It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rules MSM can lie in news reports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Why is beyond so many people that ALL news sources lie ?

In February 2003, Fox appealed the decision and an appellate court and had it overturned. Fox lawyers argued it was their first amendment right to report false information. In a six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals decided the FCC’s position against news distortion is only a “policy,” not a “law, rule, or regulation.”

www.philly2philly.com...

What makes anyone think FOX is any different than any other news source ?
The Court of Appeals decided the FCC’s position against news distortion is only a “policy,” not a “law, rule, or regulation.”
That ruling does not mean just FOX NEWS, it means , ALL NEWS SOURCES.

I guess it is human nature to believe what we want to believe, but realize the MSM does not have to tell the TRUTH, because there is no “law, rule, or regulation”, that says they do.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The courts have only confirmed what we here at ATS already know. All MSM lies. Intentionally.

It was nice of them to make it official though.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2011 by Klassified because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
they should atleast make a law where at the beggining of every broadcast they have a message saying some of this information may be falsefied, kind of like the warning before jackass about public safety etc....

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

exactly, because so many people trust them as being 100% legit and honest. There should be a disclaimer,

Or at least, "this news broadcast is for entertainment purpose only"

There should be fines levied to any major outlet intentionally falsifying news

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Fox News Canada was at the front of pushing for the laws to be relaxed in Canada to allow for this. To my utter amazement, the CRTC (canada's FCC) actually said no F'ing way. Horrah!

But yeah it was the bovine growth hormone in milk story from Fox that actually got this into the spotlight years ago. They ruled that news doesn't have to be news, and they can knowingly spread misinformation, in some cases endangering peoples lives, and it's all fine.

Pretty disgusting isn't it? But makes a lot of sense why you see MSNBC and FOX spreading flat out lies and ever EVER having to retract them. If they had the same laws there as in Canada, O'Reilly and the likes would be off the air, and possible in jail.

People are as surprised to hear this as they are that the police are in no way legally obligated to protect you.
edit on 4-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What is the point of news if what they report isn't true? That sounds like any TV show or movie. Maybe I should start getting my news from those instead.

Wonder how long before they require a disclaimer before each newscast that says "Based on a true story"?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Master

What is the point of news if what they report isn't true?

Because it works on those who don't know it's lies, or are too think to understand they are. People want to believe authority figures. Those medical experiments about electrocuting people because a guy in a lab coat told you, proves this. This also explains some of what happened in Nazi Germany.

The news anchors and reporters used to be looked up to, they used to report the truth and investigate. Some people still think they are. They aren't. They are paid talking heads openly spreading whatever the government and friends dictates to them.

"They found WMDs in Iraq"

This was widely reported, never retracted, and patently false, just even a few years ago 1 in 7 americans stopped on the street said they indeed found WMDs in Iraq.

THIS is why they do it, because they know for every one of us that are onto this scam, there are 100 people falling for it. Majority rule, and we're in the minority.
edit on 4-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Master

The point of the news is the same as everything on TV . RATINGS !

FOX NEWS set the bar for news reporting with this court ruling, any wonder why they getting caught in so many lies? Because the courts ruled they can.

It gives a whole new meaning to , "Fair and Balanced".

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Joseph Goebbels

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It is the viewers fault if they believe everything they see on TV.
Do research and fact-check it for yourself!
Don't be lazy and just think that one channel is gospel.

Those who trust the news and media could be called the 'blind leading the blind'.

There's so much propoganda blasted everyday on TV to get viewer to choose a side, start an argument, distort the facts, or blatantly hide from the truth...it's more than ridiculous.

The people who own the major channels are not dumb.
They know exactly what audience to cater to.
They know exactly what they can distort to fit their agenda.

It's not rocket science to see that.

That's why I choose to research what I see coming from a screen.
If, after a thorough examination of the facts, I decide to believe to disagree, so be it.

At least I do my homework.

Don't even think for one second that someone isn't out to influence you.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
The courts have only confirmed what we here at ATS already know. All MSM lies. Intentionally.

It was nice of them to make it official though.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2011 by Klassified because: Grammar

It was nice of them, smh TRUST YOURSELF!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I've gotten a slighttly different impression of the case, but I'd be glad to be set straight. I thought that the couple filed a lawsuit under a whistleblower law and claimed they had been wrongfully fired. They won on that claim only and were awarded the $425,000 (or was it $450,000). The award was for the wrongful firing. When appealed, the court said, basically, you can only get whistleblower protection if you're reporting a violation of a law, rule or regulation, which they weren't.

There are different accounts of what the underlying problem was, so I'm really guessing here, but I think Monsanto got in touch with the station and said we want to tell our side in this piece as well. management said fine, the reporters said it's not fine, Monsanto is lying, and it went on from there. Again this paragraph is only a guess, but it sounds reasonable to me.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Blame this guy! www.abovetopsecret.com... .
Thats what I say.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
News providers are in the business of making money. The way they have chosen to make their money is by providing information. They will provide the information that tends to make them more money.

When money is involved, all bets are off regarding honesty, integrity, scruples, morals, etc.

That is the nature of capitalism.

Edit- I wanted to also say that if an adult is so naive that they believe anything that they see on TV, well, they deserve what they get.
edit on 4-3-2011 by DragonTattooz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I love the news report at the begining of this video

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

What makes anyone think FOX is any different than any other news source ?

Dude, did you just say that?
For one it is owned by Murdock. A megelomaniac par exellance. This cat has been running around for decades trying to own ALL the media in the world. His newspaper The New York Post runs in the red year after year just to serve as a mouth piece for the machine.

I get it. We should not trust media. I don't. And like you,maybe, I haven't for decades. So certainly I understand the ways they are all the same. But Dude, it's a matter of degrees.

To dig that all the major media will warp our minds is one thing, but to underestimate the cold and calculated propaganda being blasted into the minds of our neighbors by the Fox megaphone is to completely misunderstand the trees for the forest.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
The point of the news is the same as everything on TV . RATINGS !

That makes sense seeing as, nowadays, everything is about the money rather then quality or preserving truth. Those corporate bigwigs have to have their nice cars. Heaven forbid they live without them.

This decision is really alarming. Of course, in our world where everything has to be over the top and sensationalist, is it really surprising to anyone here?

Although, since I'm from Canada, it doesn't affect me as much, and I don't watch the news generally anyways. ATS is where I get most of my news sources.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Dark Master because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Would you have prefered I said , "ABC,CBS,NBC AND CNN are no better than FOX . There is no difference.
They all lie !
Fox set the bar for all of them by taking the issue to the court of appeals.

For those that are slow ..............THE COURT OF APPEALS decided the FCC’s POSITION AGAINST NEWS DISTORTION is only a “POLICY,” NOT a “LAW, RULE, or REGULATION.”

There is no state or federal law that states anything about news sources lying..........which means they can lie .
There for, news sources don't have to answer to anyone, and they don't have to apoligize for their lies.

If everyone at ATS knows that all news sources lie why does anyone defend any news station or news person ?

edit on 4-3-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

You know that's a really good question. Who can we trust? Can we trust anyone really? I've come to the conclusion that we cannot. We can only get our information from a multitude of sources. We should of course try to listen to what people have to say so we know what the dominant train of thought is, and, we should take into account what alternative media has to say. But the reality is that we can't ever trust anyone 100%. So, your question is one that is worth to be asked.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I can't believe they actually went to court to fight for their right to lie and make up stories.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38a6aac9525e.jpg[/atsimg]

Its not like there aren't plenty of times they've been caught red handed at this but, to come out and defend the practice in court is gonna be a PR nightmare for them.

Fair & balanced my ass.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join