It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not impressed with HD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ok, as with a lot of new technology, I tend to be the last to get it. I stayed on DOS until a little after Windows 95 came out. I did not get a cell phone until 2002. And, I recently finally bought a 32'' LCD HD tv, and I can say I do not like it. First, I will admit the picture quality itself is excellent, but that is as far as I go. It is kind of hard to explain, but everything looks fake, superimposed, maybe like a soap opera or something to do with depth perception. I do not have HD service from my satellite provider but it is like this on everything I watch, even DVDs. Now, other people tell me this is how we see things in real life, but with what I see on the screen is not how I see in real life, there is a significant difference here. After a while, it will get to me and start giving me a headache. Is this common or is this something that the tv manufacturers forgot to tell people about this type of tv? Ever since they came out, I have always noticed this but never put much emphasis on it because maybe I was not used to it and probably needed a little time with it. I have confirmed this since I bought one and for me, I do not think I am going to get used to it.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The TV's in our house are HD ready, but we don't have HD TV channels (we don't even have sky!). I've got an HD cable to connect my xbox to my tv though; the jump in quality was superb. I couldn't imagine going back to playing without it
edit on 4/3/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I think it's amazing!!! Maybe being an avid gamer and needing a more clear picture helps. On my old tv, playing Halo was difficult because everytime I moved it would blur. I'm thinking you just got a bad quality one. Some of them are faded and blurry. I have the vizio and its perfectly clear and vibrant. You can adjust the color if its too much.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
reply to post by Skewed

I'm thinking you just got a bad quality one. Some of them are faded and blurry. I have the vizio and its perfectly clear and vibrant. You can adjust the color if its too much.

No this is not the case, I can go to the store and every single tv they have on display appears this way to me. I do not feel that there is anything wrong with the tv, since every HD tv I have watched has had this same affect. The tube tv that I replaced or any tube tv for that matter never had this affect, unless I flipped over to certain soap operas that sometimes seem to have this same affect.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If you're using an HD tv without HD channels, it's probably stretching the 4:3 picture to 16:9. That makes everything look weird imo. You should turn stretching off, so you have the 4:3 picture with black bars on the sides. Or perhaps you're talking about the way 120hz looks? You either love it or hate it, it changes the look of everything. Maybe you could set it back to the standard 60hz to give you the standard look.

Or maybe you just really hate HD. If thats the case, you're weird lol.

Edit: Just seen your new post. It still sounds like your talking about the 120hz look. Seems like most tv's displayed in strores are 120hz nowadays. Can you comfirm if your tv is 60 or 120hz?
edit on 3/4/2011 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
If you're using an HD tv without HD channels, it's probably stretching the 4:3 picture to 16:9. That makes everything look weird imo. You should turn stretching off, so you have the 4:3 picture with black bars on the sides. Or perhaps you're talking about the way 120hz looks? You either love it or hate it, it changes the look of everything. Maybe you could set it back to the standard 60hz to give you the standard look.

Or maybe you just really hate HD. If thats the case, you're weird lol.

Edit: Just seen your new post. It still sounds like your talking about the 120hz look. Seems like most tv's displayed in strores are 120hz nowadays. Can you comfirm if your tv is 60 or 120hz?
edit on 3/4/2011 by goochball because: (no reason given)

If I recall right of the top of my head I have the picture size set to normal and it is 120hz. Would this still apply when I watch a DVD as well? Its not that I hate HD, liking it or disliking it is irrelevant, it is the fact that it messes with my head. My head, maybe that is the problem.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
It is kind of hard to explain, but everything looks fake, superimposed, maybe like a soap opera or something to do with depth perception.

I think I know what you're talking about. I purchased my first HDTV back in December and was frustrated with it too. Then I found a setting called Digital Natural Motion. Once I turned it off, I was much happier with the picture.

Look in the picture setup and see if you have something similar. That could be it!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I went HD several years ago. Now I can't stand to watch low resolution televisions. The picture may not look like you are there in person, but it is certainly a lot more detailed than non-HD.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

That seems to have fixed it, now I may actually be able to enjoy the thing.

join