It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird sound on my imac?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
every once in a while I hear a "knock" sound on my imac. It is really hard to describe..almost like someone threw a pebble on a pc. of wood. I have just recently started hearing this. I bought this computer in June 2009 and other than this knocking sound I haven't had any other problems.

BTW the knock sound is just one knock not like knock knock knock..if that makes sense. I hear it approximately 5-6 times a day.

Anyone know what might be going on?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
u caught me, I have a fetish with throwing pebbles at your home, actually might be a ball bearing in a fan perhaps

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yes, they had a recall on the macs.Apparently woodpecker eggs were laid in the manufacturing plant.A bunch of the macs have a small breed of woodpecker living in their computer,apparently they thrive from the warmth of the power supply.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
That's what you hear when the little Chinese kid inside it gets a smack in his face for working too slow....

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Hard drive activity at the time? A common symptom of a failing mechanical hard drive (not a solid state drive) is a knocking or ticking sound which is usually the read/write head jumping around, which is bad.

If at all possible I'd run some diagnostics on the drive itself. I'm not familiar with any tools to do this on a mac but I'm sure there are plenty.

There are also bootable testing disks you can download and burn, some a free, some will not be mentioned here. These are pretty much hardware independent and should be able to run a drive test on a mac no problem.

I'm not sure what the mac version would be, but if it were a windows box I'd be running a checkdisk test as well as a starting point.

Of course this is all assuming it's the drive, it could be a failing fan (but I'd expect to hear it more often). Try to make a note of what is going on with the computer at the time you hear this, were you accessing the disk? do you have a power save function that spins down the disks when not in use? In my windows based desktop the OS is on a SSD, but the storage drive is a standard sata 2 mechanical drive, when not in use it powers down, when trying to access it you'll get a momentary lag on the desktop, then you will actually hear the drive turn on and spin up.

=========

to the posters above, seriously guys, it's right in the T&C no 1 line posts, no off topic useless posts. If you can't offer any help, why bother posting half funny jokes.
edit on 4-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thanks all - I'll check it further with diagnostics.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Check the door,it is a neighbor who has been out of sugar.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Check the door,it is a neighbor who has been out of sugar.

really? sounds intresting.

new topics

top topics

join