It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless? More Employers Say You Need Not Apply

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by Mr. D

Yeah. I am pretty sure I have had some of that fear present in some of the interviews.

It also probably does not help that I'm female. Just sayin'.

Female. The worst presence to corner in a battle if she has children.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned..........................................

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

You look like an idiot by generalizing everyone that's on or has ever been on unemployment.

You better believe that there are people who want to work. Turn off FOX and turn of the conservative mumble jumble/psychobabble for a second and think.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I've been an independent contractor for 24 years. I didn't like being drug tested every time I applied for a job. No more drug tests for me. It was hard not having a steady income. I started painting houses. I got good at it. Any extra money I made I put back into the business. I have a lot of equipment now, two sprayers, numerous ladders, brushes, drops( I used to buy plastic drop cloths, now they're all canvas.) I started with twenty bucks and my old Chevy Lumina. It was really hard at first. I stuck with it. I don't really ever worry about money now, I always have enough. I used to run ads in the local paper. It doesn't cost much to run a two week ad. The first time I ran an ad it cost me five dollars and generated me five thousand dollars worth of work. Most of my customers are retired people. I charge retired people twenty five percent less than I normally would, I don't make as much money. It's worth it though, just to see the smiles on their faces when I'm done. I haven't had to run an ad in ten years, all my business today is word of mouth. It's scary going out on your own, but it's worth it in the long run.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Why would someone with a job be seeking another? This is the countermoves TPTB is doing to prevent this nation from coming back.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SunSword

They arent discriminating at all. The no layoffs is there for a reason. Why hire a person for a position like that when there is a very real possibility of the prior employer rehiring those laid off.

Laid off does not mean terminated. It means business is slow and they cant afford all the workers. When business picks up, they bring them back.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

They arent discriminating at all. The no layoffs is there for a reason. Why hire a person for a position like that when there is a very real possibility of the prior employer rehiring those laid off.

Laid off does not mean terminated. It means business is slow and they cant afford all the workers. When business picks up, they bring them back.

So you didn't read the text of the quote or follow the link to the original story did you? I will emphasize the text:

Look anywhere where jobs are posted, and you'll see more examples. This discrimination isn't subtle. It's not covert. It's right out in the open, stated in the listings: A phone manufacturer looking to fill a marketing job stipulates "No unemployed candidates will be considered at all." An electronics firm looking for an engineer says it will "Not consider/review anyone NOT currently employed regardless of the reason." A Craigslist posting for an assistant restaurant manager in New Jersey says all applicants "Must be currently employed."
There it is in clear plain text. NO unemployed candidates considered for ANY reason. Period.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
We just need to opt out of their system altogether. Its just more and more clear. There is no way to play their game and remain a human being.

Please let me know the way. I'm contemplating starting my own business. If you have any advice, it is welcome.

I'm sick of making other people rich.

How about making EVERYONE "rich," including you? I say this is possible, and offer my work linked in my sig. The End of Entropy work is a foundation for the Ethical Planetarian Party.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Not at all necessarily so. I was laid off because the company I worked for was bought out and the work I was doing was moved out of state. Sure, in many cases what you are saying is so, however, in a fair number of cases, being laid off means no more work there, period.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

The only advice I have is focus on what you are good at. Focus on the service end of it, what you can provide and provide well, and less on the money end of it. I think the biggest mistake we all make is setting up a dollar figure first, "I need to make x dollars," and then trying to come up with a job that will do that.

I think the key is saying "this is what I have to offer," and beginning there, and looking for opportunities to make it pay and building up to your figure.

Also, consider reading "Beyond Civilization" by Danial Quinn who takes on the challenge of contemplating what society would look like if we stopped playing the pyramid scheme based game we are playing now. He doesnt give you the whole answer, but he does open up new lines of thought about how to organize groups of people into a business venture.

www.ishmael.com...

