It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little VITRIOL about the word VITRIOL.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed the recent popularity of the word VITRIOL? It is one of those obscure words that seldom sees print and is almost never used in conversation yet I have heard and seen it dozens of times in the last two months. As far as I can tell it began with a NY Times article on the shootings in Arizona dated January 8, 2011. Almost immediately talk radio hosts were using it followed by listeners who just HAD to use the word in a sentence, of course the news networks and local papers soon jumped on that bandwagon.
The definition of the word is "inflamatory language, bitterly abusive language" and in an effort to link the killings to free speech it was tossed around like confetti. In the same way that murder becomes manslaughter, hate speech becomes vitriol, brilliant.
Vitriol now climbs to the top of my list of words or phrases that will make me want to hit you with a stick, followed closely by "at the end of the day". If you never used the word prior to 2011 you are forbidden from using it now.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a91efb409aee.jpg[/atsimg]

Its actually an acronym
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem

edit on 4-3-2011 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

check out the chamber of reflections, vitriol is also a corrosive substance which is why they may use it how they do

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
the reason that we kept hearing the same terminology across networks and newscasts at the time of the shootings was because the mainstream media is directed to use certain terminology, phrases and passages - like vitriol - by operatives from a variety of sources.

these sources include, but are not limited to:

the democratic national committee
the white house
moveon.org
tides foundation

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I know that it's a very good song by Bluejuice, go ahead and give it a try, it even sounds a bit like your rant you have here.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

How come I keep bumping into you guys?
This is getting a little weird, but I appreciate the tip and I will certainly look into it.

new topics

top topics

join