It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUSLIM women hiding their faces could face jail as a burka ban becomes law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The French government announced yesterday the controversial veil will be outlawed in public from next month.

British tourists who cross the Channel will be hit by the ban, and it could spark more calls for such a crackdown in the UK.

Under the new French rules, men can be fined up to £25,000 and jailed for a year for forcing wives to wear a burka in public.

Women will face a smaller fine of around £130 because they are “often victims who are not given any choice”. But repeat ­offenders, both male and female, who ­refuse to pay their fines will be jailed.

The crackdown, beginning on April 11, applies to all public spaces including streets, shops, restaurants, cinemas, ­theatres, sports stadiums and behind the wheel of a car on a public road.

France, the second country in Europe ­after Belgium to ban the burka, believes the veil is “an insult to its values”.

President Nicolas Sarkozy called the Muslim clothing a “sign of debasement” while immigration minister Eric Besson said it was “a walking coffin”.

Notices have been placed in public buildings with the slogan “The Republic lives with its face uncovered”.

But Europe is now braced for a terror attack after al-Qaida promised “dreadful revenge” for the ban.

And French police say they do not have the manpower to enforce the law.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
OK .. im really not the type of person who ( Edit - Usually)says this but i just have to im really sorry

1. Somebody else already posted this today
2. Your in the wrong topic to post this

Really sorry for negative feedback : )

Peace
edit on 4-3-2011 by johngtr because: Bad Edit

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

hi om realy sorry im new thanks for letting me know il learn next time lol..thx

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The premise is correct though Isn't it? I hope we in dear old Blighty follow the French lead as the police are picking up young men off the streets for wearing hoodies and baseball camps because they can't see their faces yet nobody does a thing about the burka... Its either one law for all or NO law...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It is funny how the propagandists managed to equate something becoming illegal with freedoms being added to the public. Usually, illegal things represented a prior freedom. And yes, even harming others is a freedom. With total freedom we would all be as we were and would have to learn how to fend for ourselves.
edit on 4-3-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

No its not, its upholding the values and freedom of the nation and not allowing something that is child abuse for my child to witness this sado/masochistic abuse of women, to occur.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I would just think it was funny.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
It is funny how the propagandists managed to equate something becoming illegal with freedoms being added to the public. Usually, illegal things represented a prior freedom.

Why is it "racism"?
Muslims come in all colors.

My bank doesn't allow folks to wear sunglasses or hats.
Bet they allow burkas.
Not fair is it?

YOu completely changed your post. You had said that it was "racism".
edit on 4-3-2011 by OhZone because: added comment

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think that France and Belgium have got it wrong.

There seems to be a perfectly simple solution to this.

Everyone has the right to wear what they want, including covering their faces up, but everybody should have to reveal their faces in situations where they are legally required to.

Simples.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/478d18ac76e3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Its not racism, please explain how it is Racist? I.E. to do with race?

Anyway a example i wanted to mention is this,
For example in the U.K.

I am not allowed to enter a bank with a , motor bike helmet on, & i am not allowed to enter a bank with my hood up ( even though a hood only covers the top & back of your head ) ,
Why should they be allowed to wear something that is covering their whole face.

Is that not being discriminating towards me? If i have to follow those rules so should women who wear burkas.
( unless they are trying to rob the bank, in which case i recommend using one) ( JOKE )

But ... yeah anyway im not sure where this is going so...

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

It is funny how the propagandists managed to equate something becoming illegal with freedoms being added to the public. Usually, illegal things represented a prior freedom.

Why is it "racism"?
Muslims come in all colors.

My bank doesn't allow folks to wear sunglasses or hats.
Bet they allow burkas.
Not fair is it?

YOu completely changed your post. You had said that it was "racism".
edit on 4-3-2011 by OhZone because: added comment

Wow you totally beat me to the same point i was saying ,
2nd line Star for you : )

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

In all honesty, it is racism, basically, the idea hinges on womens rights, as well as the Muslim religion, as well as concerns over terrorism. All in all, an attack on Muslim men, however, we must carefully think, if you saw a Muslim woman with a burqua, would you think she was hiding an explosive, because, that would be a turn-around for the people that believed the anti-burqua laws were set in place to protect Muslim women. At the heart of it, is it freeing women from oppression, with the "excuse" that they are being prevented from hiding their identities in case they are terrorists, or, preventing terrorism with the "excuse" that we are liberating Muslim women?

So in effect, we have a crossover of the womens rights movement, and of anti-terror legislations.

You have to ask yourselves, when you read that first post, did you feel even the slightest ounce of hatred towards oppressive Muslim men, and the Muslim religion in general? Could it be that Muslim women like wearing a burqua? Perhaps they feel protected when they wear it, perhaps they are afraid to walk around on the street when their faces are not covered? Could it be, for them, the equivalant of preventing western women from hiding their breasts?

They are using emotionally charged words such as women having "no-choice" - this implicitly makes the assumption that muslim men are oppressive towards women, and that, is why it is racist.

Just some perspective.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

In reality it is still not Racism - to do with race
I feel sorry for people fleeing from war stricken countrys , i really do but you do not flee,move to a country for a better life and then try to impose your own beliefs on the people who already live there, Or even if you just move to a country, you should still have to follow their rules.

If you do not like the country's rules, dont go there it is a large world you know, you dont have to flee to the UK or France. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is also true.(IMO)

NOTE - i do not hate muslims

Edit _ you added that video in,after my post , i will watch it now though : )

Peace

edit on 4-3-2011 by johngtr because: Edit

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

You are correct in the sense that preventing one from hiding their face in situations where identification is neccessary for legal concerns exists, in that sense, it is the same as wearing a balaclava. However, that is not really the point, it is how their position was argued.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

They are using emotionally charged words such as women having "no-choice" - this implicitly makes the assumption that muslim men are oppressive towards women, and that, is why it is racist.

Now, saying what you said is kind of an understatement.

that video is the most oppressive thing, and its from a priviliged, carefree lifestyle at that, no real concerns, or hardships depicted.

Hatred of women.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

I understand that point, its not racist in the sense that you are talking about.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Racism is a delicate topic, lets just leave it at that.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Racism is a delicate topic, lets just leave it at that.
It's got nothing to do with racial discrimination, and even saying it's religious discrimination would be inaccurate. As Pat Condell says in this video, there's not a damn thing in the Koran about wearing a mobile tent:

Ban the burka

edit on 5-3-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fixed video link

top topics

join