And if you have to take a regular job, my strategy is to always take the job that causes the least harm. I dont aim for the most money. Ideally one would be offering ones gift to the world, but if you are unclear what that is, and how to do that, (as many of us are) at least aim for doing what causes the least harm, to you, and to others.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I have seen that and heard it from others as well.
I have always thought why would I want to work for a company, that does not like me if I am Irish or so on.
When they are forced to hire you, it really creates for a harsh working environment.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Yeah, but you can break through the harsh work environment over time.

If you are competent, and can do the work, and you can push through the hostile work environment, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Blacks, the Irish, women, etc, now work in all kinds of jobs, and they arent regularly subjected to outright harassment. Someone has to break the barrier, all I would say is dont offer to be the first across the line unless you can really do a good job. Nothing makes it harder for everyone else than someone who cant do the job using EEO laws to get a job. Make sure you can do what you apply for.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by macman

Yeah, but you can break through the harsh work environment over time.

If you are competent, and can do the work, and you can push through the hostile work environment, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Blacks, the Irish, women, etc, now work in all kinds of jobs, and they arent regularly subjected to outright harassment. Someone has to break the barrier, all I would say is dont offer to be the first across the line unless you can really do a good job. Nothing makes it harder for everyone else than someone who cant do the job using EEO laws to get a job. Make sure you can do what you apply for.

I fully agree that you can. And I don't see why a company would want to do this and expect to be successful.
I would not want to work for or go to any company that wont hire or serve persons of one ethnicity or gender. .

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I would also add to be careful what you post on social networks like the one worth billions. At the latest lay offs a specific social site was used to select lay off candidates. Those that got to keep their jobs for now moved their posts to private. It isn't right but who can fight it?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm not saying this is for everyone, but if a person has been un emplyeed for a longer time..think about this "it worked for me in the past and worked for a good friend recently"

Yes it costs a bit of money.."here it cost me $50 a year"

Go to the court house and get a bussiness license, and tax ID # once you have those you are not un employeed, and can tell potential employers that you are mowing yards, "women" can say they are cleaning houses, and/or doing lite grounds keeping, child care, use your imagination....
And before I get flamed over gender...I am not meaning women should clean house...it was just an example!

My friend did this just so his resume' did not show him as "not working" last year while looking for work, he made close to 25k doing odd jobs to make ends meet, until he found someone hiring, and he did not need to say "I'm unemployeed"

But like I said, this is not something everyone would/will like, all it does is make it/you legal to do contract labor..or work for yourself...and stay out of the dreaded "no job" status while applying to work elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Well, I've already decided to get out of their system...screw them I will be laughing when the ship sinks I don't even care If I'm going down with it. I hope an asteroid hits the US!!!!
Did you put that on your resume?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If we can say who we hire and who we don't then there's an abundance of labor out there for us to choose from. No problems. When employers start banging on your doors asking for anyone, anywhere, to work for them, then we'll have problems! But right now? People just like to complain. They haven't seen the sh** hit the fan yet. The reality is there's an overabundance of workers out there.

Something has to give. This is how nature changes things.

YOu know what bugs me the most about the recession? Is that people are paying for something that they didn't cause. Everyone is shouldering the burden. This means that whoever made hte mistake won't learn their lesson and that it's likely that what's happening now will happen again someday.

But perhaps this is exactly what nature wants. It's preparing us for something. No, lol, I'm not thinking of 2012. I'm not that stupid. I'm thinking in terms of evolutionary patterns and shifts. I'm thinking in terms of millions of years. I'm thinking in academic terms. Mathematical. Maybe this fluctuation is as fundamental as 3.141592654... It reoccurs all throughout nature.

Or maybe I'm making lemonade. But I always try to look on the bright side of things. I always want to assume there's a larger purpose for all of this. I hate to imagine that what we got is all there is. I'm not implying a god consciousness. Maybe a small-ish pattern inside a larger one?

I'm unemployed too, but I can see a house of mirrors just as well as someone who is employed.
edit on 6-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join