It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Beast Hunter" Premieres on National Geographic Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Beast Hunter

Man Ape of Sumatra

Friday March 4 9P
Friday March 4 8P
In the vast jungles of mystical Sumatra, locals have reported seeing a creature that looks something like an ape, yet it walks just like us. They've named it "Orang Pendek" - the little man of the forest. A recent scientific discovery proposes that another species of humans - nicknamed 'hobbits' - did once live in Indonesia. So could there be a new great ape waiting to be discovered? Or is it possible we're not the only human species living on earth? Biologist and beast hunter Pat Spain investigates.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cfe99fbfa6e.jpg[/atsimg]

channel.nationalgeographic.com...

The premiere episode tonight is about the Man Ape of Sumatra, looks like a may be an interesting new show, when National Geograpfic puts on a show most times it is worth watching.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out. NG has some of the best photographic equipment in the world, and their crew are often times the most skilled and professional.

I am a fan of "Destination Truth", and enjoy that program quite a lot.

Hopefully this program you are linking will be even better than DT. Can't wait for the show.

Edit to add : I love these types of programs because I believe they are slowly adding credibility to the topic of cryptozoology, and by increasing it's popularity it fosters discussions on these topics. It also promotes the ideals of conducting research and field investigations. Call me a fan of the frontiers of science.

edit on 4-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I am also looking forward to this show tonight, NGEO is one of the few channels I watch on TV these day, also like Discovery, History International and PBS, sometimes the Science channel has some good programing. Actually turned on my TV to the NGEO channel now so I won't forget to watch it.

Let me know later what you think of this new program muzzleflash.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

believe it or not I don't have a television, but I will try to find one and check it out.

thanks for the heads up.

josephus

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Good for you, think I should get rid of mine as I rarely watch it, the cost isn't worth it any longer, many of these programs can be seen on your PC these days free.

Check out the player at the link, this program wouldn't be up yet but sure it will be soon.

video.nationalgeographic.com...

Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks for the heads up Aquarius1! I will be definitely checking it out. I remember seeing a special on this type of creature one time but I don't believe it was National Geographic. The stuff they do is very well presented though. I already starred and flagged you before I made the post but if I could do it again I would!

Orang Pendek

Orang Pendek (Indonesian for "short person") is the most common name given to a cryptid, or cryptozoological animal, that reportedly inhabits remote, mountainous forests on the island of Sumatra. The animal has allegedly been seen and documented for at least one hundred years by forest tribes, local villagers, Dutch colonists, and Western scientists and travelers. Consensus among witnesses is that the animal is a ground-dwelling, bipedal primate that is covered in short fur and stands between 80 and 150 cm (30 and 60 in) tall.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mysterious Orang Pendek apeman spotted by British expedition 30 Sep 2009

The team of four British explorers and their Indonesian guide tracked through dense and treacherous jungle in the Kerinci National Park of Sumatra where two of them caught a glimpse of the Orang Pendek - or short man. The team have brought back hair samples and a piece of palm they hope will provide DNA evidence of the Orang Pendek - a creature sighted in the area since colonial times and reputed to be immensely powerful. A sample of hair thought to belong to the ape is also being analysed. The team hopes that by sending the sample to several labs, they will find DNA evidence of the Orang Pendek. Sightings of the creature go back to the time of colonialism. Witnesses have described it being about five foot tall and say that it walks on two legs, like a human.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thanks for the additional information and links, it is nice to see those who take this seriously, we indeed live in a mysterious world.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this and letting everyone know.

I wonder if he's the guy who planted all that great Sumatra Coffee!

It should be a quality presentation the National Geographic usually does a very splendid job in their investigations.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I wonder if he's the guy who planted all that great Sumatra Coffee!

Are you talking about the beast or the host of this new program Proto, just want to clear that up.

Yes Sumatran coffee is great, bold and smoky flavor, I imagine this beast is also bold and somewhat smoky.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Computer-generated image of the alleged Mapinguari beast with claws like a sloth's.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/841f7edca266.jpg[/atsimg]

Pat heads into the jungle carrying a Baka hunting spear. Local legend has it that the Baka tribe once hunted and killed a Mokele Mbembe -- every villager who ate the meat died.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0aedaa473edb.jpg[/atsimg]

The picture above is Pat Spain host of "Beast Hunter"

channel.nationalgeographic.com...-Photos/16#ixzz1FgKZZWSf

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Just checked my local channel and there are back to back progams, the first program Man Ape of Sumatra followed by Nightmare of the Amazon tracking down a legendary sloth-like creature in the Brazilian Amazon. I am going to record both programs...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Very interesting so far, Pat visits a local Shaman named Pac Yerri to ask if the ape man is real or just local myth. He also met with a woman who is a Tiger conversationalist and she said she saw the ape man once,described it as around four feet tall with honey blonde hair. She said the upper body looked like someone on steroids.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Except for size it reminds me of Bigfoot as it walks and stands on two feet opposed to Ape's. In the eyes of the locals this is a very real animal.

Pat is ready for a trip into the forest, he will need a quide for that.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Beast Hunter is hosted by Pat Spain, a biologist and explorer who travels the globe in search of mythical creatures, immersing himself amongst the tribes, people and cultures on his quest to find the truth between fact and fiction.

What is interesting is that Pat Spain is a biologist and has the credentials and qualifications to do this job.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Except for size it reminds me of Bigfoot as it walks and stands on two feet opposed to Ape's. In the eyes of the locals this is a very real animal.

Pat is ready for a trip into the forest, he will need a quide for that.

I is a'scared what if he finds the apeman and the apeman get's angry? What if the apeman tries to hurt him?

I don't think he is going to come back out, he shouldn't go in there!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Local legend has it that the Baka tribe once hunted and killed a Mokele Mbembe -- every villager who ate the meat died.

Still, probably one of the most interesting crypto possibilities.... I still find it absolutely amazing that this creature (which looks like a brontosaurus) is found in their artwork, before any scientists were aware of dinosaurs.

Yes, I know the brontosaurus is an erroneous creation and misidentification, but the drawings most resemble it...or other sauropods)....

top topics

join