It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More carry-on luggage costing TSA quarter-billion a year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Article

WASHINGTON – Choosing to carry your luggage onto a plane instead of checking it with an airline might save you a few bucks at the ticket counter but it's costing taxpayers about a quarter-billion dollars a year.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Congress this week that luggage fees have prompted more passengers to hold onto their bags, which means more items for Transportation Security Administration officers to inspect at security checkpoints at a cost of about $260 million annually.

Of course, blame it on the people that are trying to save money in the current economic times.....

Wait, now TSA is concerned about taxpayer money? Never thought I would see that one coming.... Well atleast they have a good idea about how to make up that quater of a billion (sarcasm)

"Checked bagged fees are increasing, it looks like, the cost to TSA because people don't want to pay the fees so they are not checking bags and putting more on the planes," Landrieu said the hearing Wednesday. "My question is, do the taxpayers have to pick up this fee? Or should we be looking at the airlines for some of the profits that they make from these fees to offset the cost the taxpayer."

Without commenting on the question of airlines paying more, Napolitano said an increase in airport security fees — passengers pay up to $5 for each one-way ticket — would bring her department about $600 million a year.

Make the people pay more!

Actually, I have a better idea....get rid of the TSA. That would save alot of money, right?

Didnt some box cutters bypass the TSA not too long ago? Oh, and all those other things TSA related.....um.....has the TSA actually done any good?
edit on 4-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
i remember a time when flying was an adventure, you were treated with respect and courtesy, headphone and meals were free and you can drink all the booze you want.

now you're herded onto a plane like cattle and given your choice of radiation poisoning or sexual assault.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

It's like Bush said "they hate us for our freedoms"; so freedoms and personal sovereignty had to go. Now most of those freedoms are merely privileges; so enjoy them while you're still allowed!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Is that the bush who is wanted for war crimes investigation is a bounty on his head?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

So let me get this straight..
The department say,

Security Administration officers to inspect at security checkpoints at a cost of about $260 million annually.

So the idiots answer is,

Without commenting on the question of airlines paying more, Napolitano said an increase in airport security fees — passengers pay up to $5 for each one-way ticket — would bring her department about $600 million a year.

So not only do they feel the need to manhandle innocent civilians for no reason but they wish to profit from it to the tune of $340 million???

Wake up you guys in the US...........
When's enough really enough ??

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Isnt it funny how they say that it costs $260 million for checking carry-on luggage, and they come up with this idea to add a $5 fee (TAX!!!!!), which would give them about $600 million? $600 million - $260 million.......thats $340 million......

More than double the original cost!!!!!!!!!! What great business deal!!!!!!

I wonder where that extra profit will go? Doubt they will even tell us.

edit: TSA is just so damn......funny....haha funny because theyre idiots

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
haha.. what a joke...

it is a joke isn't it?

I have to admit that I have had just about enough of this nonsense..

new topics

top topics

join