, but let's not even consider Yellowstone, or other mega events that fall into your first and second category. I'm thinking of the scared people in Arkansas going through the current eq/fracking swarm that is sitting right next to the New Madrid Fault Line. I am thinking of the thousands of other oil wells out in the gulf that are in the same shape as the Deepwater Horizon was. Larger volcanoes, not super, but larger ones in Europe, like Iceland or Italy. What really is in the tail of Comet Elenin, or when will a major X-class flare hit our electrical grid with Northern Lights in the Carribean, and no lights on anywhere else?

There are many other danger spots around the world besides these that could bring our society down to its knees. Sure, we have survived through events like these tons of times in the past, and I know that our species will survive tons of these events in the future. But my point to all of this is this...Our society's infrastructure is weak on many levels (bridges, electrical grid, internet), people have less survival and environmental skills than ever in our evolution, our economy is very weak and more inter-dependent on a global scale than every before in history, and there are many Earth-related natural hotspots that are overdue for disaster.

The survival spirit of humanity is awesome, and so long as there are a few people somewhere, we will keep on going. But this world we live in right now, is so on the verge of collapse. I'm sure we will get through the next Cat 5 Hurricane and rebuild as well as we have in New Orleans (sarcasm), and I am sure that we will build new cities when a massive US EQ hits either the San Andreas, the New Madrid or the Cascadia Subduction Zone, but I believe that sooner than later, enough of these events will trigger the downfall of our society, just like the Romans, and so many other "We-will-never-perish" Empires of the past. Our arrogance as a society, our belief in our superiority, and our ability to forget the lessons of the past, have all created a moment in time that is ripe for collapse.

How will your neighbors survive when the power goes out for one week, one month, or one year? How fast would anarchy take over, especially without the elctricity and power that our military and police need to enforce the law and provide peace?

I personally believe that all of the New Age mumbo jumbo about ancient Tribal day calenders saying it's a casual dress day in 2012 is a crock and a marketing scheme, and that all that I have ever seen when I look in a mirror is my own ugly mug looking back and not prophetic visions of Hister and Mabus. I really do pray often that nothing happens in 2010 at all. I can handle 2011, or 2013 and beyond, but if something does happen in 2012, I do not want to deal with the explosion of wacko mumbo jumbo religious freaks all over the place, on top of having to survive in anarchy.

If now, or in 2012, or whenever, and I pray strongly that we never do, but if we get a New Madrid rupture at the same time a Cat 5 Hurricane hits the US or Mt. Etna blows in Italy or Hekla or Katla, or any of a number of dfferent things at the same time, or just one Earth disaster happens at the same time a flare hits our grid, or the Middle East erupts in war, or so many things, our society will collapse. I 100% believe that.

In my opinion, you need a Scenario 5, and that is the collapse of society. I think that most people that fear mongers here on ATS and other places, are completely confused as to the difference between the end of the world, and the end of society. The world is fine, the sun has a long life ahead of it, and humanity will keep on screwing everything up for a long time to come. But Sunday Night Football, and Legos and Big Macs, that clock is ticking against all of our society. SO in the meantime, let's keep building more cities on flooding prone coastlines, or in known hurricane paths, or next to volcanos, or on top of major fault lines.

People will survive, but society can not survive people's stupidity.

Deny Ignorance

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Sorry about the rant...had to get it out, thanks.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

tis life

top topics

join