It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mac OS X virus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

A MAC OS X TROJAN is out in the wild, a further sign that criminals are looking at the Apple PC operating system with more interest due to its increasing market share.

The "Blackhole Remote Access Trojan (RAT)" has been found and analysed by the insecurity firm Sophos. A variant of a Windows Trojan called Darkcomet, the malware carries a number of features that could be used for nefarious purposes.

This includes the ability to send URLs, which could allow criminals to lead web surfers to malicious websites. It can also pop up fake administrator password windows. A hacker who successfully gets a user to type in their actual password will then have full system access.

The creator of the malware seems to have created Blackhole RAT to make a point. Another of the Trojan's features is the ability to put up a full-screen window that only allows you to click on a reboot button.

On it a message reads, "I am a Trojan Horse, so I have infected your Mac computer. I know, most people think Macs can't be infected, but look, you are infected!"

"I have full control over your computer and I can do everything I want, and you can do nothing to prevent it. I'm a very new virus, under development, so there will be many more functions when I've finished."

Mac OS X users shouldn't panic about something like this, but it is worth being careful about downloading unauthorised applications, especially from dodgy Bittorrent websites. Of course, keeping up with security patches is also advised.

www.theinquirer.net...

It's because Macs are getting more market share. No OS is invulnerable to attack.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Maybe not yet but it will encourage others to try to out do that one. As Macs gain more market share they will be targeted more. Even the Android phones got hit with 50+ malware apps. Android runs on Linux which touts that is virus free.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I can already imagine the Mac zealots' defense: "Mac owners are too smart to fall for it!"

new topics

top topics

join