It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin State Representative Nick Milroy (D) is tackled by police while trying to enter office

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It seems tension continues to rise in Wisconsin. Apparently police are now being used for political purposes.

Wisconsin state Representative Nick Milroy (D) was tackled by police after he tried to enter the Capitol Building last night. Rep. Milroy was one of many Democrats who temporarily set up their office outside of the Capitol Building as a show of protest against Governor Walker's (R-WI) Budget Repair Bill. As the video shows, when trying to enter the Capitol Building to gain access to his office Milroy was tackled by officers guarding the entrance. After picking himself up off the ground Milroy forcefully tells the officers that he needs to get his clothes. The response of the officer at the scene is inaudible.

Video of Rep. Milroy Being Tackled
edit on 4-3-2011 by stephinrazin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
Apparently police are now being used for political purposes.

This is at the entrance to the capitol building where police are used all the time.

If you look at the clearer video here: www.wisn.com... you will see that he starts it by pushing the cop.
edit on 4/3/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is the GOP implementation of government in action.

Get ready for more and worse. The GOP has a war mindset... they want to cut spending everywhere but war, I notice, and now they are beginning to wage war on the people with whom they disagree.

And they have the gall to talk 'freedom' out the other side of their mouths. pppffffttt

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I can see the cops being justified in tackling him if he was attempting to leave his office. However, tackling him trying to get into his office makes no sense, after all, isn't that what he is suppose to be doing...getting back to work?

Seems to me that the cops used unnecessary force and could have potentially committed a criminal act.
edit on 4-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Lol, context... it's all about context:

A Dane County judge ruled Thursday that protesters could no longer spend the night to show their opposition to Gov. Scott Walker's proposal to eliminate nearly all collective bargaining rights for most public workers. Milroy was one of four Democratic Assembly members who moved their desks outside the Capitol Tuesday after access for the public was restricted.

ETA: Also, if you listen to the video, they didn't know that he was a an assembly member. They didn't even know he had an office in the building. The way it looks to me is that, for all they knew, he was just some guy / protester trying to push his way inside the building after they had been ordered to clear the building.
edit on 4/3/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
That is good enough for the scumbag elected men and women who are paid with citizens taxes to do a job they are refusing to do.

I say throw them all in jail.

They are servant to the people. But they soon forget that small fact.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Late Update: Mary Lou Keleher, a staffer for Milroy, told TPM that the representative was not arrested last night.

"He was just restrained," Keleher said.

According to Keleher, Milroy will be issuing a statement about the incident shortly.
tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com...

Despite the turmoil in Wisconsin, what the deuce is going on?. How can the Governor bar State Representatives from entering their own offices? Are the police acting lawfully? What the deuce?

I can't wait to hear Milroy's statement.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's beginning tho appear that the Nazi comparison may be more ligitimate the longer this goes on. Rachel talked about them sending Dog the absurd bounty hunter after them I thought it was an exageration but not much.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I believe they think they are acting in the interests of their constituents. If a politician does something you do not agree with that does not mean they are betraying their office.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
In the video it looks like he wasn't comlying.
If that treatment is good enough for the general populace, it's good enough for him.
Seems maybe he'll better understand it when he's unemployed for failing to fulfill his duties.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i would only post the second video wich shows he does not tell who he is and pushes the cop, the first video does not show the whole story.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Who cares if hes a representative or not the gestapo police shouldnt be pushing people down anyways. This is half the problem we have with police brutality now days these cops act like a bunch of thugs. This isnt limited to wis. either it happens all over america police forget theyre supposed to protect and serve not play fight club on citizens while they hide behind there bafges.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

You obviously didn't watch the second video close enough, an unidentified man walks up to the entrence and immediately tries to shove the officer out of the way. This is one of the rare cases where the cops didn't use excessive or unncessary force, they didn't taze or shoot him did they? The guy assulted a police officer without provocation and was met with equal force.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

It may be that the Congressman did initiate the altercation. What I ask if he had been a regular citizen what right do they have to keep him out? What is the state of things when police keep citizens from having their voice heard?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
sry double post.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I can see the mindset of the government repubs as noted in some replies above this one.

But I fail to understand how in this country under existing laws the democratic senators are "forced" to return. It seems that these dems have the full legal right to boycott the chambers in effect to cancel or postpone the vote as this is the rule of the Senate there. The rule is a quorum is required for specific votes and the dems have the right to not be there for a quorum.

This repub attempt to force dems around the state to succumb to their dogma and antics is outside our form of government, particularly, representative government as is practiced in America. Dems can do as they please including not showing up to effect their rights and the rights of the citizens who elected them to represent the voters.

I sense a complete disconnect with our form of government by the repubs in this dispute...even clearer is the man behind the machine...enrich the corporations on the backs of taxpayers, and to cause great fear among all citizens of that state to fear layoffs and loss of homes and jobs, all the time maintaining that the state is broke.

Unfortunately, this state is quite liquid as CAFR reports indicate $127,000,000,000 in various governmental agencies of the state, not to mention any cities, counties, or municipalities also contributing to CAFR runds.

link is google CAFRMAN...all states have CAFRs and NON of the states are broke by any means...this entire budget crisis is manufactured, IMHO to enrich corporations and by having the states sell public assets, to rape the public taxpayer even more.

Thanks to all...link up and get wise

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

Wasn't the building shut down to prevent protesters from being inside? I would say the police had every right to keep everybody out under the circumstances. They have to worry about not having people staying in the building unsupervised for liability purposes and also for fear of rioters causing damage.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

In response to the enormous protests from union supporters, state officials have been allowing only a limited number of people into the Capitol this week, despite a judge's order saying it must remain open to the public.

Cops tackle lawmaker in Wisconsin

Interpret this however you wish. The way I read it is that the police were in direct violation of a judges order.

edit on 4-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

A judge also ordered the building locked down until Monday morning, so it was closed at the time he was attempting to gain entry. Perhaps, if instead of immediately pushing the officer, he would have identified himself and provided id they may have let him go get his things. We won't know now, and perhaps this was a publicity stunt on the representative's part.
Either way, building was closed and he assulted the officer.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

My point is that the governing institutions are supposed to be representative. What does it say where the people are prevented from assembling by police? Does that not point to the reality that the people are not represented? Who cares about possible property damage, or public discontent. It is justifiable if the institutions no longer fulfill their role of representing the population. This idea that somehow government is sacrosanct, or above all laws that us mere mortals must abide is crazy. The state can break any law, but we are supposed to tow the line until all our freedom is gone!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join